Archery elk in 2017

garrickt

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like I will finally make it happen in 2017. So far planning on going solo but would be more than willing to find 1 or more partners.
Still researching but looking at an Idaho or CO OTC unit. Not looking to kill a monster. Hoping for any legal bull but really want to get some elk meat in the freezer so a cow will make me plenty happy as well.
Probably look to set a base camp and do a few 3-4 day backpack hunts out of it but nothing is set in stone. All I know is I want to hit it hard and give myself the best chance possible.
No mountain hunting experience but I do have backpacking, rock climbing and backcountry skiing experience in the mountains so I am not a newbie to working hard in elevation even though I live in WI.

40watt

FNG
I am targeting CO in 2017 for my first backcountry hunt as well.
Taking the time to collect gear and train all the necessary skills.
Assumed I would be solo, but as its closer I will have a clearer picture of how it will go down.
Very little hiking or hunting experience, but I have a great attitude and I don't quit.
Any animal would satisfy me, and even without that, escaping to the mountains and gaining valuable experience is what I really need.
So I'll try to be available if you like.

Deerjunky

FNG
I'm also looking for someone who may be interested in doing an archery elk hunt for 2017 in CO. I have a good deal of whitetail experience and backpacking experience although I haven't done an elk hunt yet or backpack hunt yet. I'm out for the first legal elk I can get a shot at so standards are low for animal quality, I am more interested in trip quality. If either or both of you are looking for a partner(s)

PA 5-0

WKR
Keep me in the loop here fellas. I'm hitting CO next Fall. If I don't draw 4, it will be an OTC adventure. Hunting partners always make it more fun.

freshta

WKR
I'll be headed that way again too. It will be my third trip. First two solo. I love solo bivy hunting wilderness but next year was thinking of base camp/spike camp hunting as well. Let me know if any of you guys are looking for hunting partners.

Tony

D_Eightch

WKR
Not sure if I deleted my first post or if it got deleted .

I'm in the same boat, had been shooting around ideas with a couple buddies but next year won't work for them. I still have every intention of going. Would rather go with another guy or 2.

We've been looking into Idaho

the big Mao

Lil-Rokslider
I was looking into ID as well, but some of my friends had really archery good success-all tagged out-on cows South of here. They all shoot wheels while I'm on a longbow. Most of them were in tree stands BTW! Since I already have a great bull in the gun room, it's "meat" time. So I'd say don't overlook the cows-the meat's more tender as a general rule! Once you get one home, if you really want to pull out all the stops, Chef Gordon Ramsay has a Christmas Beef Wellington recipe on Youtube that I've done, and found easy, pretty quick, and FANTASTIC!!!

Deerjunky

FNG
For those of you interested in a CO hunt that are the better part of the country away will you all be planning on flying in or driving. I can see the merits of both I was in Glennwood Springs over the summer working for the Forest Service (got stuck moving back). The drive took me two 15 hour days from the east coast. I feel like transport of gear and meat in the event of a successful harvest is better for those driving but flying is more time effective. Thoughts?

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
For those of you interested in a CO hunt that are the better part of the country away will you all be planning on flying in or driving. I can see the merits of both I was in Glennwood Springs over the summer working for the Forest Service (got stuck moving back). The drive took me two 15 hour days from the east coast. I feel like transport of gear and meat in the event of a successful harvest is better for those driving but flying is more time effective. Thoughts?
Coming from Missouri I have about a 15 hr drive and so far have driven but I plan on flying next year. My hunting partner from GA drove one year but flies now. The plan is if I flying and we drop an elk or 2 I'll drive the rental back to Missouri and he'll come get his meat later in the year from me since they visit Missouri once a year anyway.

Dameon

WKR
Coming from Missouri I have about a 15 hr drive and so far have driven but I plan on flying next year. My hunting partner from GA drove one year but flies now. The plan is if I flying and we drop an elk or 2 I'll drive the rental back to Missouri and he'll come get his meat later in the year from me since they visit Missouri once a year anyway.

I'm in Missouri too and will be flying out to Utah this week for a ten day rifle hunt with my dad. We both have OTC tags for any bull and any cow. Flying will maximize my time off from work to hunt, but getting all the meat back home is going to be a problem if I tag out. No matter which way I look at it, transporting that much meat is going to be expensive. So driving does have its advantages. Not to mention that I don't have to be so picky about what gear I bring with me. I plan on going back to Utah for archery season next year and will most likely be driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the big Mao

Lil-Rokslider
for what it's worth-and I need Panhandle residents to chime in here-I've heard that northern Idaho has been especially hard-hit with regard to wolves.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I drive from WI every year, regardless of where I hunt. ID, NM, CO, WY, MT, AZ. It's just more logical for me and meat/gear transport.

This site is different than most, and I'm not pissing on anyone's Cheerio's, but when it comes down to it 90% of the people who reply on these types of posts won't be in the mountains next year. My suggestions (coming from experience and loving the mountains) are to buy ALL of the gear that YOU need. Scout the areas you want to hunt (boots on ground/maps/phone calls) and be ready to hunt solo. If a partner works out, great, but be prepared so your hunt isn't cut short or ruined because of someone else.

gelton

WKR
I drive from WI every year, regardless of where I hunt. ID, NM, CO, WY, MT, AZ. It's just more logical for me and meat/gear transport.

This site is different than most, and I'm not pissing on anyone's Cheerio's, but when it comes down to it 90% of the people who reply on these types of posts won't be in the mountains next year. My suggestions (coming from experience and loving the mountains) are to buy ALL of the gear that YOU need. Scout the areas you want to hunt (boots on ground/maps/phone calls) and be ready to hunt solo. If a partner works out, great, but be prepared so your hunt isn't cut short or ruined because of someone else.

Lots of wisdom here. Especially about the solo part. I shouldn't say that I found a hunting partner on here, more like he found me, but I thought it odd when he suggested driving his own vehicle. Thank god he did because he lasted all of about 4 days of a 14 day hunt. Thankfully it didn't impact me or my plans because we both carried in everything we needed and both of our trucks were at the trailhead. Not the first time and probably wont be the last.

D_Eightch

WKR

I already learned this 2 months into my first elk hunting trip in the infancy stages of planning. 1 guy never fully committed, the 2nd backed out shortly after. So now it's planning solo, sort of hoping I can hook up with 1 other person in Idaho next fall. If you read this and are planning on archery hunting in Idaho next year PM me and maybe we can put our heads together and help each other out!

Last edited:
My limited experience showed that all the Google earth stuff I looked at didn't pay off because I didn't know what I was looking at. Boots on the ground got me a bull on both my trips. I suppose there are those who can dissect an area from GE and learning from them can be benificail. I just do better reading sign and covering ground.

BKhunter

WKR
Looking to do my first archery Elk hunt in 2017 as well. Live in NY and in my early 30's if anyone from the area is looking to team up as well. As of now I am solo.

Glory

Lil-Rokslider
Looking also do to an archery elk hunt out west next year and would be willing to team up with somebody looking for a partner. Live up in SE AK, have all the gear. Fish for a living, and hunt Sitka Blacktails a lot. Never have hunted elk out west before.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
My limited experience showed that all the Google earth stuff I looked at didn't pay off because I didn't know what I was looking at. Boots on the ground got me a bull on both my trips. I suppose there are those who can dissect an area from GE and learning from them can be benificail. I just do better reading sign and covering ground.

Well now that you have two years under your belt go back to Google Earth. Pull out your maps and pull up GE to those areas. Look at them side by side and cross reference what you are looking. Make notes on your maps. It should make things much clearer.