New Mexico

Mines the one at the very top. I spent some time over there with those pups a couple of times when Dwain had them. I haven't met Ryan(talked to him online some), but I know the rest of those guys. They're all really good dudes.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

WhiteOak

Lil-Rokslider
I was driving around today trying to scout state land and access points and have a few questions as the NM websites make it about as clear as mud. Recreational Access this was the best information I could find about state trust land.

So using onx maps I am able to see the state land I rode the perimeter of some today and found 0 signs about state land or hunting use ect. The only way I was able to determine it was state land was onx maps. I was able to find 3 makeshift gates and there was no cattle on the property. Does this mean the state land is not leased at the moment and you are free to hunt? Also if you were to come up to state land and there is cattle on it does that mean it is leased by a rancher and you must then get permission to hunt. Website only says some state land are withdrawn from hunting and it's up to you to find out.

What is y'alls approach to making sure the state land is huntable, are the game wardens knowlegable about all the state parcels should i just ask a warden about every piece of state land I am interested in? There is a ton of scattered state parcels out here.

Any and all help is appreciated and thank you in advance

Trial153

WKR
We had tons of access issues this past January in the NM unit we hunted. Gates to state land welded shut, a county road that was blocked off....i won’t go into the issue with a nasty ranch owners son. In any event we followed up with Fish and game, pictures and locations and had confirmation that the areas where indeed public and we could access and hunt them. OnX was very accurate in the unit in regards to state land bounties-and access

tlowell02

Lil-Rokslider
Similar to teamvit, I live in Texas, Lubbock specifically, but probably 90% of my hunting is done in New Mexico. Mainly quail and deer, occasionally dove and if I get lucky in the draw, elk. Plus my significant other lives in Clayton so I am practically a resident. In fact, I'm heading up that way today for her rifle deer hunt.

Last edited:

tlowell02

Lil-Rokslider
We had tons of access issues this past January in the NM unit we hunted. Gates to state land welded shut, a county road that was blocked off....i won’t go into the issue with a nasty ranch owners son. In any event we followed up with Fish and game, pictures and locations and had confirmation that the areas where indeed public and we could access and hunt them. OnX was very accurate in the unit in regards to state land bounties-and access
What part of the state? I was deer hunting in 30 a few years ago and had located some nice bucks on BLM before the local rancher showed up and basically told me I was trespassing on his land and BLM had not owned it for years. Even though every map I have come across shows it as BLM. I should have contested it by calling the BLM office but instead I packed up and went home.

Trial153

WKR
What part of the state? I was deer hunting in 30 a few years ago and had located some nice bucks on BLM before the local rancher showed up and basically told me I was trespassing on his land and BLM had not owned it for years. Even though every map I have come across shows it as BLM. I should have contested it by calling the BLM office but instead I packed up and went home.
southwest ish. cattle trailer sideways blocking access to state land about a mile a head. then a welded gates and wire across in the road in few locations. all adjacent to one large track of private land. we followed up with a commisner who directed it to fish and game and they were very good about keeping us informed with their resolution. however it didn't help us for the hunt during the time we where there. I accessed the land via climbing the gate and packing in, killed a nice buck and then had the adjacent ranch caretakers son approach me on the pack out. let's just say he got way more then he anticipated out of the encounter.

I was driving around today trying to scout state land and access points and have a few questions as the NM websites make it about as clear as mud. Recreational Access this was the best information I could find about state trust land.

So using onx maps I am able to see the state land I rode the perimeter of some today and found 0 signs about state land or hunting use ect. The only way I was able to determine it was state land was onx maps. I was able to find 3 makeshift gates and there was no cattle on the property. Does this mean the state land is not leased at the moment and you are free to hunt? Also if you were to come up to state land and there is cattle on it does that mean it is leased by a rancher and you must then get permission to hunt. Website only says some state land are withdrawn from hunting and it's up to you to find out.

What is y'alls approach to making sure the state land is huntable, are the game wardens knowlegable about all the state parcels should i just ask a warden about every piece of state land I am interested in? There is a ton of scattered state parcels out here.

Any and all help is appreciated and thank you in advance

If OnX is showing it as state land, you're free to hunt it whether it has cattle on it or not. Read the proclamation though...you can only scout a couple of days ahead of your hunt, but you can't camp on state ground. No coyote hunting on state land. Once furbearer season rolls in, you can go out and hunt bobcats. If a coyote happens by at that time(and you have your furbearer's license), you can kill said coyote.

WhiteOak

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks all, I am aware of the scouting rules for big game. The proclamation says hunting of big game and upland game in appropraite seasons, no mention of waterfowl. I did some map scouting and found a couple playas on state land that may hold some water. Does anyone have insight on hunting migratory birds on state land.
I absolutely would leave any gate as I found it. I just drove the perimeters and never entered the land, just had some time to kill and curiosity to scratch. The only sign Ive came across was according to onx right in the middle of the perimeter fence that said no hunting fishing trapping area is monitored and patrolled, and of course the name and contact info was blank. I suspect it was someone giving it a shot to see if they can keeps others out but in that instance I would go through appropriate channels to confirm before entering.

Again thank you all for the input, always good to hear real world experience to put together with the way it is written.

The proclamation says hunting of big game and upland game in appropraite seasons, no mention of waterfowl. I did some map scouting and found a couple playas on state land that may hold some water. Does anyone have insight on hunting migratory birds on state land.

I've never thought about that angle, to be honest with you. I've always assumed it wouldn't be an issue since you can hunt everything else on it. Might want to call a district GW and get the actual answer.

tlowell02

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks all, I am aware of the scouting rules for big game. The proclamation says hunting of big game and upland game in appropraite seasons, no mention of waterfowl. I did some map scouting and found a couple playas on state land that may hold some water. Does anyone have insight on hunting migratory birds on state land.
I absolutely would leave any gate as I found it. I just drove the perimeters and never entered the land, just had some time to kill and curiosity to scratch. The only sign Ive came across was according to onx right in the middle of the perimeter fence that said no hunting fishing trapping area is monitored and patrolled, and of course the name and contact info was blank. I suspect it was someone giving it a shot to see if they can keeps others out but in that instance I would go through appropriate channels to confirm before entering.

Again thank you all for the input, always good to hear real world experience to put together with the way it is written.
I think many of those signs remain from back before Game and Fish leased State Trust land.

Also, I suspect that are still quite a few grazing leasees that disapprove of losing the hunting rights to the public.

I ran into one rancher last year near Tucumcari that drove his truck across the section of sage pasture to basically tell me to stay off his private land and if he had his way, off the state land too.

Some people are just a-holes and want everything to themselves.

swampokie

WKR
Eastern nm is the worst place I've been with ranchers trying to run lawful hunters off state trust land. They are really afraid u mite kill an animal that they could sell to the highest bidder or harvest themselves.

WhiteOak

Lil-Rokslider
Took the family to white sands national monument this weekend. The whole drive from portales to WS was a damn treat. Beautiful beautiful country but I'm sure you guys already know that. It was my first time leaving Roosevelt county for the most part and although I was very excited about moving to NM to begin with, that trip blew me away. Arrowslinger you have quite the playground at your fingertips. I plan on doing some training hikes/camps around there in the off season if you would like to meet up.

IChaseCoues

Lil-Rokslider
Its a shame that a few a hole ranchers give the rest of us a bad rap. But it happens and I have experienced it myself. Just be real familiar with the maps and rules of state land and don't be afraid to record an encounter. Let the NMDGF know when you have problems so they can keep a record of what, where and who it is causing the rest of us so much grief.

On the other side of the story the main reason landowners are so protective is they have dealt with a lot of idiot John Q Publics doing as they please on land that someone else owns. But that still gives them no right to harass law abiding hunters on State or Public land.

IChaseCoues

Lil-Rokslider
WhiteOak, There are many day trips and overnighters that take you to some amazing places in NM. If you want some ideas I'd be glad to throw out some spots.

WhiteOak

Lil-Rokslider
Man I'd really appreciate that, thank you. Drove off the llano estacado this past weekend, that was pretty cool too. Stopped at ute lake to do some fishing managed to catch a couple bass in a wind protected cove. Itching to apply for hunts next year. How are y'all making out this season

The Loon

FNG
Another East Mountain guy here.

Me and 1000 other people have the Javelina tag in 19,23-27 this coming Feb. If anyone else has the tag and would like to share the adventure I'd be happy to pair up. First time javelina hunter so any wise words would be appreciated.

-Loon

IChaseCoues

Lil-Rokslider
Loon, that hunt can be a blast. We have done it a few times and are far from experts but it is a great low stress hunt for me and the family. I wish I had a tag this year but took too long to make up my mind on a left over tag and lost out. Its a great time to go camp in the desert and hang out while looking for Javelina and quail.
Good luck and share the story!