Walkout Sheep Hunt 2018

gdavis

Lil-Rokslider
1 month out from doing a walkout 8 day Sheep hunt (10 days including travel). 10 miles as the crow flies to base camp, then bivy out of camp the surrounding range. Ramping up training and diet and getting all odds and ends together. Done plenty of moose, caribou and bear hunting up here in Alaska with success. Never truly sheep hunted up here since I had a bad experience and had to call my first attempt a "field trip". Lesson learned was that good friends don't equal good hunting partners, so choose them carefully and make sure they can hack it before taking them out, for any species. Anyways, im a former D1 football player and feel like I was born for sheep hunting and finally getting the chance, sharing my gear list ill be taking out. This is a list that I have been revamping specifically for sheep for the most part. If you have extensive experience with this sort of hunting, your feedback and wisdom is appreciated on the gear lineup, specifically if something on this list has failed you. Ill be revisiting this post to give a full update on what worked, what didn't work, and hopefully report of success. Thanks in advance.

Pack
.Stone Glacier Sky 7400
Rifle/Optics
.Weatherby Vangaurd .300wm
.Sig Sauer Tango6 3-18x44 scope
.10 rounds 190gr Nosler LR Accubond
.Vortex Razor 20-60x85 spotter w/tripod
.Leica CRF 2000B RF
.Vortex Viper 10x42 binos
.Alaska Guide Creations Kodiak CUB Maxx bino harness
Clothing/Gear
.Hanwag Trapper GTX boots
.Kuiu Yukon Gaiters
.Merino wool Socks x3
.Merino wool underwear x2
.Kuiu Polyester thermal zip-off bottoms
.Kuiu Alpine hunting pants
.Kuiu 125 merino Tshirt
.Kuiu 210 merino fleece
.Kuiu Peloton 97 hoody
.Kuiu Super Down Jacket
.Kuiu Chugach Rain jacket & pants
.Wool gloves/ synthetic liner gloves
.Wool beanie
.Kuiu wool balaclava
Shelter/Sleep
.Sierra Designs 3person 4season lightweight Tent
.0degree synthetic Sleeping bag
.Klymit full size Sleeping pad
.Outdoor Research Alpine Bivy
.Lightweight tarp
.Lightweight tent clothes hanger
Food/Water
.Jetboil + 1 gas canister
.16 Mountain house
.16 Costco protein bars
.16 slim jim/cheese combo packs
.Assorted candy (chocolate/sour patch kids)
.Instant coffee packs
.Platypus filter
.Water flavoring
Miscellaneous
.Devotional/Bible
.License and Tags
.Spare cash and debit card
.Headlamp + backup lamp
.Spare batteries
.GPS, phone charging cords
.Power bank
.Havalon knife with extra blades
.Game bags
.Emergency/Med kit
.GPS
.Nalgene bottle w/measurements
.Trekking poles
.Para chord
.Lightweight "camp towel"

Total pack weight including everything listed beside clothes I wear out is right about 73lbs. Not ideal but not bad for a walkout.

OregonInAlaska

Lil-Rokslider
1 month out from doing a walkout 8 day Sheep hunt (10 days including travel). 10 miles as the crow flies to base camp, then bivy out of camp the surrounding range. Ramping up training and diet and getting all odds and ends together. Done plenty of moose, caribou and bear hunting up here in Alaska with success. Never truly sheep hunted up here since I had a bad experience and had to call my first attempt a "field trip". Lesson learned was that good friends don't equal good hunting partners, so choose them carefully and make sure they can hack it before taking them out, for any species. Anyways, im a former D1 football player and feel like I was born for sheep hunting and finally getting the chance, sharing my gear list ill be taking out. This is a list that I have been revamping specifically for sheep for the most part. If you have extensive experience with this sort of hunting, your feedback and wisdom is appreciated on the gear lineup, specifically if something on this list has failed you. Ill be revisiting this post to give a full update on what worked, what didn't work, and hopefully report of success. Thanks in advance.

Pack
.Stone Glacier Sky 7400
Rifle/Optics
.Leica CRF 2000B RF
Clothing/Gear
.Kuiu Yukon Gaiters
.Merino wool Socks x3
.Kuiu 125 merino Tshirt
.Kuiu 210 merino fleece
.Kuiu Peloton 97 hoody
.Kuiu Super Down Jacket
.Wool beanie
.Kuiu wool balaclava
Shelter/Sleep
.Lightweight tarp
Food/Water
.16 Mountain house
.16 Costco protein bars
.Instant coffee packs
.Platypus filter
.Water flavoring
Miscellaneous
.Devotional/Bible
.License and Tags
.Headlamp + backup lamp
.Spare batteries
.Power bank
.Game bags
.Emergency/Med kit
.GPS
.Trekking poles
.Para chord

Total pack weight including everything listed beside clothes I wear out is right about 73lbs. Not ideal but not bad for a walkout.

I think you’ll find to half that stuff won’t get used and left next year. You gotta go and learn. Go completely through your bag when you get home. Make a detailed list of what was used and what was needed.

Okay so here is my take for what its worth. I would rethink or cut the following items: Gaiters (unless you really know the area and the terrain/brush REALLY warrants them).Headlamps, it should be light enough even late into the day that you shouldn't need these. If you really think you need one get one of the lightest most compact that takes a small battery and call it good. Sleep system, I understand the base camp-bivy strategy but would think about a little smaller tent set-up. I think that you could easily leave items with a quick tarp at "base camp". If it is just you a lighter 2 man or a 1 man with vestibule would be the ticket especially in getting camp, meat , and cape etc. out. Seems to me that the 0 degree bag might be heavier than needed both in terms of warmth and actual weight. Food; always a lot of weight here but with 16 Mtn house I assume that you plan on eating these for lunch and dinner. I would cut the number to 9-10 meals and then add other trail mix, jerky, etc to supplement the day time caloric intake. Clothing: You know what works for you and after your field trip you have a good idea. However, it seems like a lot of heavier items. I get colder than most but after a few cold hunts I have learned that with base layer, midlayer a puffy and Rain shell I can handle about everything. I used to carry a towel too but now just use the bottom or sleeve of whatever is handy and have been happy. Anyway, no matter I wish you best of luck and am interested in what works for you.

PNWGATOR

WKR
The guys at provingtrailadventures dot com have extensive experience and have their gear lists and some nice content on their site.

Agree with the three poster's comments. I'd add some electrolyte mix replacing the water flavoring. I sure like foil packed tuna or salmon on the mountain for lunch on Finn Crisp (Rye Crisp). Good luck on your hunt!!!

73lbs starting weight is a bit high, about 25 pounds more than what I'd prefer, but if that's what it takes to get you in the mountains than roll with it.

16 mountian house for 8 days?

Question, are you planning on making two trips in and out if you kill one? Cause at that base weight, it's nearly inevitable unless you eat half the sheep :)

Headlamps, it should be light enough even late into the day that you shouldn't need these. If you really think you need one get one of the lightest most compact that takes a small battery and call it good.

I found a headlamp pretty critical last year on a late evening sheep, but agree that just one UL version will do. It does get dark for a few brief hours.

Sleep system, I understand the base camp-bivy strategy but would think about a little smaller tent set-up. I think that you could easily leave items with a quick tarp at "base camp". If it is just you a lighter 2 man or a 1 man with vestibule would be the ticket especially in getting camp, meat , and cape etc. out.

Agree that this is a really heavy shelter set up, especially if going solo. Similiar to Bearlodge, I prefer to take a light 1 or 2p tent and just move as needed when solo. With a partner I have most often taken a light 3p tent + a light tarp. The tarp gets carried as an e-bivy during day hunts or used to cover gear/meat at base.

HClothing: You know what works for you and after your field trip you have a good idea. However, it seems like a lot of heavier items. I get colder than most but after a few cold hunts I have learned that with base layer, midlayer a puffy and Rain shell I can handle about everything.

Same here. I suspect you may be overdone on the top layers.

Only other thing I would recommend is doing as many camping trips as possible in the next month. That diet may not agree with you for an extended period, and that's worth finding out ahead of time. Zero chance I could handle 16 MH in a row (or even fit them all in my pack).

Pack
.Stone Glacier Sky 7400
Rifle/Optics
.Leica CRF 2000B RF
Clothing/Gear
.Kuiu Yukon Gaiters
.Merino wool Socks x3
.Kuiu 125 merino Tshirt
.Kuiu 210 merino fleece
.Kuiu Peloton 97 hoody
.Kuiu Super Down Jacket
.Wool beanie
.Kuiu wool balaclava
Shelter/Sleep
.Lightweight tarp
Food/Water
.16 Mountain house
.16 Costco protein bars
.Instant coffee packs
.Platypus filter
.Water flavoring
Miscellaneous
.Devotional/Bible
.License and Tags
.Headlamp + backup lamp
.Spare batteries
.Power bank
.Game bags
.Emergency/Med kit
.GPS
.Trekking poles
.Para chord

Well first off, you couldn’t have picked a better pack (that’s the pack I use).
I’m guessing that your rifle is probably pushing 9 lbs., or more, which is pretty heavy for a mountain rifle, but if that’s what you’re comfortable with. I think you have way too much regarding clothing. Aside from what you’re wearing, the only thing extra I would pack is two pair of socks, one pair of underwear, puffy pants/jacket, a good beanie that covers your ears, and maybe some merino wool tops and bottoms. Oh, and your rain gear is also spot on. I like to take very little in the way of extra clothing and usually just sleep in what I’m wearing, unless it’s too hot. Your tent, sleeping bag, pad and bivy are all too big and heavy, ditch ‘em.
If you must bring a base camp tent, bring something smaller and lighter like a Big Agnes Flycreek 1 or 2, and use that as your spike camp as well. If you can get by without a base camp tent, I would suggest using just an ultra lightweight floorless shelter along with an ultra lightweight bivy (not a stand alone bivy), Thermarest Xlite pad, and a little higher degree rated down quilt. A regular length, wide, 20° down quilt will weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 oz., maybe less, and if you get cold, you can always supplement your puffy clothing.
I think your food list looks pretty good. I usually plan a Mountain House meal for breakfast and dinner, then just supplement miscellaneous stuff like beef jerky, hunter sticks, trail mix, cheese, etc., for my lunches.
One headlamp should be plenty. I would ditch the Nalgene bottle and replace that with 1L Platypus water bladders. Also, you might want some sort of Camelback water bladder in your pack so you have a way of hydrating while on the move. Ditch the Bible unless you feel that it’s an absolute necessity, then only bring a pocket-size one.
I didn’t see anything in there for taking pictures. Are you planning on bringing a camera, or your cell phone?

73 lbs. starting wt. is pretty serious and if you’re successful, you could be looking at having to pack out somewhere in the neighborhood of 180 lbs. when you factor in the wt. of meat, cape, and horns in addition to your initial pack wt. You’d definitely want to make at least a couple trips to try to avoid any injuries. Even rolling an ankle, especially when solo and remote, could have significant consequences.

Good luck with your hunt, I hope you have an enjoyable experience and everything goes well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
gdavis

gdavis

Lil-Rokslider
So I should have added that this is not a solo hunt, I am going with 2 others, both experienced hunters, one has done a lot of successful sheep hunting. There will be 3 hence the tent, which is only 7lbs total which we will be spreading out. The bivy is 2lbs that is for the option of staying out on the mountain, do you guys bring this or just sleep on the ground under a tarp? Do you leave the sleeping pad at home and sleep on the ground? Do you stay warm enough doing this?

Clothing: So minus the extra boxers and bring only 2 pairs of socks (including what im wearing)? And minus the 210 fleece?

Food: I am very comfortable with the amount of mountain houses, I have done 10 day moose hunts with literally just mountain house and candy, I do MTN house for breakfast and dinner with the others supplemented throughout the day and feel great, but learned and now have a diet very similar to AK Troutbums (BTW troutbum we live in the same town! I love living out here in Peters Creek). I really like that idea of electrolyte replacement, definitely going that route now thanks.

Pictures are going to be on my phone, thinking about doing a video of the hunt but well see, if I do, ill post it for y'all. Due to funds, a lot of this is pretty much what I have to go with, next year I will be able to make changes, but I am definitely open to cutting out things that are not needed. The rifle situation is what it is, you were spot on it weighs 9.2lbs, I don't have a dedicated sheep gun, this rifle kills everything here for me bear, moose, caribou. I use the same cartridge for all 3 animals, even if its a couple lbs more but my wallet is a $$$ heavier by having 1 rifle.

Gaiters dont effect my pack weight and I very much prefer them so those will stay.

OP
gdavis

gdavis

Lil-Rokslider
It could get less, right now im packing in the only spotter and tent, I might get one of the other guys to pack the tent. That's -7lbs. Mind you that weight is rifle and everything.

Doing the trip with 2 other people can potentially change things considerably. I would definitely want to split the wt. of everything that is communally used and I’d try not to duplicate as much stuff as possible. So the obvious things are tent, and spotter, but you may also want to consider stuff like binos, range finder, Jetboil, rifle, sat phone, gps, even some kill kit stuff and 1st aide, and anything else that you could possibly share. I’ve never done a mountain hunt with 3 people before but I’ve been on several with just 1 other buddy and occasionally have shared all of the items I’ve just described including the use of a bear fence on Kodiak. Anyway, just some things to consider. Let me know if there’s anything I could help you with, I never mind helping out a neighbor.

It could get less, right now im packing in the only spotter and tent, I might get one of the other guys to pack the tent. That's -7lbs. Mind you that weight is rifle and everything.

When hunting with somebody else, I have always split the spotter and tent/tarp (particularly with an 85mm!). Also split the electronics (Satphone/GPS/Rangfinder) and sometimes the cook gear/fuel too. Each guy carrying individual jetboils adds up vs a single stove + large pot.

With three people going back 10 miles, I would strongly consider cutting one rifle also. The odds of all three of you needing rifles at the same time is basically non-existent.

idig4au

WKR
So I should have added that this is not a solo hunt, I am going with 2 others, both experienced hunters, one has done a lot of successful sheep hunting. There will be 3 hence the tent, which is only 7lbs total which we will be spreading out. The bivy is 2lbs that is for the option of staying out on the mountain, do you guys bring this or just sleep on the ground under a tarp? Do you leave the sleeping pad at home and sleep on the ground? Do you stay warm enough doing this?

Clothing: So minus the extra boxers and bring only 2 pairs of socks (including what im wearing)? And minus the 210 fleece?

Food: I am very comfortable with the amount of mountain houses, I have done 10 day moose hunts with literally just mountain house and candy, I do MTN house for breakfast and dinner with the others supplemented throughout the day and feel great, but learned and now have a diet very similar to AK Troutbums (BTW troutbum we live in the same town! I love living out here in Peters Creek). I really like that idea of electrolyte replacement, definitely going that route now thanks.

Pictures are going to be on my phone, thinking about doing a video of the hunt but well see, if I do, ill post it for y'all. Due to funds, a lot of this is pretty much what I have to go with, next year I will be able to make changes, but I am definitely open to cutting out things that are not needed. The rifle situation is what it is, you were spot on it weighs 9.2lbs, I don't have a dedicated sheep gun, this rifle kills everything here for me bear, moose, caribou. I use the same cartridge for all 3 animals, even if its a couple lbs more but my wallet is a $$$ heavier by having 1 rifle.

Gaiters dont effect my pack weight and I very much prefer them so those will stay.

3 guys in a tent for 8 days? No thank you! I don’t even want to imagine the smell. I would consider a solo untralight sleeping setup for some personal space, weight savings and better rest. You can use for bivying out as well if required

Ditch the extra clothes as others have mentioned. Just carry extra socks, a spare pair of boxers and a good insulation system

Might want to consider an ultralight pair of camp shoes

Ditch the gps and get an app for your phone if you feel like you need it. Maybe get a bible app for your phone as well.

You’re about 20 lbs heavier then you need to be. My solo weight for that time would be 50-55 lbs considering how much creature comfort items I bring. As others have said ounces equals pounds and pounds make pain.

OregonInAlaska

Lil-Rokslider
3 guys in a tent for 8 days? No thank you! I don’t even want to imagine the smell. I would consider a solo untralight sleeping setup for some personal space, weight savings and better rest. You can use for bivying out as well if required

Ditch the extra clothes as others have mentioned. Just carry extra socks, a spare pair of boxers and a good insulation system

Might want to consider an ultralight pair of camp shoes

Ditch the gps and get an app for your phone if you feel like you need it. Maybe get a bible app for your phone as well.

You’re about 20 lbs heavier then you need to be. My solo weight for that time would be 50-55 lbs considering how much creature comfort items I bring. As others have said ounces equals pounds and pounds make pain.

+1 on the camp shoes. I love my crocks after a day of hard walking!

chasewild

WKR
If bible is a must, download it on your phone.

GPS, use your phone (normally, I’d say cut the power cord and power bank junk, but with pics etc., you’ll need that after two days).

What’s in your med kit? Paracord and some heavy pain killers are about all that’s realistic for any non-first responder dude wanting to kill a sheep.

Get rid of the filter. Water tabs.

Not sure what a lightweight clothes tent hanger is, but it sounds way too gucci.

Get rid of one of the two mid layers and one pair of socks.

Get rid of the “backup lamp.”

Food. Here is your main weight source from what I can tell. I for 10 days, I do 7 mountain house double serving meals. Take them out of the original wrapper, keep two wrappers (just in case one fails) and reuse for each meal. Mornings and mid day: this Greenbelly Meals - The Best Backpacking Meal

Depending on how much water flavoring you need, get rid of 50% it. Save it for a night cap or something.

The between the lines: where is all of the extra weight coming from? Are you packing 20 extra batteries or something? Are your stuff sacks made of kevlar?

Like others have said, you gotta get to 50ish pounds.

duchntr

WKR
For sure ditch the bivy, the clothes hangar, backup lamp & batteries, reading material, spare cash & cc. Also share your shared items you should be splitting that stuff up. 73lbs is a lot, pair it down now or wish you did later. Good luck on your hunt.

KHntr

Lil-Rokslider
In that case that tent is going to get tight with 3 guys in it.

Which means that you are DEFINITELY gonna want the other guys to bring spare boxers......(grin)

I will say though, rethink that Klymit sleep pad. A good NeoAir is worth its weight in gold for comfort and insulation.

Ditch the bivy. If you need to spike out and stay on the hill sleep under the tarp.

Cull the spare lamp, cull the bible. Your phone will do both in a pinch, if you like to read the bible that's fine, but you won't be judged for having it downloaded onto your phone.

KHntr

Lil-Rokslider
You might be one top layer heavy... But that is up to you.

I re-read that, and see the part now about your gear being your gear, due to funds. In that case, you are purely looking at what can be cut to get weight down. Anything that is running double duty with something else, can be culled. You don't need a back up piece of gear. ESPECIALLY if you have other guys there.

A water filter is a necessity to me personally, but I hunt Stones and sometimes the only water source for km's is a 1/4" deep depression in a rock... Tough to dip water out of that, but a filter will suck it up no problem.

I would rethink your food though, 16 protein bars is gonna be a tough go....Literally. Think in terms of total daily calories, and you will be better off. And lighter. A 6 oz bottle of olive oil can be added to mountain house and will be a great boost. Same if you add a few drops to minute rice. An ounce of steak spice will make a ptarmigan palatable.
On day 4, a can of smoked oysters added to a bag of minute rice with all that delicious oil will blow any mountain house off the mountain. And will help keep you from blowing mountain houses off the mountain. (If you aren't completely bunged up from protein bars that is......)

Add a pair of ear plugs. If you are sharing a tent with 2 other super tired guys, you are gonna need 'em if you don't fall asleep first.....