My Badlands Film Fest Short Film

joshmo

Lil-Rokslider
4 years ago I went on my first elk hunt and was hooked after the 1st bugle. Two years ago I moved from Daytona Beach FL to Northern Idaho. This film is my four year struggle to get my first elk. I got him while solo spike camp hunting. It was during rifle season and I carried my bow and rifle. I shot him at 30 yards..unfortunatley my bow is laying down practially by his feet. I backed up to call and my plan was to then go set up with my bow. Unfortunately the lead cow dropped in withinin about 30 secs and pinned me down. Some people have said I should have tried to get my bow...Sitting there by myself, I felt I didnt have a choice with my first bull! Let me know what you think!

"Journey Within" Our First Elk - 2017 Badlands Film Fest - YouTube

Randle

WKR
Very cool , congrats and thanks for sharing, when it happens fast like that it is pretty awesome for sure.

OP
J

joshmo

Lil-Rokslider
Very cool , congrats and thanks for sharing, when it happens fast like that it is pretty awesome for sure.

Thanks Randle! I was in panic mode when it went down! Look forward to several more decades of hunting them now!

GIS

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome video! Thanks for sharing and congrats on a great bull. I think you made the right decision by taking him with your rifle (you have meat in the freezer).

It's neat you got it all on film and solo to boot!

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

OP
J

joshmo

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome video! Thanks for sharing and congrats on a great bull. I think you made the right decision by taking him with your rifle (you have meat in the freezer).

It's neat you got it all on film and solo to boot!

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Thanks so much GIS! Yeah the inner Rambo in me wanted to belly crawl up to my bow in front of the 15 cows and shoot, but the stomach in me said shoot the dang bull from where youre at and eat well for the next 6 months! Glad you liked it! - Josh

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great film man thanks for sharing! Can't fake emotion like that, nice work!

Really enjoyed the solo footage. That was an awesome first bull and you did the right thing by taking what was presented. That's cool you got to relocate to a place where you can spend more time in the field increasing your chances for encounters and making it payoff. Loved the passion and excitement in the moment. Got me going as well, rock on brother.

Great video and awesome hunt. I really liked how the video showed the story of exactly why that first elk is so memorable. Too bad your friends couldn't be there with you. Especially to help pack it out.

I would have used the gun as well.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

OP
J

joshmo

Lil-Rokslider
Really enjoyed the solo footage. That was an awesome first bull and you did the right thing by taking what was presented. That's cool you got to relocate to a place where you can spend more time in the field increasing your chances for encounters and making it payoff. Loved the passion and excitement in the moment. Got me going as well, rock on brother.

Awesome comment Shorthair! That makes all the effort and lost opportunity lugging the camera around seem worth it! I feel blessed to live where I do and don't miss Florida one bit! I was made for these mountains! Lol

OP
J

joshmo

Lil-Rokslider
Great video and awesome hunt. I really liked how the video showed the story of exactly why that first elk is so memorable. Too bad your friends couldn't be there with you. Especially to help pack it out.

I would have used the gun as well.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Maninthemaze, i really appreciate the kind words. You are right, I don't think I'll ever forget that first bull for as long as I live! And I don't think my legs will ever forget the packout! 3 trips in about 9 hours! My wife met me at my trail head with a beer and sandwich on the 2ND leg...it was a great day!