2017 Washington Rondy

OP
7mag.

7mag.

WKR
So for now, I'm planning on either Pete Lake or Waptus Lake, the first weekend in June. Unless somebody comes up with a better plan.

OP
7mag.

7mag.

WKR
3 weeks from today. My son and I, and maybe a buddy and his son are heading in. At this point probably Waptus Lake. Anyone else going?

JayPee

FNG
3 weeks from today. My son and I, and maybe a buddy and his son are heading in. At this point probably Waptus Lake. Anyone else going?

I'm in for sure. Going to take Thursday/Friday off that week, going to try and head in Friday early morning I think

I'm trying to see if this will work with my schedule.
For clarification, is this the hike/destination you're looking at? Waptus River — Washington Trails Association

Yep that's the trail, it's a decent poke but easy walking. Let's just hope the snow melts off quick. Once you get to the lake, everything else goes up up up

OP
7mag.

7mag.

WKR
I was looking at the map and reading last year's trail reports, and I think Waptus might be a little much this early. It's 9.4 miles in the timber, and I remember last year dealing with blowdown and swollen creeks just getting to Pete Lake. That's a long way for a weekend trip on trails that haven't been cleared yet. What do you guys think?

JayPee

FNG
I was looking at the map and reading last year's trail reports, and I think Waptus might be a little much this early. It's 9.4 miles in the timber, and I remember last year dealing with blowdown and swollen creeks just getting to Pete Lake. That's a long way for a weekend trip on trails that haven't been cleared yet. What do you guys think?

I don't know how long we want to wait to lock down a location, but I might be able to head out memorial weekend and check out the trails. I agree that's a long walk if conditions aren't good

the big Mao

Lil-Rokslider
Too much for me at this time-06 March,I had my left knee replaced. I can walk 9 holes for golf, but it lets me know it's being pushed.

OP
7mag.

7mag.

WKR
Well, after talking to JayPee, we've decided to change our destination to Pete Lake. It's 4.5 miles, and and only gains a few hundred feet overall. A few of us will be heading in on Friday, so everyone is welcome anytime. We will camp right where the trail gets to the lake.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I may try and swing this! I'll keep you posted if I am coming

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

the big Mao

Lil-Rokslider
Well, after talking to JayPee, we've decided to change our destination to Pete Lake. It's 4.5 miles, and and only gains a few hundred feet overall. A few of us will be heading in on Friday, so everyone is welcome anytime. We will camp right where the trail gets to the lake.

Which Pete Lake? There's one in Kittitas county, and one in Snohomish! Four and a half is still pushing it for me though.

colersu22

WKR
Im guessing they are talking about the one in Kittitas county past lake Cle elum big Mao. I was up that way this past weekend but didn't think to swing by the trail to check conditions.

JayPee

FNG
I'm going to head up to see what kind of condition the road and trail is in tomorrow. Last report had the snow line only 1 mile from salmon la sac road. I think it's almost 6 miles to the trailhead. I have a pack loaded and might stay the night, or just do an out and back. The weather over the next week should really do some damage to any remaining snow

JayPee

FNG
Ok so we might be in trouble. I had to park about 1.5 miles from the trailhead. There is up to 24" of snow in places still on the road starting at 3.5mi from salmon la sac. I made it to Tired Creek before I gave up. My dog was having no more of the snow(that's my story and I'm sticking to it)

On the trail there is an average of about 3' of snow with some drifts approaching 7'. The snow bridges over the water are getting precarious so crossing a couple of the runoffs was fun. Towards the middle of the day I was postholing pretty bad and hit stomach deep a couple times. The good news is it's melting fast and should be in much better shape in 2 weeks. There will still be quite a bit of snow left I would imagine.

Also there were only 2 sets of tracks in before me but on the way out several people were headed in. That should help bust up the snow if they stay on the trail and I bet next weekend it will be busy

OP
7mag.

7mag.

WKR
We can always camp at Cooper if we can't get to Pete. That's what I'm planning on doing. Thanks for heading over there Joe.