Slim’s (Jimmy Tippetts) annual live AZ deer hunt!

vanish

WKR
Thanks for bringing us along Slim.

My in-laws have a property just south of the Galiuros. We typically spend a few days there before Christmas.

Its hard not to follow in your shoes and pick up a deer tag down there, but I haven't been able to convince myself I want to pony up $450 for the chance to hunt one of those little guys.

R_Nues

FNG
I really enjoyed reading this, thanks for all your posts and taking us along with you!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Thanks for bringing us along Slim.

My in-laws have a property just south of the Galiuros. We typically spend a few days there before Christmas.

Its hard not to follow in your shoes and pick up a deer tag down there, but I haven't been able to convince myself I want to pony up $450 for the chance to hunt one of those little guys.

What’s cool about that tag is you can hunt either mule deer or coues. You can hunt all of January, early season August, and last two weeks of December. Plus since you already have your license you might as well put in for elk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Jim. This was great to follow. Question: what’s the difference between the areas the muleys use vs the coues?

Last edited:
OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Thanks Jim. This was great to follow. Question: what’s he difference between the areas the muleys use vs the coues?

In the unit I hunt, the rutting muleys are down low in the coulees around 3000-4000’ elevation. The coues are at around 4500-6000’ elevation. I see some coues does down low but not very many. When the coues begin to rut it might change. I’m always there the first week of January and the muleys are always rutting. I have only seen the coues rutting once during that time and it was the year it snowed on New Year’s Eve. I’m pretty sure coues rut in that area 2nd week of January thru the 1st week of February on average.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
In the unit I hunt, the rutting muleys are down low in the coulees around 3000-4000’ elevation. The coues are at around 4500-6000’ elevation. I see some coues does down low but not very many. When the coues begin to rut it might change. I’m always there the first week of January and the muleys are always rutting. I have only seen the coues rutting once during that time and it was the year it snowed on New Year’s Eve. I’m pretty sure coues rut in that area 2nd week of January thru the 1st week of February on average.

Interesting creatures. I’ve heard that holds true clear down to Hermosillo