Nor Cal rondy wrap up

When Shack and I first spoke about setting up a Rokslide get together I was apprehensive , 6 to 8 guys total strangers sharing camp seemed sketchy to me. Boy was I right , all 5 of these guys are total Thespian A Holes. Na , just messing, everyone was super cool , id share camp with anyone of them again. Guys made this roady from up and down the state some 2 to 7 hr treks , LA , Fort Brag , Central Valley and to the east as far as Tahoe .

Friday we all arrived and after setting camp we all took off until dark to hunt. We got back started to chit chat about our hunt and about our seasons and kind of see what everyones about. Then the brews came out , the fresh caught crab , the Elk steaks, the venison jerky and the stories and joking that went on , too late , was priceless. Im sure at this point everyone see’s we are all like minded and there not an a$$hole among us. Saturday morning i woke with a “headache” well before light and after a couple cups of coffee , we paired up and hit the hills hard. One pig busted out of the thick brush is all we managed. Theres a lack of sign and acorns this season and the added hunting pressure on Saturday didn’t help. We all made our way back to camp after dark and one mentioned he met another Rokslider while hunting so we went to his camp and got him and his partner down to eat some cheddar jalapeño venison burgers and tri tip. The $hit talking and stories that went on between us was hilarious it was if we had shared camp before and was well passed midnight by the time we got to bed. Sunday only one ventured to the field as we all had long drives and life to get back too so most left early.

We got to check out gear from multiple manufacturers. Packs from all the big players , Kifaru , Exo, Stone Glacier , Kuiu . Shelters from Seek Outside and Luna. Apparel and boots from most companies. Bows and broadheads from a variety of manufactures. Sleep systems from slick bags to quilts and huge variety of knives. Looking over this gear was a huge plus. I’m not sure if my bank account will benefit or be demolished from this trip but some items i planned to buy i will not and somethings i had not planned on buying i will now after getting to see it and put hands on .

Thanks to those who made the trip and even though we didn’t harvest , i think the trip was a success and a ton of fun. Please feel free to share your experience and pictures on this post.
97a9de19354a6b70a8580a9628a4db34.jpg
fad89c8ac3ad3f80219fb6a24a541d1c.jpg
add76e4bad3d04620153543481fb0de2.jpg

goldenarrow

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for setting this whole thing up. It was a blast pigs or no. It didn't feel like a bunch of guys that just met it felt like we had known each other for years.

When Shack and I first spoke about setting up a Rokslide get together I was apprehensive , 6 to 8 guys total strangers sharing camp seemed sketchy to me. Boy was I right , all 5 of these guys are total Thespian A Holes. Na , just messing, everyone was super cool , id share camp with anyone of them again. Guys made this roady from up and down the state some 2 to 7 hr treks , LA , Fort Brag , Central Valley and to the east as far as Tahoe .

Friday we all arrived and after setting camp we all took off until dark to hunt. We got back started to chit chat about our hunt and about our seasons and kind of see what everyones about. Then the brews came out , the fresh caught crab , the Elk steaks, the venison jerky and the stories and joking that went on , too late , was priceless. Im sure at this point everyone see’s we are all like minded and there not an a$$hole among us. Saturday morning i woke with a “headache” well before light and after a couple cups of coffee , we paired up and hit the hills hard. One pig busted out of the thick brush is all we managed. Theres a lack of sign and acorns this season and the added hunting pressure on Saturday didn’t help. We all made our way back to camp after dark and one mentioned he met another Rokslider while hunting so we went to his camp and got him and his partner down to eat some cheddar jalapeño venison burgers and tri tip. The $hit talking and stories that went on between us was hilarious it was if we had shared camp before and was well passed midnight by the time we got to bed. Sunday only one ventured to the field as we all had long drives and life to get back too so most left early.

We got to check out gear from multiple manufacturers. Packs from all the big players , Kifaru , Exo, Stone Glacier , Kuiu . Shelters from Seek Outside and Luna. Apparel and boots from most companies. Bows and broadheads from a variety of manufactures. Sleep systems from slick bags to quilts and huge variety of knives. Looking over this gear was a huge plus. I’m not sure if my bank account will benefit or be demolished from this trip but some items i planned to buy i will not and somethings i had not planned on buying i will now after getting to see it and put hands on .

Thanks to those who made the trip and even though we didn’t harvest , i think the trip was a success and a ton of fun. Please feel free to share your experience and pictures on this post.
97a9de19354a6b70a8580a9628a4db34.jpg
fad89c8ac3ad3f80219fb6a24a541d1c.jpg
add76e4bad3d04620153543481fb0de2.jpg
Lake Sonoma pig hunt 2017
0533d461a652606ba788021d24144e95.jpg
00db0876c8cea5f25a41861348801967.jpg
e254d747d3e60e7ee596015b1dba6cd4.jpg
e9c463ea5afcc4af022448e3ccbeda58.jpg

Sent from my USCC-E6762 using Tapatalk

great writeup.

this proves it..there are no A-holes in Norcal. :)

Bulllllsh*t...California is loaded with em, they just don't hunt. Hey guys, I wanted to join ya but work got in the way. Millions on Welfare were relying on me. Whaddaya say we book a week-long hunt at the end of May before the summer heat kicks in? There are some places that are only accessible by boat...we could bring packrafts and try the more remote spots. Just thinking out loud. I have put together some similar outings on other forums and discovered most guys are cool when ya meet em. Hunters, particularly bow hunters are cut from a unique cloth. I'm in OC so we still need a local up there to coordinate.

OP
Cant hit em
Bulllllsh*t...California is loaded with em, they just don't hunt. Hey guys, I wanted to join ya but work got in the way. Millions on Welfare were relying on me. Whaddaya say we book a week-long hunt at the end of May before the summer heat kicks in? There are some places that are only accessible by boat...we could bring packrafts and try the more remote spots. Just thinking out loud. I have put together some similar outings on other forums and discovered most guys are cool when ya meet em. Hunters, particularly bow hunters are cut from a unique cloth. I'm in OC so we still need a local up there to coordinate.

The hunting of Public land closes mid March at the spot we went to . We had such a great time we are doing it again in January. Im game though to set something up with you , there is a reasonably priced hog hunt in collinga that includes lodging if we wanted to go that route

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

boom

WKR

ah..the irony.

boom

WKR
back to Lake Sonoma.

that place is tough!! i rank a Lake Sonoma hog up there with on my bucket list animals.

AK moose
Sonoran Mulie
.Hog from Lake Sonoma.
they are so challenging. almost a Grail animal at this point for me.