2018 Az Archery Mule Deer Hunt

I wasn't going to post on here, cause I will be down here in Az working more than hunting, but thought what the heck.
I left chilly Utah this morning around 9:00 am. Got into sunny Az around 3:00. Once unpacked I loaded up some gear in the Ranger and headed out to the washes I hunted first part of January on foot.

I had marked way points on my Onx Maps rig and found some trails to get in there. (Beats walking the 3.5 miles)
I dropped down in my first wash, kicked up a dozen does, and there were 2 bucks in with them.
One insignificant, the other not much better but a forky bigger than normal..

With the Ranger running, I stepped to the back , got my bow out, nocked an arrow, and could've dropped him there at 50 yards.

My nephew sent me a pic of a huge wide 4 main frame, so I am gonna be a little patient.

I have 4 days down here and hope to get out a few more times and will report in hopefully with some pics.
The rut is on the down side it looks, but maybe there is a late bloomer some where.
71104016f3a576db370bdde4a5afb028.jpg

amp713

WKR
Good luck! I'll be heading down in December more than likely, I may have to hit you up for some info haha

OP
mfllood3800
Anything I can do to help I will....
I'm down south west part of the state.

OP
mfllood3800
Went out this AM only saw 2 does 2 yearlings.
Went out early this AM and set up 3 miles off the hay field hoping to intersect the bucks at the pinch point. Nothing visible came thru.

I did hear something earlier behind me in the thick nasty stuff that sounded like a buck walking thru to bed. I waited and nothing. I never heard it again so I approached it like he was in there. I headed out that way and nothing there.

On my way out I glassed the known trails and nothing. I dropped in another wash and bumped 4 flat heads.

Then I went to work.
Just got done, and getting ready to head back out to glass and set up an ambush.

Heard another rumor about a guy who shot at a 34" wide main, @ 17 yards and a rock deflected his arrow... That's 2 big boys I have heard of- just gotta get their pattern down. I have located 2 herds of does, but only 2 small bucks and pretty sure those does arent theirs. Looking for hot does with nose down big boys.

OP
mfllood3800
Here is one of the big ones another guy bumped
212809c7b76607c481a10b0f47c4faef.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
mfllood3800
They say bow hunting is a game of inches, tonight it was yards.
I had a huge 2x3 come right by me broad side at 12 Yards. I was set up t have them go at a 45 degree angle to the fields. Nope, he walks parallel to the field, turns and looks at me at 15 yards, walks stops, then kind of circles me trying to get my wind. I almost laughed. He should've just busted out of there. He never did give me a shot. If he would've walked to the field like all the does, I would have had him quartering away at 40.

But I found where spends the day time, came out of the river bottom thickets. I'll be in there waiting for him tomorrow morning.
That was fun. Frustrating but fun.
12 yards- come on man.....

OP
mfllood3800
Glassed a big 4, dropped in to get on him, heard something between me and where he should've been...
A snow bird, playing golf in the wash

No joke
A guy with a gold club hitting golf balls
Who does that?

He asked me if I saw any, I said I did, until he showed up
He was a hunter, not hunting this hunt
He felt bad, but really, that was a waste of an hour

Public land woes

OP
mfllood3800
Went out tonight, got up high and glassed up 4 bucks, 3 shooters. They were surrounded by about 15 does. No way I could get in on them, too many eyes.
I tried to get between their bed and feeding. It is so awesome to watch these things. Instead of come to me (300 yards, they went straight up over the bluff I parked my ranger at.
I should've stayed in it and saved a 1.5 mile hike in to cut them off.
lol

There was another herd joining these others and all but 2 (spike, doe) dropped in the same wash and hooked up with the herd.
That spike and dow stayed on a high peak and watched the wash like look outs. It was the most fascinating thing I had seen. They finally caught up them when all the deer decided which way they were going to head out.

Never did see the big 4 pointer, but plenty of forkys and 3's.

Good news is there is a doe in heat, she has some unique markings on her left side, so if I can locate her tomorrow, pretty sure the mens glee club will be close by. She was being harassed all night. Must be close

OP
mfllood3800
So I'm sitting up here won't be light for a while enjoying how beautiful this desert is

The small town is about a mile and a half away
b7260f689a16a1ba0987a7f124f26181.jpg

OP
mfllood3800
I am sitting over the wash that I have seen the most action in hoping it continues before tomorrow Saturday when all the weekend warriors show up

OP
mfllood3800
4 hour stalk
More later....
Getting him processed and on ice
Its 70 degrees out
76fcb7423292a8ae59781e1af9104931.jpg
5d30f390908c940f9bbf54c57bc97162.jpg
40fb39d3a27c32e4a88e1c77c87da3f0.jpg

Last edited:
Wow that’s a super unique buck! I like how he has a whitetailish 4x4 rack. Just skimmed through your posts it sounds like you earned it! I can’t wait to do a late Arizona hunt someday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mfllood3800
I got out early this morning, watching the sun rise, hoping this big 4 would come thru again. I saw a herd the night before that had 4 bucks and about 12-15 does in it. One of those buck had a bad limp. This morning about an hour after light, I saw deer coming my way about3/4 mile away. One of them had a limp. I knew the herd with hot does was coming, so I dropped in the wash and set up. I sat there for over an hour waiting.

I finally decided to go to them, I was getting impatient.

OP
mfllood3800
I glassed up a doe feeding so I backed out a ways. She moved on, so I headed in again, and glassed up 2 more does, so I figured they finally made it to me. I got down behind a small bush and kept glassing all in front of me. By now doe were every where. Then they started running, I thought my stalk blew them out. I had been crawling for 2 more hours trying to get a better vantage point.
That's when the big 4 stepped out, he was chasing every doe in there and they were going nuts.

OP
mfllood3800
He gave me a few good looks but never stayed still long enough to get him. Finally at 62 yards I let one go. It was a pass thru. He didn't go 25 yards. When the bow went off, it sounded like a cattle drive in that wash, there must've been over 20 deer around me, and all chaos broke loose, deer were running every where, I lost track of my buck in all that commotion. But I was able to get to him and get him processed as fast as I could.
It was now pushing 70 degrees and time was critical.

I like how he looks like a big white tail. He is very old, no teeth on bottom, and regressing horns. Pretty sure last year he may have been a 5x4.

Anyway I am glad my hunts are over, its been a grind since last August and I am tired.

OP
mfllood3800
Congrats on a great deer!! Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thx....
It's always a bit more pressure when you take your hunt to the "Live", section.
lol
But I knw when I have followed others stories it was cool. Made me feel like a part of it.