Michigan group

Are you ALL heading out west this season??? I am going LAST MINUTE. Just spent WAAAAAAy too much on gear. I am heading out to Denver and turning LEFT. Gonna stay mobile and camp at trailheads and maybe a night or two on the mountain. Where you all heading? maybe a meet up...let me know.

Nevvon

FNG
I realize this thread is a bit old but wanted to say that I’m looking for some partners for western elk hunting. I aspire to go to Montana. Very experienced backpacker and whitetail hunter my whole life (bow and rifle). I’m a elk rookie though. 42 years old and In good shape. Don’t think a trip west is in the cards in 2019, but I will purchase a preference point in MT. Let me know if anybody is looking for partner...
That would be a great hunt. I have not hunted out of state yet. I am going to the BHA rendezvous next year in Missoula (June) and plan to do some scouting while there. Do you have an idea of where you would want to hunt? I am not sure I can pull off two trips to MT next year. It is quite daunting to have to travel so far with limited time off. I would hate to commit and then leave a guy hanging.

Mbagwell

FNG
I am new to backpack hunting with a few short backpacking trips in northern Michigan. I’m 33 and have hunted deer in Michigan since I was 14. Looking for info and training help.

Nevvon

FNG
I am new to backpack hunting with a few short backpacking trips in northern Michigan. I’m 33 and have hunted deer in Michigan since I was 14. Looking for info and training help.
Where in MI? I live in Gaylord area. I find that training for backcountry hunts in Michigan is no different than training for backpacking. I am retired military so I have had a physical fitness routine my entire adult life that included heavy ruck marching and I have done many backcountry backpack trips on top of hunting. I would recommend basic cardio, weights/body weight training, and walking with a heavy pack on and off trails. I purchased a book man years ago called conditioning for outdoor fitness, it gives a great breakdown of exercise by specific outdoor activity- skiing, snowshoeing, climbing etc. If you want to pay for something and/or are planning a western event I recommend mountain tactical institute (formerly Mountain Athlete) they have many different options that you can do right at home or your local gym but their actual location is Wyoming (I think).
If you are thinking of coming to northern MI send me a message, I would love to have a partner out in the PRC for a backcountry trip. You could also look into backcountry hunters and anglers. There are many folks that train and hunt in our organization. we have members all of Michigan and definitely out west. I am on the state board and can link you up with some folks as well.
Dave

Mbagwell

FNG
Where in MI? I live in Gaylord area. I find that training for backcountry hunts in Michigan is no different than training for backpacking. I am retired military so I have had a physical fitness routine my entire adult life that included heavy ruck marching and I have done many backcountry backpack trips on top of hunting. I would recommend basic cardio, weights/body weight training, and walking with a heavy pack on and off trails. I purchased a book man years ago called conditioning for outdoor fitness, it gives a great breakdown of exercise by specific outdoor activity- skiing, snowshoeing, climbing etc. If you want to pay for something and/or are planning a western event I recommend mountain tactical institute (formerly Mountain Athlete) they have many different options that you can do right at home or your local gym but their actual location is Wyoming (I think).
If you are thinking of coming to northern MI send me a message, I would love to have a partner out in the PRC for a backcountry trip. You could also look into backcountry hunters and anglers. There are many folks that train and hunt in our organization. we have members all of Michigan and definitely out west. I am on the state board and can link you up with some folks as well.
Dave

Thank you very much, I will be looking into that Mtn tactical and looking up back country hunters and anglers. I will let you know when I'm heading that way for sure.

Sorry for delay - I’ve been chasing those white tails! I have scouted a few units via OnX but haven’t committed a strategy. I’m highly interested in coordinating a trip. Is your trip next year for the BHA event during elk season? I am also interested in the MI BHA group. Any feedback pro or con?

That would be a great hunt. I have not hunted out of state yet. I am going to the BHA rendezvous next year in Missoula (June) and plan to do some scouting while there. Do you have an idea of where you would want to hunt? I am not sure I can pull off two trips to MT next year. It is quite daunting to have to travel so far with limited time off. I would hate to commit and then leave a guy hanging.

Sorry for delay - I’ve been chasing those white tails! I have scouted a few units via OnX but haven’t committed a strategy. I’m highly interested in coordinating a trip. Is your trip next year for the BHA event during elk season? I am also interested in the MI BHA group. Any feedback pro or con?
As a BHA Life Member, I welcome you to the tribe if you are thinking of joining! We are a great group of people that love to be in the outdoors and conserve it for the future. At the very least, come out to one of the BHA Pint nights and have a few brews with the crew! If you like what you see, join the group at the event. Best use of money I have spent in a while!! At this point in time there are no Pint Nights scheduled due to everyone being out in the field, but stay tuned on the BHA Website and there will be some in the future!!

Nevvon

FNG
Sorry I have been out for a while. the rendezvous is in June (https://www.backcountryhunters.org/rendezvous_2020). MI BHA is a good group, I am a life member and a member of the state BOD. We are growing fast and focused on keeping public lands in public hands. Like @MallardMaster said, check out the website, facebook, Instagram pages. You will get a real good idea what we are all about. Pint nights are always a great way to meet the group, but we also do other events like F3T, story nights with Filson, etc. Hope to meet you at one of the events soon!