New Mexico

Looking for like minded backpacking roksliders, I'm down in Ruidoso, let me know if anyone wants to meet up

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Not quite NM but I'm in El Paso and spend my free time around those parts
If you come up to Cruces let me know. I don't know if you are much of a bird hunter, but dove season is in for a few more weeks if you guys want to get together.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

teamvit

Lil-Rokslider
Equal opportunity hunter. I had a few killer dove and teal days a week ago. If I head up that way I'll let you know or if you come this way I have a pretty good dove spot on my side in NM

IChaseCoues

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the North East corner of the state but would be up for a meet up some time with some other 'Sliders! I travel around the state some but mostly stay in the northern half and ABQ.

Anyone else here from NM? I know there are a few more!

WhiteOak

Lil-Rokslider
That is great to hear! I haven't been able to find much on waterfowling in the area. I know it gets damn good around Lubbock and was hoping they made their way around here too. The dove here are huge too I hope to get after some in the next couple of weeks after I get the family settled. I haven't been able to hunt dove for about 4 years but where I just moved from has a early Canada goose season in September I was able to get a few before I left to be honest I like Canada meat more than most ducks besides woodys they are a delicacy.

JPD350

WKR
This is cool, getting to be a handful of NM Roksliders.

I am in Abq but come Nov 15 I will be traveling around looking for quail with my new English pointer who will be 1 year old Nov 3rd, so if anyone knows some good spots I am in, can't wait to shoot the first bird over him, he is so ready for his first season!
JP

That is great to hear! I haven't been able to find much on waterfowling in the area. I know it gets damn good around Lubbock and was hoping they made their way around here too. The dove here are huge too I hope to get after some in the next couple of weeks after I get the family settled. I haven't been able to hunt dove for about 4 years but where I just moved from has a early Canada goose season in September I was able to get a few before I left to be honest I like Canada meat more than most ducks besides woodys they are a delicacy.

You'll be able to potentially find some wild bobwhites up there too. If you find some, feel free to let me know :D Plenty of scaled quail around you, and you should see quite a few sandhill cranes too.

This is cool, getting to be a handful of NM Roksliders.

I am in Abq but come Nov 15 I will be traveling around looking for quail with my new English pointer who will be 1 year old Nov 3rd, so if anyone knows some good spots I am in, can't wait to shoot the first bird over him, he is so ready for his first season!
JP

I've got a 3 year old Setter that is still pretty green(we can kill some birds over her, but every now and then she'll point a covey and then rip them up for the hell of it), and a year old pointer pup myself. Let me know if you make it down this way. I hunt over in the SE corner of the state some and I might actually have a few birds around Cruces this year. Plan on making a few trips to a different parts of the state to look for quail and do a little scouting for deer to come up with a few new units to put in for while I'm at it.

WhiteOak

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds good guys, if anyone's down for some afternoon grub and a dove or quail shoot I'll be set in a few weeks once we get settled here. Between Cruces and Ruidoso and portales im down to travel i would like to learn as much as i can about the area. Also if yall want to hunt ducks or geese im in too

IChaseCoues

Lil-Rokslider
Portales is a pretty good area for a hunting nut. I lived there for a couple years and didn't realize the potential until being there for a while. Ironically I still haven't hunted anything besides coyotes there, but might start applying for deer near there.

Man I'd love to hunt some geese and ducks some day, I used to go with my parents when I was real young but they stopped going before I was able to shoot. I've wanted to try it ever since but just haven't made the leap to try it.

Sounds good guys, if anyone's down for some afternoon grub and a dove or quail shoot I'll be set in a few weeks once we get settled here. Between Cruces and Ruidoso and portales im down to travel i would like to learn as much as i can about the area. Also if yall want to hunt ducks or geese im in too

Tons of quail and dove hunting in Clovis and Portales.
I'd also highly recommend scouting for deer around there... they are not "highly sought after units", but there are some good deer out there.
Someone else also hit the nail on the head. Start talking to farmers!

JPD350

WKR
You'll be able to potentially find some wild bobwhites up there too. If you find some, feel free to let me know :D Plenty of scaled quail around you, and you should see quite a few sandhill cranes too.

I've got a 3 year old Setter that is still pretty green(we can kill some birds over her, but every now and then she'll point a covey and then rip them up for the hell of it), and a year old pointer pup myself. Let me know if you make it down this way. I hunt over in the SE corner of the state some and I might actually have a few birds around Cruces this year. Plan on making a few trips to a different parts of the state to look for quail and do a little scouting for deer to come up with a few new units to put in for while I'm at it.

My daughter goes to State so I am down there every once in a while but I have never had the time to scout around the area, hard to drive that far without having a plan.

I deer hunt west of Roswell/ Artesia and know of some good spots for quail so yea lets meet up and get the dogs out and kill some birds, my pup is totally ready to tear it up

Attachments

• 20170710_202223 (1) 2.jpg
    20170710_202223 (1) 2.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 20171009_165704.jpg
    20171009_165704.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 29

efnm

WKR
I'm in Socorro. I was just in Ruidoso for a friend's elk hunt - I wish I had seen this earlier!

My daughter goes to State so I am down there every once in a while but I have never had the time to scout around the area, hard to drive that far without having a plan.

I deer hunt west of Roswell/ Artesia and know of some good spots for quail so yea lets meet up and get the dogs out and kill some birds, my pup is totally ready to tear it up

My wife teaches at NMSU in the Animal Science dept.

Who did you get that pup from? Looks like one from the litter that mine is out of.

JPD350

WKR
My wife teaches at NMSU in the Animal Science dept.

Who did you get that pup from? Looks like one from the litter that mine is out of.

which one is yours, mine is the loner

Attachments

• 15107237_1347866068558286_2620288017183033907_n.jpg
    15107237_1347866068558286_2620288017183033907_n.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 32

JPD350

WKR
I have seen Baily she is co owned by Ryan at Garrett Gundogs and a guy named David and I have also seen Kari which is Dwain's female pup, both are great looking dogs, I am sure yours looks awesome too!

I sent Trapper to Garreett Gundogs for 2 months to get him to hold his point, he was busting the birds as I got closer LOL he wanted to get the birds first. I have only had him back for a couple weeks and he is doing much better at holding now.