Slim’s (Jimmy Tippetts) annual live AZ deer hunt!

Slim Jim

WKR
Well it’s that time of year again to head down south to AZ and chase some deer with my bow! Crazy how fast time goes by, it seems like I was just down there. The last few times I’ve been down south I’ve been lucky enough to harvest a few mule deer and javalina. For those that have followed my previous years, the hunts didn’t last very long as things happened pretty quick. Hopefully this one will last a little longer. I’m pretty sure it will because this year I’ve got a different plan. This year I’m going to be chasing the elusive desert ghost, the coues deer! My very first time hunting with a bow was in AZ on an otc tag. I had a chance at a nice 3x3 coues buck at 41 yards and missed. 41 yards back then was a LONG shot for me. Sure hope that opportunity presents itself again. I’ll be solo on this hunt which I like while deer hunting because everything is much quieter and less scent in the area. Gonna have you guys as company though. I don’t want explain everything thing right now(game plan, diet, gear, etc.) because if you guys are anything like myself, you don’t have time to read a lot of text at once. Probably why I read a lot of articles but never a book . Don’t worry though because I’m leaving early Saturday morning the 30th and I’ll be posting regularly before and during the hunt. Hopefully I can keep it interesting and helpful for those looking to do an otc AZ archery hunt or those who’s season is over. Stay tuned!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weaver

WKR
Good luck!
Hunted coues for the first time in 2016. Although I didnt get one, it was one of my most memorable hunts. Won't make it this year but I'm making plans for 2018.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Happy Hunting! Looking forward to hearing about your hunt. Headed out for the 3rd week in Jan. to chase mule and coues deer.

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
On this hunt I have until the 7th to get it done. I’ll have a base camp and spike out from there. There are 3 different spots that I want to hunt. Each of these spots have a water hole at them and are at the perfect elevation for coues. The first one I’m going to work is about 3-3 1/2 miles into wilderness from base camp ⛺️. Here is a shed I found 2 seasons ago in the same area
fe9f142add97cbf6091edfc06e2f01d2.jpg

In each spot I’ll have to pack in water because I’m not gonna filter from those stagnant ponds. Gonna bring in 3 days of food and water. Hopefully the first spot holds a good buck🤞. If not, then when I reload back at base camp, I’ll move on to the next area.

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Going out for a hike this morning but before I head out I thought I’d post my pack list. If you have any questions on gear let me know, I’ll try to answer them.
6c903b0fcbdd16f264cae3c562f570be.jpg

Sleep system
Copper Spur ul1
Air mattress (Thermarest)
Down sleeping bag (mountain hardware)
Trekking poles (carbon)

Optics
10x42 binos (Meoptas)
Spotting scope (Vortex razor 65)
Rangefinder (Lieca 1000)
Tripod (Brunton carbon)
Extra tripod adapter (for photos and binos)
Phoneskope
Shutter button
Vortex bino/tripod adapter

Kill kit
50’ paracord
Tag bag game bags
Kifaru meat baggie
Large trash bag
Latex gloves
Havalon w/ extra blades

Cookware / water
Modified Jetboil cup
Soto stove
Fuel
32 oz. nalgene bottle
Spork
10L msr bladder
3L platypus bladder

Rain gear
Sitka dewpoint jacket
REI rain pants
REI gaiters (crocs)

Survival
Steripen UV purifier
Magnesium flint
Petroleum wicks (6)
Lighter
Small gps
Benadryl
Motrin
Tenacious tape
Aquamira water purifying tablets
Leatherman skeletool
Easton allen wrench
Sol 3oz sleeping bag

Hygiene
Floss
Travel size toothpaste
Travel size toothbrush
Wet wipes
Toilet paper

Licenses / wallet
Tags
Hunting license
Money/cards
Drivers license
Keys

Power
Anker 20000 mh battery
Extra rangefinder battery
3 Extra AAA batteries
Cords for power supplies
Headlamp

Clothing
Wool socks (Darn Tough)
1 pair of extra thick stalking socks
One pair thermal underwear (weather permitting)
Eddie Bauer guided lined pro pants
FirstLite aerowool long sleeve camo top
Hoodie (thin sun hoody early season/thick Sitka late season)
Down jacket
Boots (Crispi Thors)
Camo neck gaiter
Beanie (Wool)
Mesh back hat
Gloves (thin/thick- season dependent)
Moccasin slippers (for stalking)
Trapper hat

Weapon
Bow (Hoyt carbon defiant)
2 releases (Spot Hogg wiseguy)
8 arrows (gold tip kinetic piece platinums)
8 broadheads (rage hypodermics)
Decoy
Cold steel fixed blade knife
Small sheds for rattling

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
While on my hike yesterday I found this weird looking buck. Still in velvet with thick bases out to about 26” wide then a few thin small crabs coming out the end. Strange, he’s either a cactus buck or an old regressed one.
2a4fb9f63e0231681c56def70c982964.jpg
d3719b1f1622249fe81b3341eb38bede.jpg

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Food is all ready to go! I like to put daily food, all but dinner, into a freezer quart bags. Here I’ve got 8 days worth of quart bags, 6 dehydrated dinners, and I’ll have 2 base camp dinners not shown (chili dogs and cheese steaks). The small sandwich bag contains my via coffee, mtn ops ignite, and some other flavored drink mixes.
883ecb4dc2dec347d92ae20740622ac9.jpg

colersu22

WKR
Good luck Slim, I enjoyed your hunt last year even though it was short lived.

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Thanks you guys! I’ve got the truck and pack loaded for an early AM departure. Can’t wait to see what the desert has in store for me this year. I don’t know what it is but I’m feeling good about this one
476bd39de927fc95d596d218cb340a6a.jpg

aa21d3c66a1ad1fe4b3b251018dc839d.jpg

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Base camp is set up and campfire ready to be burned!
Just got to throw my pack on and head in. Timing is perfect I should get there just in time to set up spike camp and evening glass
84e8a1491f9aa21d97e31b7ac59ddb16.jpg
3045c2e5ebab552e19f12c7212a17a95.jpg