2018 Az Archery Mule Deer Hunt

OP
mfllood3800
Just had a guy I don't know, send me a pic of this deer from a week before I shot him. He said he had been chasing this deer for 3 years. Will be interesting to hear the history of the ole guy. Face Book can be a wonderful thing. Some how he saw a pic my wife put up, and made a comment on it.

MAVinWA

Lil-Rokslider
Based in WA, OTC archery public land in AZ, UT, so
congrats, nice buck and good story to follow along.

I spent the first weekend scouting and last 2 long weekends (Friday>Monday trips) in Cibola area. Focused on washes leading east to Trigo Mountains. Glassed up a few does, no bucks and lots of OHV types driving the washes. Did spot over 40 wild burros, which was kinda cool.

BTW: deer hunt areas on Cibola Refuge so-so. Spent 2 days scouting & hiking into the archery areas, saw no deer, few tracks. However the closed area 1.5miles north of hunt boundary had a large herd of muleys and several big bucks.
Won't hunt OTC Deer in Cibola refuge areas and waste time again.

Last edited:
OP
mfllood3800
A friend of mine told me the Cibola Refuge area has changed a lot of things not good for OTC I've never hunted it

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

MAVinWA

Lil-Rokslider
Based in WA, OTC archery public land in AZ, UT, so
Like that wide rack, very unique with whitetail-ish characteristics. Had it been taken in 24b, I'd guess it had some whitetail genes.

Actually talked to 2 different archery deer hunters, both received citations from FWS for hunting in Cibola refuge closed areas. Perhaps there were some changes to the boundaries. They had walked in too far, close to the vast alfalfa fields of the closed area and nearby private farm lands alfalfa fields.
I was license checked by FWS at my vehicle and 1/2 mile out in the desert scrub! Walked down a dried, mud type wash only to come around the corner and hear; "how are you doing...".
Concluded the FWS really enforces, checks this area a lot.

AKBC

Lil-Rokslider
70 degrees and look at that sun!! Hope I don’t fall on the ice later when I walk the dog. Haha, I need to get out of AK in the Winter.

Beautiful deer; congratulations and thanks for sharing.

OP
mfllood3800
Haha yes it was nice I left Utah 4 days ago and it was 0 cloudy and freezing

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
mfllood3800
Had a few other hunters reach out with history on this deer.
One group had been chasing him for over 3 years, and called the old deer OJ, cause he was hard to catch.

Another guy called him Chocolate.

And another guy had a shot on him the week prior to me harvesting him. A close range shot that hit a rock and deflected his arrow.

They sent me pics of him just a week prior to my taking him.

That is pretty cool info to have.

OP
mfllood3800
Just had another guy reach out and I quote him, "we watched this buck last year try to mount a non responsive doe and he ended up gorging her to death"
This guy was serious about his business.
I remember when I was in close and does scattered every where, I thought I blew them out, seems maybe his reputation was well known.

Some folks have asked so I will post. I don't "trophy" hunt, though when the opportunity arises I will shoot the biggest possible. He was 28" wide (looked way wider to me) and scored 160 His under side neck area is super white and of course his rack looks like a white tail. I think he has some Sonoran white tail in him some how.
e42ff51de734879cb82ab489b11c87ed.jpg

Last edited: