New guy from Nor Cal.

Pro953

WKR
Hi all,

I have been lurking for a few months and figured I better step up.

New guy here from Napa, CA. I have been hunting on and off for the last six years but with two kids born during that time it's has been a bit hit and miss.

I backpacked a bit growing up but did not grow up in a family of hunters so it has taken a bit longer to learn the ropes. I did my first two multi day backpack hunts in the B Zone last year after only day hunts in the A zone in the past. I really enjoyed it and now the planning starts for next year.

Appreciate all the knowledge and info everyone shares here. I am also interested in connecting with other hunters in Nor Cal. Being married working full time with two young kids hunting trips are not as often as I like but it would be great to connect with some folks in the area who might be interested in planning some trips.

Also interested in doing a DIY Antelope trip to WY this year or next and splitting gas with a couple guys would be great too.

Look forward to doing my part to contribute and hope to connect with some other hunter in the area.

Best,
Phil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
P

Pro953

WKR
Thanks Jordan. Still work for AB? I used to do a lot of work for the firm that hauled in the glass and cans to the California breweries.

Thanks Jordan. Still work for AB? I used to do a lot of work for the firm that hauled in the glass and cans to the California breweries.

I do! Family runs multiple wholesalers throughout Idaho and Western Montana, is a fun industry to work in

OP
P

Pro953

WKR
Thanks ElkGuide. I will certainly do my best, but I am green as green can be compared to everyone here. That said. If anyone needs helps picking a wine feel free to reach out.

Thanks ElkGuide. I will certainly do my best, but I am green as green can be compared to everyone here. That said. If anyone needs helps picking a wine feel free to reach out.

You archery hunt or rifle ?

OP
P

Pro953

WKR
Both. I have a older Hoyt Vector Turbo that I have shot for the last few years, though all I have taken with it are rabbits and some missed shots on Turkeys.

Deer season I have focused
more on rifle I shoot a Tikka T3 in .270 that I am pretty comfortable with now.

I did do a bit of stand hunting last season and I have a lot of cameras hung in the area. If I can find a good spot I might try and hang my stand for the early bow season in A zone and sweat it out in the heat.

I did a lot more fishing the last few years when the my daughter was still an infant so I could stay close to home. This was the first year I was comfortable taking off and leaving my wife with the kids without feeling guilty and the time finally paid off.

Finally landed my first A Zone public land blacktail. Tried to do a euro on it for fun, not perfect by any stretch, but a start. I have a nice four pointer in the area on camera that I hope to chase next year.

8e24fff488d88745d18bb15607605b3b.jpg

OP
P

Pro953

WKR
I used to sell wine to his brother Michael who runs the grocery side of the business and I know a couple of the cousins from around town, other than that just being a customer on occasion when I am looking for some special order stuff.

I was a cook/chef before I went into the wine business so I really enjoy processing everything myself, though I hear they do a good job with ducks.

You hunt with them?

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used to sell wine to his brother Michael who runs the grocery side of the business and I know a couple of the cousins from around town, other than that just being a customer on occasion when I am looking for some special order stuff.

I was a cook/chef before I went into the wine business so I really enjoy processing everything myself, though I hear they do a good job with ducks.

You hunt with them?

Once I did. I want to get down there chasing hogs again.

turnerjwr

FNG
Greetings Fellow NorCal Newb,

Sound like we're running parallel lives, since I'm up here trying to get back in the woods, but working full-time and being a full-time student with a wife and two small girls, I've been hard-pressed to find the time.

I'm a greenhorn with big game hunts, but I have a lot of local friends, IRL, with a lot of knowledge, so I may be a decent liaison for info. In any case we can commiserate about how little we know together. That should be fun! LOL

I'm also looking to get into multi-day hunts in B zone, so keep me updated on what you have going on, two heads being better than one and all.

Good meeting ya!

Loco4dux

WKR
Welcome to the best hunting forum on the internet!

Nice A zone buck by the way.

-Spencer from central California