Solar eclipse Aug 21, 2017

I've never seen one and for some reason it is important to me not to miss this one as it will probably be my last chance. I'll take a sick day and watch it in a Corvallis Walmart if I have too but would rather make a backcountry trip out of it. The below link shows the zone of totality. Anybody who lives near the path in Or or Id knows of a good place to set up for the day please share. It must be in the zone of totality though as close doesn't count here. I know all the state parks are full so probably going to have to be BLM or FS.

Just seems like an excellent excuse for a Rondy and chance to relax for a few days just before another hunting season is upon us.

If you are in the zone of totality but further east feel free to piggyback on this thread. It'd be kinda cool to have multiple rondy's set up that day.

Thanks in advance as the Corvallis Walmart doesn't sound all that fun :).

Great American Eclipse | Total solar eclipse of Aug 21, 2017

Grumman

WKR
Thanks for sharing I wasn't aware of this. I am too far north in KY but my grandparents place in TN looks to be in the perfect spot. Good excuse to go visit them. I've never seen an eclipse and have always wanted to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've already made plans to be at a friends place in Kinnear WY, but if that falls through I'll be all over this. Great idea Broodbuster. I'll be following this thread.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been trying to reserve a camp spot it's Fing crazy. I've tried Idaho and Wyoming. We will just be crashing a wide spot in the national forest it seems now.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
BroodBuster
One month out and I still don't have any set spot. I figure I'll just head somewhere on Hwy 26 between Madras and John Day. I won't be leaving the Seattle area until late Sunday night but I have several days off afterwards so may spend a few days in Or hiking and or fishing.

If anyone knows of a good spot in this area or where I should spend the balance of the week please let me know. My pups old enough that she has turned in her pack so something with the boat would be preferred.