Central PA training hike

elkyinzer

WKR
Anyone interested in a training hike in Central PA before elk season starts, possibly this Sunday (I plan everything last minute)? Moved to State College area this spring from Pittsburgh, don't know too many like-minded folks out here yet and getting tired of training with just my idiot (lovable) dog.

I have about an 8-10 mile trail loop planned in the Rothrock, been on most of the trails at one time or another. Never connected them all to do this particular loop, but I am 95% sure it will work. Total elevation gain should end up about 3-4,000 feet so it's a hilly one up and down a few steep ridges. Not trying to kill it pace-wise, just a nice steady endurance builder.

I get out to the same area 3-4 days a week either before or after work as well if that's easier, usually just do a couple miles with one steep 1,000 foot ridge ascent.

Let me know or shoot me a PM, thought maybe we could get a few guys together and help push each other for the upcoming season.

Not in this Humidity! If you ever bored in that area I know a ton of stuff you can do in the Renovo, Blackforest, and Ralston area.

Stwrt9

WKR
Love the idea, just not great timing! Plus this humidity is god awful lately.

OP
elkyinzer

elkyinzer

WKR
Yeah, can't recall a spell of humidity this bad. If you look at the radar and frontal maps it's just a big suck funneling the moist air up from the Gulf. That jet pattern will break and fall will be here in no time. It sucks for sure, but I leave in less than a month and I still haven't done a hike in over 5 miles. I try to get at least one the month before I leave, I guess to build the mental confidence and make sure I have the same hotspots as usual on my feet. Most of the time for routine training hikes I hit the trailhead about 6AM before it gets too bad, but then I have to get to work so I just climb the ridge then loop back down.

OP
elkyinzer

elkyinzer

WKR
Not in this Humidity! If you ever bored in that area I know a ton of stuff you can do in the Renovo, Blackforest, and Ralston area.

Yeah, I love it up there, I do more of my hunting up North than close to home. Great country. You have a camp or live up there?

We hike and backpack a lot when the heat and bugs aren't too bad, (winter and spring) and mountain bike during the hotter times, so we get around. We spent every weekend since late March in a tent on the State forest. We bear hunt the Sproul south of Renovo and rifle hunt the Loyalsock near Ralston and we have a mobile camp (Truck bed camper and wall tent) we use for those cold seasons. Live in Lycoming county.

Stwrt9

WKR
would be nice to get something together maybe next year like the Exo Crew did for their annual Death Hike for PA Roksliders!

OP
elkyinzer

elkyinzer

WKR
would be nice to get something together maybe next year like the Exo Crew did for their annual Death Hike for PA Roksliders!

Yeah, I think that would be great, guess we could just pick a date and start planning. Although it's outside of the typical "training" window, my favorite time to hike is about late March...snow is usually gone by then, nothing else to do really, no bugs, good temps, can still do some late season predator hunting.

Stwrt9

WKR
date's could be anytime. it would be nice to do within a month before we all head for the hills as one last test but i'm sure it could be flexible and based around when the weather is best.

I pm'd you but figure you might see this first. What time are you leaving and whats your intended route. I'm from Clearfield by the way.

PMcGee

WKR
I can't do this weekend but I'd be in for next year if you plan something. Maybe we could find a central area for guys who want to do it.

Quehanna trail (not a ton of elevation change), Chuck Keiper trail (lots of elevation change), Mid State trail (a good compromise in elevation change). All have great fly fishing opportunities depending on wild browns or natives and all are roughly in the center or just left of center of the state. You could also look towards the PA Grand Canyon area up north and extend to those trails if you wanted.