Illinois?

Pelagic

Lil-Rokslider
I'm from Plainfield, IL. Will be heading out west this year for archery hunt in NW Colorado, and to Montana for a rifle hunt in November. Gonna check out Mathiessen and Starved Rock for some hiking. Will also try to mix in some hikes/biking on camping trips to Wisconsin.

Dan L, or anybody else interested in meeting up for some hikes, I will post here whenever I plan to go out somehwere in the area, and maybe we can meet up.

I'm about 40 miles south of Chicago. My life is pretty busy with kid sports and other parenting, so most of my outdoor activities are spur of the moment whenever I can fit it in. Matthiessen is cool for the day, but don't allow overnight as far as I know. They're are a few options for overnight hiking within a few hours drive that I've been to. Let me know what you're interested in and maybe I can give my opinion on some areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan L

FNG
How is everyone's prep going? Just picked up a new stabilizer out of the classifieds here and liking it so far. Hope everyone's conditioning is going better than mine lol, hit a brick wall lately.

Johnson27

Lil-Rokslider
Been hitting Illiniwik bike trails in Hampton, IL at least once a week (4.5 miles with 30# pack). Going to start long range shooting tomorrow at Davenport Valley Archers outdoor site in Long Grove , Ia and then hike.

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
I'm originally from Quincy. I used to bow hunt down in the Barry/Pittsfield area. Now the military has me in Idaho for 9 out of the last 10 years. I do miss some good whitetail bow hunting though.

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in Chicago. Any of you guys know a good rifle range to shoot farther (preferably much farther) than 100 yds?

Murdy

WKR
I’m in Chicago. Any of you guys know a good rifle range to shoot farther (preferably much farther) than 100 yds?

Not aware of any public ranges like that, but there are some clubs. Aurora Sportman's has a 600 yard range (you have to get qualified to use it, as I understand) and Tri-County Gun club has a 200 ( Tri County Gun Club – Information and activities for Tri County Gun Club ).

If you haven't, you might want to check southern Wisconsin. I know the WDNR used to have some free public ranges throughout the state.

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll check out southern WI, thanks!

charliebravo77

Lil-Rokslider

Aurora Sportsmans Club is the best in the immediate area (I'm a member). For ranges open to the public I had previously been going to McMiller Sports Center up in Eagle, WI. It's not "close" but it's got a 300 yard bay and is as nice as you'll find a public range in the immediate area. Public Shooting Range | McMiller Sports Center Eagle, Wisconsin

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
Aurora Sportsmans Club is the best in the immediate area (I'm a member). For ranges open to the public I had previously been going to McMiller Sports Center up in Eagle, WI. It's not "close" but it's got a 300 yard bay and is as nice as you'll find a public range in the immediate area. Public Shooting Range | McMiller Sports Center Eagle, Wisconsin

That place looks great, thank you very much. How you liking Aurora Sportsman’s Club?

charliebravo77

Lil-Rokslider
That place looks great, thank you very much. How you liking Aurora Sportsman’s Club?

It's pretty great to be able to shoot 600 yards and draw from a holster (after certification on both) and shoot steel targets. The initiation fee & first year membership is a pretty big pill to swallow, and I think we're currently at a membership cap but if it opens up, joining mid-year takes some sting out as it's prorated. There are still assessments tacked onto the annual fee and I paid for work hours vs actually doing them since it's a 1.5hr drive each way for me and I'm busy enough as it is so my renewal this year was $500. That said, if you shoot at least once a month it's not a huge cost increase over any other public range in the area with the benefit of mostly being left to yourself, holster draw, steel, 5-600yd ranges, archery range, sporting clays, trap, 5 stand, skeet, etc.

Pelagic

Lil-Rokslider

Another option that might work for you is the Illinois State Rifle Association. They've got 100, 200, and 300 yard rifle ranges, as well as a number of handgun ranges. I've been a member there for a few years now and have been happy with it. It's out in Bonfield, IL.

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider

Checked out McMiller’s today with my old man. Really enjoyed it! Thanks for the tip.

Elkhntr08

WKR
This is why I love living in the country. Can shoot 200 yards in the front or backyard and a 30 minute drive to the farm gets me out to 600.
I live down around Greenup. The south end of the state. If any of y’all get down here, I’ll buy coffee.

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
Springfield area, had 900 yards private until loss of rented piece.
Short range went to 400 year round.
Chasing Elk with a bow September out west.
Doing a little fly fishing in June as well.

R