The wife says I can't go alone.

So, many have heard it. The wife is scared if I go into the mountains by myself. I am looking for a partner in Northwest Wyoming. I didn't draw any good tags this year, so I will be hunting general deer and elk. I am new to backpack hunting, but I have to start some time. If anybody has a good tag and just needs help packing stuff out, I can do that too. Anything to get me out away from the roads and learning new stuff.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mfolch

WKR
Renting a satellite phone or personal locator beacon with text messaging capabilities can go a very long way in these kinds of situations. And it's in your interest too. The first time I went on a solo hunt and was out of reach for 10 days I came back and my wife had purchased a new apartment...

dotman

WKR
I've had my wife complain about a lot but she never said a thing about going solo other then make sure your insurance is all updated.

Seriously a Delorme Inreach is worth the price and peace of mind it gives loved ones.

AdamW

WKR
Delorme InReach for sure. Way more trustworthy than some jackleg you met on the internet. :D

tttoadman

WKR
I've had my wife complain about a lot but she never said a thing about going solo other then make sure your insurance is all updated.

Seriously a Delorme Inreach is worth the price and peace of mind it gives loved ones.
I have asked my wife a couple times if she wants me to get the in-reach. She pretty much doesn't care anymore, and helps me pack...and yes the insurance is always paid first.

Just get a spot or inreach. My wife worries a bit, but it is what it is. I've never hunted with anyone else, but just because you go with someone, doesn't mean it's any safer.

jwb300

WKR
Tell her you are going to go and find your balls that she hid in the shed and they will come with you :) :) :) ;)

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
You guys complain about your wives not wanting you to go hunting, but it could be worse....she could want you to go, often and by yourselves...just sayin

OP
W
You guys are hilarious. I may not have been completely clear. The wife is fine with me hunting and fine with me hunting alone in some places, but she is uncomfortable with me hunting in Grizzly areas alone. And since a happy wife is a happy life, I am trying to compromise on this one.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
You guys are hilarious. I may not have been completely clear. The wife is fine with me hunting and fine with me hunting alone in some places, but she is uncomfortable with me hunting in Grizzly areas alone. And since a happy wife is a happy life, I am trying to compromise on this one.

That's an easy compromise.......you go alone, or she goes with you.

dotman

WKR

Then I highly recommend you introduce her to a Delorme Inreach. As other have said having a partner doesn't make it any safer.

tri2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry to hear your situation. You don't need another electronic gadget to carry, you just need to communicate with her? Does she let you drive alone, work alone, swim alone, take a dump alone, etc?
I guess if it was my time to go I would much rather it be by an apex predator than driving to work in my tin can, choking to death or having an aneurysm pinching one off.

So just express those feelings is a serious and possibly comical way, along with a hefty life insurance policy, and you won't be put on the limiting leash when it comes to hunting.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would bet half you guys wouldn't talk like this to your own wives (or maybe, more likely, you are single for a reason). Use a little respect. Doesn't sound to me like the OP's wife is being unreasonable in expressing concerns, and it sounds like Whiskey Maker is making an honest attempt to try to alleviate those concerns by finding a partner. Marriage is about working together, and compromise (kudos to you Whiskey Maker, sounds like you have this figured out already).

I hope you find a partner for your hunt. Have you talked to your wife about whether some sort of emergency communication device would make her feel more comfortable about you going alone if you can't find a partner?

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member

I think this is a completely reasonable request. There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking advantage of the fact we have this type of technology now available to us. Sat phones are still expensive and not extremely reliable, so if you are just able to get ahold of your wife even for a few min. everyday or even every couple of days, it could mean a lot in peace of mind for both of you. We have used ours a fair amount and I appreciate knowing if something comes up in our lives, I will be able to talk with Ryan about it. And it seems like stuff ALWAYS comes up when he's gone. Although not an emergency, our kids, and I like to hear his voice if he has been gone on a long hunt, and tell him about their day (condensed version) of course. Last year, the guys were successful and shot two elk within a half an hour of each other and needed more help. They were able to call me so I could rally the troops and get them more supplies and help. Without the phone, it would have taken twice as long, and much of the meat would probably have spoiled. Some people even get hurt while hunting and need to call for assistance There are so many good reasons to get one if you are able to, and I think you are lucky to have someone that cares enough to want that for you and your family while continuing to support your passion!

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
I would bet half you guys wouldn't talk like this to your own wives (or maybe, more likely, you are single for a reason). Use a little respect. Doesn't sound to me like the OP's wife is being unreasonable in expressing concerns, and it sounds like Whiskey Maker is making an honest attempt to try to alleviate those concerns by finding a partner. Marriage is about working together, and compromise (kudos to you Whiskey Maker, sounds like you have this figured out already).

I hope you find a partner for your hunt. Have you talked to your wife about whether some sort of emergency communication device would make her feel more comfortable about you going alone if you can't find a partner?

. EXACTLY!!!

tri2hunt

Lil-Rokslider

It is really nice to have a perspective from the other side of these issues when they come up on here.
Her request is not unreasonable at all. Communication is the key to compromise in a marriage. I will be married 17 years in October, talking makes it work. If he talks to her about her concerns it will all work out as it should.