Elk assistance offer Fall 2017

Tex68w

WKR
I joined this sight recently after lurking for a long while. Myself and a few friends are planning our first Elk hunt for the fall of 2018 so I hope to learn as much as I can here about the entire process before we depart. That said, I seem to be the most interested party and the one taking the lead here on putting it all together. I've learned from other ventures/interests/hobbies that you can only learn so much from research and forums, to truly get your feet wet you must immerse yourself in that activity and sink or swim.

A little bit about myself, Im in my early 30's, in good shape, recently medically retired from the Army where I was a combat medic. I grew up in south Texas hunting everything Texas has to offer but my experience with western big game is zero. That said, my abilities backpacking with a heavy load out is second nature thanks to Uncle Sugar. I can be self reliant and live out of a pack handling my own affairs without needing to be looked after or guided. I can get myself to the hunt location and I will have all gear necessary to be self reliant and of assistance in glassing, harvesting, haul out.

All of that said I'd like to toss out the idea/ offer of lending myself to another hunter/group. I think I can be of assistance both physically and morally to another hunting. I'd be there simply to help with load out, glassing, hauling meat, camaraderie, moral support, etc. I have no intention of hunting, I just want to help out and experience the entire process first hand so that I have a better understanding of what all is involved in a hunt of this magnitude. I think it would be a good learning experience for myself and an extra body to help out for the hunting party.

If anyone is interested in exploring this offer please send me a PM and we can discuss further the details/opportunity.

RoJo

WKR
That sounds like a good plan for getting some experience under your belt. Don't be discouraged if you don't get many responses for a while, I think many people don't know yet if they have an elk tag. Arizona, for example, will not publish draw results until mid-April-ish.

elkguide

WKR
Great offer. I could have used you last fall up in Idaho. Don't know if I will draw again this year but good luck. Great way to learn.

I live in SW Colorado, the drive wouldn't be too bad and you can buy an otc tag here and hunt with me if you'd like. I'll be out hunting from late August to January.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I live in SW Colorado, the drive wouldn't be too bad and you can buy an otc tag here and hunt with me if you'd like. I'll be out hunting from late August to January.

Justin is second to none Id consider his offer. Good peeps and a tough dude that works out there in the forest daily. You'd learn a lot from him especially about slinging arrows with a stick bow. Your on the right track and this is how many of us learn what it takes is by following others who do it.

I know I have!! my hunting buddy has over 25 years chasing Elk out there. He has taught me a lot and is an awesome dude. /Cheers Mike :D

Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
Justin is top notch. Taking his offer would be a great start,,, and you might kill an elk.

I appreciate the support and the kind words. Seriously though, you want to come hunt, let me know. I need another excuse to go to the woods!

TheCougar

WKR
Justin, I'll hunt with you if he won't! I'd be all over that like a hobo on a ham sandwich! Hell, I'll be driving from Fort Worth and I can pick him up at the Circle K in Abilene...

It sounds more glorious than it really is. My hunting will be done after work most nights and Friday-Sunday, until November when my season is over. However, being ten minutes from NF access and having the ability to scout all summer helps.

OP
T

Tex68w

WKR

Thanks for the offer, I sent you a PM in regards to this.

hi2u

FNG
DAMMIT wish I would've saw this earlier.. Too late to buy a OTC though isn't it for Colorado?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
DAMMIT wish I would've saw this earlier.. Too late to buy a OTC though isn't it for Colorado?

You can buy an OTC tag up to the last minute of the archery season.

Hey Tex......I have a northern NM tag for the second half of September, and not sure what I'm doing in CO yet. Won't have that nailed down until mid August probably, but we may be able to work something out. That is if you're interested in aggressive elk hunting.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can buy an OTC tag up to the last minute of the archery season.

Hey Tex......I have a northern NM tag for the second half of September, and not sure what I'm doing in CO yet. Won't have that nailed down until mid August probably, but we may be able to work something out. That is if you're interested in aggressive elk hunting.
Shoot I wish you have invited me to take you up on this. I need a good lesson in go big or go home. Besides you know my back pack can carry out any bull you shoot

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Shoot I wish you have invited me to take you up on this. I need a good lesson in go big or go home. Besides you know my back pack can carry out any bull you shoot

You're always invited, I already owe you for last year's packout. But if you help me pack out another one, I'll owe you twice and I'm getting too old to string those out.;) LOL.