Rain-Forest Fallow Buck

wilkes

Lil-Rokslider
10 years ago, I moved across the country. On my first trip through the countryside, I saw a little Fallow deer hanging around at the side of the road near a popular tourist area....

4 years later I took up hunting and would disappear into the Eastern hills of Victoria in search of the mighty Sambar deer. I did wonder from time to time if there was a stable population of Fallow near that tourist area... Over the last 6 years I have researched, studied maps and dreamed about heading back down for a proper look.

With the upcoming seasonal Fallow rut, I decided that this would be the year I satisfied my curiosity and head down for a better scouting mission. After a 4 hour drive, I headed around a loose gravel road among the Rain-forest and 4 deer ran in front of my car.

[video=youtube_share;7QqzmSUo5VA]https://youtu.be/7QqzmSUo5VA[/video]

As the day rolled on I saw several other deer hanging around the fringe country of nearby farms. This is typical for this species. I was extremely satisfied that I had finally satisfied my itch and found that there was a healthy herd in this area. With the Rut around the corner and with my mind on taking my first Buck, I left the deer for the time being and began planning for my next trip.

I knew getting more time off would be a stretch, with two small children; the youngest being only 6 months old. Hall passes were valuable and rare! I needed to really put in the daddy time at home to squeeze the hunt in during the Rut.

OP
wilkes

wilkes

Lil-Rokslider
I spent the next month dreaming constantly about the upcoming hunt. Would I see a Buck? Will I finally hear one 'Croak'? Should I bring the bow or the rifle? BOTH?!

The day arrived. I have 1 and 1/2 days to hunt. I decided that would be plenty and I would not waste a single minute while out in the bush. With the bow sighted in and some 'croaking' heard immediately after leaving the car, I was PUMPED!!!

View attachment 71146
View attachment 71147
View attachment 71148

OP
wilkes

wilkes

Lil-Rokslider
I moved along the edges of farm fringe country. This time of year the Fallow bucks move back in to the herd to breed after a period of isolation. They mark their territory, chase the girls and get very vocal.

As I followed the grunts and croaks, I constantly reminded myself to hunt smart. Don't get too excited and make noise... Don't run... Look and listen...

I caught this girl crossing a river and moving toward the feeding herd.
View attachment 71149

OP
wilkes

wilkes

Lil-Rokslider
I kept checking the wind, being sure to walk into it. I heard two Bucks fighting and kept concealed among the trees and ferns. All of a sudden I see movement at 5 yards.

View attachment 71150

OP
wilkes

wilkes

Lil-Rokslider
I soon realized that if I didn't put the camera down and pick up the rifle, my chances at the Buck of a lifetime would slip away.

I had a clear shot with the 300WM. The Kimber Mountain Ascent croaked back and after one last effort to stand, the old warrior slept.

I couldn't believe the size of this Buck... truly a dream animal.

View attachment 71151
View attachment 71152

OP
wilkes

wilkes

Lil-Rokslider
Video of the hunt:

[video=youtube_share;Ef722a1B84w]https://youtu.be/Ef722a1B84w[/video]