El Paso

JDeanP

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone in the area chase javalina or other small game? Moved to the area a bit late in the season to make a serious move on big game, but I'll sling an arrow at just about anything legal.

I'm not asking for anyone's secret spot, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings to learn which areas in TX/NM are worth looking into further and which to write off.

Looking forward to getting to know the area and meet some locals.

NM has an OTC tag for Javelina now. It's for most of the state, just not the part of the state that has most of the skunk pigs. You can get a Barbary OTC tag, as well as a first come first serve late season archery elk tag(6x6 or better bull). There are also quite a few bear zones still open. Fall turkey starts next month. Those would be your options for big game.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
JDeanP

JDeanP

Lil-Rokslider
Man, I've got some reading to do then. I was happy with javi and rodents to hold me over.

From what I've read so far, NM is probably the better option for public land avcess.

Man, I've got some reading to do then. I was happy with javi and rodents to hold me over.

From what I've read so far, NM is probably the better option for public land avcess.

It is for Javi’s or if you live in El Paso. Majority of the of NF is east of I-35. San Diego CA is closer to him then any of Texas’ NF.

If Big Bend was NF instead of National park would be a lot different.

To the OP you need to learn look at all the Texas draw hunts next year. Most the public around you is state draw hunts, big bend state, series diablo, black gap Etc.

OP
JDeanP

JDeanP

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, I moved about the worst time of year for a hunter to do so, but when work says "move", you move.

Draw hunts are something I'll really need to read up on and research for sure. I've done a handfull of draw hunts, but as a regular way of doing things, it's new to me. On the plus side, I'll drive a couple hunred miles to bowhunt grasshoppers if that's what there is available.

Texas really is pretty bare on the West end for public land. I have a feeling I'll be getting to know NM well enough in 2018.

Thanks for everyone's feedback. If anyone hears of a worthwhile 3D shoot or the like, shoot me a line.

Look up High Desert Archery in Las Cruces. One of my best friends is the shop manager. They have an indoor league and will have all the info for 3d shoots in NM come 3d season. There was a archery club in El Paso that would have a 3d shoot several times a year, but I'm not sure if they are around anymore or not.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
JDeanP

JDeanP

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome. Thank you. Absolutely will check them out.

boom

WKR
what i do miss about EL Paso is that rifle range they have on base.

do they still let everyone use it? man, that place was awesome. i used to reload ammo back then and would hit the range a lot.
my range local to me now is a turd by comparison.