2017 NE Oregon Rondy

whiskeysierra762

Lil-Rokslider
I saw a thread on the Kifaru forum about a NE Oregon rendezvous. I haven't joined the Kifaru forum yet but was wondering if any of the members here were planning on attending?

jhayes6405

Lil-Rokslider
I saw a thread on the Kifaru forum about a NE Oregon rendezvous. I haven't joined the Kifaru forum yet but was wondering if any of the members here were planning on attending?

Hey man, I'm the one setting the rondy up. March 24-26 on Mt Emily. I've got one spot picked out but I'm looking for another that is a bit further back tomorrow. I'd like nothing more than to a meet up that is several miles in, but I'm not sure of some of the folks abilities so expect a max of 2 miles. Expect BYOB and your own food. For shelter, there will be several tipis with stoves already so you could ski/snowshoe right into camp.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:
OP
W

whiskeysierra762

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Pendleton. Fresh snow again this week. I'm geared for anything. Sawtooth with stove, pulk, and snowshoes.
Please keep us informed over here when you guys make a final decision.

DRUSS

WKR
I will keep watching this too. Seen it on kifaru but not a member so didn't reply. Sounds like could be a fun trip

jhayes6405

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds good gents.

whiskey, are you familiar with a "Walk In" pond up there? I'm heading up in a few hours to try and find it. Supposed to be about three miles from the snow park trailhead.

jhayes6405

Lil-Rokslider
I wasn't able to ski that far back today. The whole family tagged along so that always throws a screaming loud hot mess of a wrench in the mix.

jhayes6405

Lil-Rokslider
Any update? I see the page on the Kifaru forum is gone.

Hey, not sure why the thread would be gone, but it seems their site is down now anyway.

I skied back 3 miles a week and a half ago and there was plenty of snow and no evidence anyone had been off the trail at all. There are areas in the timber that are open and could support more folks then would likely show up. My next post will contain a map screenshot of how I've gotten back in there.

For now plan on parking at the Mt. Emily summit sno-park. I'm not crazy about having to have a permit to park somewhere on public land, but I don't know of anywhere else in the Blues at this point that can support several rigs with the amount of snow we've gotten this year. If I'm wrong, let me know, anywhere up there is good honestly and we can walk anywhere.
So, with that said, expect to get a pass IN TOWN before you head up the mountain. Regardless which way you're coming, both Pendleton and La Grande have places that provide the pass. Its cheap. Last time I was there a FS leo pulled up and started checking passes. I was able to talk my way out of a ticket though. So it is enforced. I guess ideally it provides an area to leave our rigs where folks wouldn't want to chance breaking your window with the fuzz being regulars.
Here is the info on passes:
Oregon DMV Sno-Park Parking Permits

I'm passing through that way on Sunday and will stop in for a look to see whats snow conditions are currently. Ive got kids in school so I won't get up there till friday afternoon and will stay through sunday late morning.
I've got an 8 man tipi some folks could crash in if you don't have shelter sorted. Another fella coming should have something similar as well, I'll confirm.
Expect BYOB and food. I'll bring along some extra elk steaks though.
Its public land obviously, but since most folks coming up there will be new to each other and several people will likely be armed in some way, some consideration of weapon status while drinking needs to be made. Any ideas?

Ive never set anything up like this before and I'm not used to planning for others, so anything we haven't addressed or whatever, get it out there.

jhayes6405

Lil-Rokslider
Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 4.41.43 PM.jpg
This is where I'm thinking.
Trailhead is UTM,
11T 395842 5032984

And general area that's away from folks possibly skiing around;
11T 398786 5035341

EDIT TO ADD: I can't get a good screenshot of the map to load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_2232.JPG
    IMG_2232.JPG
    4 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
OP
W

whiskeysierra762

Lil-Rokslider
i think its a good spot. Im still trying to get that Friday off so I could come up that afternoon. If I cant I might have to come up Saturday morning and stay for one night.

jhayes6405

Lil-Rokslider
i think its a good spot. Im still trying to get that Friday off so I could come up that afternoon. If I cant I might have to come up Saturday morning and stay for one night.

Sounds good man. Looking forward to it.

jhayes6405

Lil-Rokslider
Well final exams have me slammed so I couldn't get out to check what the snow is like right now.

I personally am going to leave the skis at home and bring snowshoes. The warm temps down low and what I can tell from the road cameras on the interstate up high have me thinking it may be melting up there too.

Looking forward to any and all that want to attend.

DRP

Lil-Rokslider
I assume the pond is still frozen over but ODFW stocks that pond every year with trout. Maybe think about bringing a fishing pole.

jhayes6405

Lil-Rokslider
I assume the pond is still frozen over but ODFW stocks that pond every year with trout. Maybe think about bringing a fishing pole.

It was frozen last time I was there, but I've got no idea what to expect when I get up there this weekend. Good idea, I may pack my little breakdown pole.