Member Moving to Montana hunting Montana & Wyoming

So my family and I are moving to Montana in March. We can't wait. We were there some this past summer and winter. I just turned 50 and I'm lucky to be stepping back from work and moving to Missoula, Montana. I can't wait to get back to big game hunting at all levels. I have been on 20+ elk hunts, coming out from Missouri, but I own my own business and word has dominated the past 7-10 years so I have only gotten to go once in those years.

I'm kinda jumping in with both feet this year moving to Montana. I will be applying for tags in Idaho?, Montana and Wyoming. I already have four group hunts planned and my application in for Wyoming. Once we get to Montana I not know to many people so I'm looking to find a few guys to chase elk/deer with. I love solo hunting, but sometimes is is more fun with a partner. I just put in for a Wyoming General Tag and will be doing the same for Montana in March and I may get an Idaho tag as well.

I'm open to several hunting options, but I working hard to get myself in shape and geared up to do bivy style backpack hunts. I used to be in excellent shape, I have done 10 Ironmans, but like I said the past 7 years have been a bit of a slacker, but no more!

I have killed a couple 280+ elk and lots of P & Y whitetail back here in Missouri. I really just enjoy being out there in the mix. I'm looking forward to honing and refreshing my elk hunting skills this year. I'm just glad to be back out there. I love this stuff.

Let me know if you have any interest. Like I said, I have a lot of flexibility this year and I plan on using it. Some of the groups I have coming to hunt are pretty green, but I'm looking forward to it. I will probably start making scouting trips and maybe even bear hunting in May.

Cheers

MTguy0341

Lil-Rokslider
Nice brother, I live just south of Missoula around Lolo. Definitely not a bad town and the opportunities to spend time in the hills nearby is endless. If you get any questions I'll answer them to my best knowledge. (Besides my hunting spots :cool:)

Welcome. I grew up in Missoula. Being the cheap ass I am, I'd wait until my 6 mos was up to get a resident tag. Won't be able to apply for any special permits but plenty of good hunting to be had with a general tag.

OP
Live Montana
Yea I know, but I can't wait six month, are you kidding...<smile>...... I have braced my wife already for the tags. In past years I hunted a ridiculous amount of time. I have been working towards retiring in Montana for a while now. I will be getting NR tags in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming this year. I'm used to going to multiple states, so I have that kind of built into my budget.... As you know the tag sometimes is pretty cheap when you look at everything else you need. I mean come on, I'm coming to Montana. I have to have fishing, hunting, backpacking, floating and camping gear......<smile>

You know I have done a ton of research using the Montana harvest stats, Elk Objective Plans and other sources. I honestly can't say that the special draw units are much better that some of the General units when you look at raw numbers. The breaks has good stats, but I know lots of hunters to, but the archery tag there is not crazy tough to draw for NR. The 380 unit is very hard to draw, but lets LOTS of cow hunters into the area so that makes it tough and the bull harvest stats are not all that awesome compared to other units.

For Example - 380 is always talked about.. Unit 380 has the most hunters by over 1,000... That unit had just over 3,862 hunters and the second highest unit was 2,400, that was just a few unit then several more units around the 2,000 hunter mark. 380 did have the most bulls killed, but not by much. I mean with 3800 hunter I guess they should have the highest. The kill percentage was not that high either. I might be missing something, but there are some General units that look way better than 380.

Yea I know, but I can't wait six month, are you kidding...<smile>...... I have braced my wife already for the tags. In past years I hunted a ridiculous amount of time. I have been working towards retiring in Montana for a while now. I will be getting NR tags in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming this year. I'm used to going to multiple states, so I have that kind of built into my budget.... As you know the tag sometimes is pretty cheap when you look at everything else you need. I mean come on, I'm coming to Montana. I have to have fishing, hunting, backpacking, floating and camping gear......<smile>

You know I have done a ton of research using the Montana harvest stats, Elk Objective Plans and other sources. I honestly can't say that the special draw units are much better that some of the General units when you look at raw numbers. The breaks has good stats, but I know lots of hunters to, but the archery tag there is not crazy tough to draw for NR. The 380 unit is very hard to draw, but lets LOTS of cow hunters into the area so that makes it tough and the bull harvest stats are not all that awesome compared to other units.

For Example - 380 is always talked about.. Unit 380 has the most hunters by over 1,000... That unit had just over 3,862 hunters and the second highest unit was 2,400, that was just a few unit then several more units around the 2,000 hunter mark. 380 did have the most bulls killed, but not by much. I mean with 3800 hunter I guess they should have the highest. The kill percentage was not that high either. I might be missing something, but there are some General units that look way better than 380.
I'm one of the guilty ones that applies for 380 every year. True, you can find areas with better harvest stats. Being that I can be hunting in 380 within 20 minutes of leaving my house, it's pretty convenient. With the limited either-sex tags, it's an area managed for good bulls. Can you get better bulls elsewhere? Probably. One of these years I'll get sick of putting in for it though and use my points on an easier to draw district.

OP
Live Montana
Kinda switching subjects... I read tons and tons about the Breaks being so crowded, but the hunter numbers seem to be inline with some other high demand hunts that kill lots of bulls. At least it is a draw and somewhat restricted. I'm sure the pressure is on during bow season, but I was wondering what the concensus is and if anyone has actually hunting the past two years.

I see lots of old information about the Breaks... I don't know how down I am with the bug issues...

elkguide

WKR
I love finding new areas to hunt as well as having some old stand bys. Haven't hunted the Breaks for many years but there is a lot of land out there. Sometimes you have to just get out there and try and if you see too many others move on to the next spot or go farther back in.

Kinda switching subjects... I read tons and tons about the Breaks being so crowded, but the hunter numbers seem to be inline with some other high demand hunts that kill lots of bulls. At least it is a draw and somewhat restricted. I'm sure the pressure is on during bow season, but I was wondering what the concensus is and if anyone has actually hunting the past two years.

I see lots of old information about the Breaks... I don't know how down I am with the bug issues...

Our family hunted the breaks for cow in 622 November of 2013 then went again in 2014 with archery tags. So I might be able to answer any questions you have

Westfir

FNG
I see this post is 2 years old. I just came across it scrolling through the forums so I hope this reply finds you well. I too am 50 years young. I am a new Hunter too Montana. 2018 will be my first year as a resident. I'm an avid bow Hunter. Love back country adventures. Like to go deep to get away from the crowds. Would like to have a partner for the bow season elk back country adventures. Not sure which unit I will be hunting as of yet, that will be determined by my early season scouting. If your interested in getting together. Drop my a line. I haven't been on rockslide much lately but will be checking back frequently.

I see this post is 2 years old. I just came across it scrolling through the forums so I hope this reply finds you well. I too am 50 years young. I am a new Hunter too Montana. 2018 will be my first year as a resident. I'm an avid bow Hunter. Love back country adventures. Like to go deep to get away from the crowds. Would like to have a partner for the bow season elk back country adventures. Not sure which unit I will be hunting as of yet, that will be determined by my early season scouting. If your interested in getting together. Drop my a line. I haven't been on rockslide much lately but will be checking back frequently.
I am also looking for a backcountry archery partner . Give me a holler

wthunter

FNG
I am also looking for a backcountry archery partner . Give me a holler

If you click on the member name, you can see the last time someone was logged into the site. Unfortunately, both guys haven't been seen in a while. I wish some guys would come back and give updates. I'm just curious how things turn out!