Where to start....confused new guy

So, I am new to hunting, and am trying to set goals for returning to my native land (the blessed United States of America... Stuck in Sweden for the time being) for my first USA hunt. Species and weapon aside, just considering units in a given state, how the hell does one which unit to focus on? Say for example, if I wanted to hunt mule deer in eastern Oregon (family in Oregon makes logistics easier)some day, these are controlled hunts from what I understand...If I were to apply each year to build up points while pursuing OTC tags, how does someone with no experience know which friggin' unit to be applying for? Any help/info? And no, this isn't specifically about Oregon mule deer, but insert state and species, whichever... I just want a general idea, how to decide a given unit in a state for whatever species and weapon one decides on....thanks!

Skickat från min E5823 via Tapatalk

There are subscription services that analyze draw odds, trophy quality, etc. I haven't used them, so I can't tell you much other than that. I'm sure others on here will chime in, though.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have zero insight on where to hunt in the lower 48 states. If I were considering it though, I would join gohunt.com. They're a Rokslide sponsor also.

JeremiahH

WKR
If I were new to hunting I would come home and put efforts in the over the counter areas and gain that experience and knowledge and simultaneously learn other regional draw areas. Oregon has some great OTC opportunities, Columbia blacktail for one. Then learn the local and regional draw units and expand from there

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I second looking for OTC the counter hunts either in your home state or across the border to Idaho. I live in Washington and simply drive to Idaho and Montana hunting OTC units. Took awhile to learn mt but has added to the fun👍 And anticipation of scouting and learning each year

Murdy

WKR
I kinda of went what you are going through about 5 years ago -- and to a degree, I still am going though it. So far, I've only made one trip out west, but figuring out the where and how is certainly a challenge. I initially subscribed to Eastman's, and later Hunting Fool for a year, and there are alternatives to both, but they gave me a little context, and some unit specific info, so I wasn't operating totally blind. Make yourself a regular at a forum like this one, and people will help you out--more so when you have specific questions. I decided to focus on Wyoming and Colorado due to (1) logistics, they're just closer to me (sounds like Oregon would offer you some logistical advantages) and (2) drawing opportunities seemed reasonable. Figure out how soon you want to be hunting, how long you have to build points, then look at what states fit into your plans. Once your narrowed down to a state (or a few), read all you can, research old forum threads, keep in mind your point situation, but also things like accessibility, and just put the time in researching.

OP
S
Thanks guys for the suggestions! Will start making lists and organize my ideas/dreams into goals so then can start researching. Will return with more specific questions at a later date!

OP
S
I second looking for OTC the counter hunts either in your home state or across the border to Idaho. I live in Washington and simply drive to Idaho and Montana hunting OTC units. Took awhile to learn mt but has added to the fun👍 And anticipation of scouting and learning each year
How did you personally decide which OTC unit(s) to pursue? Logistics / statistics / recommendation, etc? I am just curious what works for different people.

Pilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
Look up the unit-specific statistics associated with game species of choice in whichever state you want to hunt. Lurking / searching sites like this is also a great place to start.

OP
S
So, here's a stupid question...are you only allowed 1 crack per year per species in a given state? For example, if one hunted bow season for elk and was successful, could the guy hunt elk again for rifle? Does that change if he were unsuccessful during bow season?

the answer to that question is different from state to state. in Oregon you get 1 tag with a specific weapon and thats it. Meaning if you buy an archery elk tag than thats all its good for, you can't go get a rifle elk tag for the same year. Idaho is a little different and easier about this depending on which unit you're hunting

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
It varies by state but most otc tags can be hunted every year. Most make you pick a season to hunt some states allow you to hunt all the seasons but only alowed to kill one. Usually sheep moose mountain goats bison are considered once in life time tags. Some limited entry draw tags have a waiting period to apply again after your drawn. So simple answer depends on the state

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I miss read your question. Wyoming for example you can hunt archery and rifle seasons but only kill one elk. Colorado makes you choose your hunting season archery or rifle and allows hunting only in that season.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I believe in Montana you can hunt elk during archery season and if unsuccessful, hunt them again during rifle season.

Also, when it comes to picking units, I look at the previous years harvest stats, the amount of public land, even migration patterns. All of this info is available on the Fish and Game website for each state. Some states have easier to understand info, and some is pretty darn complicated. This is where gohunt.com comes in handy. Another source is joining sites like longrangehunting.com and RMEF.

I'm new to big game hunting as well. I'll hopefully be chasing elk/mule deer in Montana in 2017. I'm still trying to pick a unit.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

slick

WKR
I believe in Montana you can hunt elk during archery season and if unsuccessful, hunt them again during rifle season.

Also, when it comes to picking units, I look at the previous years harvest stats, the amount of public land, even migration patterns. All of this info is available on the Fish and Game website for each state. Some states have easier to understand info, and some is pretty darn complicated. This is where gohunt.com comes in handy. Another source is joining sites like longrangehunting.com and RMEF.

I'm new to big game hunting as well. I'll hopefully be chasing elk/mule deer in Montana in 2017. I'm still trying to pick a unit.

Correct on the archery transfer to rifle. Can hunt the majority of western MT with a general tag. Eastern MT usually have to draw some sort of permit for a bull & some places cows too. Either of you are welcome to PM me.

Correct on the archery transfer to rifle. Can hunt the majority of western MT with a general tag. Eastern MT usually have to draw some sort of permit for a bull & some places cows too. Either of you are welcome to PM me.
Pm sent...Thanks for the offer of help.

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
When I landed in Colorado I remember feeling like you do. There is definitely a bit of a learning curve, but it's very learnable and it takes a little bit of time. I ordered the state's big game brochure that the Dept. of Wildlife puts out and read if front to back. I made a few friends and they took me scouting to see if I would be interested in certain units and that's how I decided where I was going to put in for my first draw. I ended up not drawing, which for a newbie from Texas is frustrating as hell. I then got an OTC tag and had a successful hunt. I was then invited on a group hunt and that has been happening for a couple of years now. It's a lot different than Texas where you just buy your license at Walmart and find a place to hunt, but it's worth it if you give the effort.

charvey9

WKR
I can somewhat relate. Although I've been hunting as long as I can remember, I grew up in a state where the regulations were very easy, with only one primary big game species to hunt and no unit boundaries to be concerned about (at least anywhere near where I hunted).

Then in 2005 I moved to Oregon, where the game animals, seasons, units, and different regulations where very intimidating. It was one of the primary reasons why I did not hunt for the first 6 years I lived in Oregon. It seemed like you needed a college education just to understand the rules and figure what, where, and when to hunt.

Like others have suggested, when I finally made up my mind to go hunting again, I took the path of least resistance. My first big game hunt was OTC deer tag in Western, OR. From there I moved on to bowhunting, which has a lengthy general season that covers most of the state. A few years later putting boots on the ground and sharing info with other hunters I am pretty comfortable with both interpreting the regulations and looking for places to hunt in just about any state. They are all different, and can all be confusing, but with a little time and some homework you can figure things out.

There are some great resources on draw odds and harvest statistics out there. Some are paid services, while others are free. Although I am sure there are many, here a few examples I have come across.

Oregon Draw Odds
oregontags

Idaho harvest statistics (this is the most complete tool I've found for any state).
Harvest Finder | Idaho Fish and Game

The last thing I would recommend checking out is Elk101.com and the UEH course. There is a module in there all about finding places to hunt, using google earth to scout, etc.

541hunter

WKR
If you have questions on Oregon regs just pm me and I will try my best to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cuffs27

FNG
If you lived in Orrgon or moved to Oregon after service check with ODFW I heard they have tags set aside for returning military. Not positive but something to look into. As far as Oregon goes build pints then worry about the unit when you get here. I've killed good bucks on two point hunts and OTC.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrAP