Getting ready for the fallow deer rut in Australia

Hi all,

I figured I'd try and contribute more stories to this forum, as I always seem to forget it has a stories section.

Within a few weeks, the fallow deer in my hunting patches will start rutting and it's an exciting time of year. I'm sure you all know how it is. I've spent a fair bit of time scouting over summer and also getting ready over the last couple of weekends. I bought myself a compound bow recently so I'm keen to try and get out with that as much as possible.

The following is some pictures from a few recent hunts to give you an idea of what I've been up to.

I've shot plenty of deer with a rifle before, but my brother never had. I took him out to scout around a week or so ago to have a look about before the rut started. He took one of my rifles and was lucky to shoot this nice buck. He was rolling fat and has been eating superbly.

A few pictures of him on the ground and us taking some meat off him.

Antlers and meat are both important to us.

Insane amounts of fat on him.

OP
W
My brother went home after the successful morning and I ended up staying another night. I helped out the farmer with a lot of cattle work over the afternoon and went out for a look that evening. It was the first time I'd taken my bow for a walk. No game was seen but I found some good rubs.

There were a few storms about.

I woke up early the next morning and went out again. I found 2 more bucks hanging around together but blew the stalk. I was stuffing around with my phone trying to get some pictures of them and got careless. They saw me and took off. I need to remember that the hard work begins with a bow when you actually see the animal. It was a great experience, though.

I found some more rubs and took some photos of the scenery. This isn't the main area I'll be hunting during the rut but I'll spend a little bit of time here. I'm not too familiar with it so I thought I'd have a good look around.

OP
W
My rig after the hunt with my dog on the back, antlers in the tray, and towing a horse back to a property for the farmer. I made the 5 hour drive back home after this.

Recently, I gained access to a new spot a lot closer to home, so I took my bow for a walk up in those mountains to train for the rut again. I ended up seeing some feral goats but they didn't present a shot, despite me being a lot more patient and putting myself in a good position. That's how it goes, ey?

Interesting spot in a creek on the walk up the mountain. The goats seem to lick these rocks.

The creek is in a lot of shade so some interesting trees grow there.

I found a relatively flat and open spot on the hike up the mountain, and there were goats there.

I put the stalk on this white billy. He was facing away from me so I couldn't shoot. He ended up lazily getting up and following the rest of the mob he was with, but he never turned broadside for me.

The open spot where the goats were.

OP
W
Nice view from up top.

My Zamberlans are extremely comfortable in this terrain but I think the rugged rocky stuff might be a bit tough on their soles.

Looking down towards my car.

A picture from my car, looking back up towards the bench where I was sitting.

No goats down but it was good to have a look around the new spot and I may get up there again this weekend if I get back from working in the city early enough.

Thanks for looking, everyone. :)