Moving West

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
Finally moving out of Florida in a few days. We bought some property in the Bitterroot Valley near Hamilton, MT this year however work is taking us to El Paso, TX. I know from reading posts that there are a few Roksliders in the Bitterroot but haven't seen any from El Paso. Any Sliders out there?

boom

WKR
i grew up in El Paso!!

my brother still lives there and while he doenst do forums, he is a hunting fool. there is a large hunting community there. if you are a bowhunter, you have to search for a bow-shop. my brother buys his gear from Las Crusas..about one hour away with light traffic. they JUST opened a Cabelas (in el paso) there and he said it is a good store to have around. so the gear should get better.

hunting..man. it can get great there. NM is a right next door and it is hunting central. big giant fast flying white wing doves..i've seen them do barrel rolls to dodge my shots. local dairies us to let us shoot at the pigeon population. Ruidoso NM is just right there..and that us UNIT 36 for elk. whoa..need i say more?

white sands..they have ORNX hunts..one of them is a once in a lifetime hunt. stay friendly..talk to people. i've been invited to some epic hunts. killed my first Aoudad in the Davis mountiains just east of el paso.

and do not let the locals talk you into trying Chico tacos.. okay try them, but consider yourself warned. best be buzzed on beer.

El Paso is a fun place. learn to love mexican food. their style of mexican food is different from everywhere else.

you working at Ft Bliss?

Graindrain

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Midland. Not real close but close in West Texas terms.

I can get there in a day, which makes it nearby around here.

OP
Fjelljeger

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
I've been out to El Paso, Las Cruces and Ruidoso a few times now and am getting fairly acquainted with the area. Been in elk both times hiking up in Ruidoso. Unfortunately no NM tag this year. We are definitely learning that West Texas is a very big place and everything is a bit of a drive but that won't deter us from going and doing all the area has to offer. We'll be working on Ft. Bliss so that will be interesting too.

boom

WKR
Ft bliss is exploding. Good luck!

You find a home yet?

Part of me misses elpaso. My mom wants me to visit. Maybe.

OP
Fjelljeger

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
We did. On the West side. Finally getting out of the flatlands of Florida and will be living at 3+ grand of elevation with real mountains right out our back door...well at least within a few miles. Plus Ruidoso has real elevation and great hiking. We will be hunting in Montana this year.

OP
Fjelljeger

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you! The Bitterroot is an amazing place and we were lucky enough to find a slice of heaven tucked away in the Sapphire's. We are going to spend as much time there and in W/SW Montana as work and $ allows. At least residing and working in El Paso puts us in the right time zone. 20 hours of driving will bring us home...and not a bad sight all along the way.