Slim’s (Jimmy Tippetts) annual live AZ deer hunt!

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Well folks that’s a wrap! It was a frosty night sleeping on the ground. They didn’t come back but I’m sure they will tomorrow or the next day, oh well that’s hunting. This year was a tough one. Those coues kicked my ass! The only action I had the whole time was when I laid off the coues area and went to where the mule deer were. I guess I better stick to hunting muleys. Thank you to all who followed and kept me company. If anyone has questions about gear, food, tactics, or whatever, feel free to ask I’m more than happy to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you for letting us live vicariously through you on this hunt!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

colersu22

WKR
Did you take the doe decoy like last year? I thought I remembered you using that to stalk into your buck last year.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Enjoyed following along. Next year you going after mule deer or coues again

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Did you take the doe decoy like last year? I thought I remembered you using that to stalk into your buck last year.

Yes I did. It’s kind of a pain to carry around (always snagging on something). It works in the right scenario though. If they are directly in front of you and you rise from a bush or step out from a tree, you’ll get a little extra time for a shot.

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Enjoyed following along. Next year you going after mule deer or coues again

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Thanks for following, I hope you enjoyed as well. Next year it’ll probably be mule deer. I feel like I know that area VERY well for mule deer, coues not so much . If I decide to hunt coues again , I think I’d be better off hitting those southern units closer to the border. Southeast of Phoenix seems a little easier to glass up because the landscape is a little different. Mountains aren’t as steep either.

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Thank you for letting us live vicariously through you on this hunt!!

Thanks for keeping me company Tanya! Hopefully I’ve convinced you and Ryan to move down south where it’s warm

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
I don’t need any convincing and I think Ryan is extremely close!

krausejmk

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you very much for taking us along. I’m going to have to try this trip in the near future!

Great thread I enjoyed it, but as you know, you still have the summer and Dec to get them lil over grown rabbits.
Let the story continue.... we all enjoyed you humor, struggles and hard work.
I was hitting 12000 steps in the AM and half that in the evening and thought I was racking p mileage, til I saw your totals.
The desert is tough walking too- noisy, lots of looking at every step, for loose rocks, critters, cacti, oh and trying to see deer.
:)

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Great thread I enjoyed it, but as you know, you still have the summer and Dec to get them lil over grown rabbits.
Let the story continue.... we all enjoyed you humor, struggles and hard work.
I was hitting 12000 steps in the AM and half that in the evening and thought I was racking p mileage, til I saw your totals.
The desert is tough walking too- noisy, lots of looking at every step, for loose rocks, critters, cacti, oh and trying to see deer.
:)

Thanks bud! This will be continued. I’m not sure about summer because of other tags (if I freakin draw this year) but I’ll probably try one more weekend in January. Plus I’m definitely going back December 28- January 6 next year. Maybe I’ll fill 2 tags that trip or possibly 3 if I draw javalina!

Thanks bud! This will be continued. I’m not sure about summer because of other tags (if I freakin draw this year) but I’ll probably try one more weekend in January. Plus I’m definitely going back December 28- January 6 next year. Maybe I’ll fill 2 tags that trip or possibly 3 if I draw javalina!

Yea I am heading back to So AZ in 2 weeks to wrap up my Jan hunt. Don't know if I really want to hunt there in July- Aug ( 120 degrees) lol
My summers are filled with Utah, Idaho any way.
Almost All OTC.

Never hunted them lil white tails (Coues) but one day I might, but will first make sure I get a tan for layer swapping in early pre-dawn scenarios
haha

hat desert is so fun and so different in many ways.

Bummed you didn't seal the deal. You got me excited for my first trip out there to Az. Leave Friday to give a go for the first time. Picked a spot on a map and going to give her hell. How much of a concern should scorpions be? I was joking with my buddy about a midday nap up on a mountain and having them crawling on us.

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Bummed you didn't seal the deal. You got me excited for my first trip out there to Az. Leave Friday to give a go for the first time. Picked a spot on a map and going to give her hell. How much of a concern should scorpions be? I was joking with my buddy about a midday nap up on a mountain and having them crawling on us.

I was hunting coues this time which are a little harder than mule deer imo. Don’t let my hunt deflate you. It happens some times when hunting with bow in hand. Even if you aren’t successful, you’ll learn a lot. I wouldn’t worry about scorpions, I’ve never seen one while hunting in AZ. Kinda like lions, you never see them but you know they are there lol.