Wool garments and sheep hunting

For those of you who have done some sheep hunting, particularly in Alaska, what are your thoughts on using wool garments as an outer layer?

I am going on a sheep hunt in August and I’m curious about using a wool jacket.

Wool....Heavier, dries slower, not as wind resistant in most cases, but warm when wet, super quiet, doesn't reflect the sun much (duller), may control odor so it has plenty of plus factors. I used to hunt in wool most of the time and it worked fine. Mine was Woolrich, Pendleton or LL Bean stuff...never had King of the Mountain. Good luck in Alaska!

Last edited:
I think there are better options that are lighter and more water resistant which also provide better weight to warmth ratio. However, if the wool jacket has been part of your hunting gear and you have the space then take it. However, it has been my experience that a pack able puffy (even a vest) and a rain shell is better in Alaska. The puffy can be worn at camp and under the shell if needed, is light weight and doubles as a pillow if needed.

Maverick940

Banned
Wool works real well, but it does retain moisture. Fleece synthetics are better for what you'll be doing. Also, it's not all that cold up here in August, so if you decide to wear wool, you should probably use light-weight stuff. I generally advise my clients to bring synthetic fleece clothing during spring and fall hunts. It dries really quick, retains heat really well, and it usually has some wind-blocking capability, if not an outright wind-stopper effect. Synthetic fleece is definitely the way to go, in my opinion.

OP
justinspicher
Thanks for the replies, I have a puffy and a rain jacket that I was planning on taking, figured some insight from other folks would be handy.

kscowboy01

Lil-Rokslider
I'd opt more for something with Primaloft. It's lighter and condenses for tighter, better packing. Like wool, it will preform when wet.

I love wool but there's a reason these synthetics were invented.

duchntr

WKR
Too heavy and not needed. I find on the early season sheep hunts 90% of the time I'm wearing my base layer by itself or with a wind jacket over my base. Good luck on your sheep hunt, it'll be opening day real soon!

Ace12

Lil-Rokslider
Never hunted Alaska but I would hate to carry my wool up mountains. Still has its place hunting whitetails at home though

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
I'm another Alaskan saying no to the wool jacket. I run a synthetic or light wool t-shirt, 200 gram merino long sleeve, and a 1/4 zip medium weight fleece or merino top layer. Finish it off with a primaloft puffy and rain jacket.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I’m old enough that my mountain hunting and sheep hunting started before all of the wonderful technical gear we have today. 100 years ago wool was the best option; today it is absolutely not. I would not ever buy a wool outer layer to hunt in the mountains for any reason today.

I'll back up Steve O's comments.

I've done some pretty hard hunts in NWT, BC and the Yukon while wearing GOOD wool as my outer layer. I'm talking KOM and Sleeping Indian brands. The things I liked least about wool were 1) it dries very slowly, 2) it retains smoke and certain other odors, and 3) it is not even close to windproof above 5 mph. Then there's the issues of weight and bulk if you need to shed a layer and stuff it in a pack.

I'm not saying wool isn't a good fabric, because it definitely is. Advancements in modern fabrics have largely pushed heavy wool hunting clothes to the back shelf when it comes to packing light and traveling far. Wool is still superb for a number of hunters and hunting situations such as local deer, bears, and so on.

Trial153

WKR
Seems like a bad idea to me. With so many better choices I guess my question is why? I don’t see any upside to wool except for Merino base layers in some applications.

I still use wool pants for hunting in Alaska. I haven' t found anything better after 49 years of hunting here.
Lots of use in Yakutat area, more rain than anywhere else in the State (200 inches a year).

My favorites are Filson whipcord, or King of the Mountain, depending on when and where in the State.
Might be a case of being set in my ways, however I have NEVER been uncomfortable in wool to the point
of seeking something better. It is very durable, quiet, warm, etc.

I should ad that this is in reference to pants specifically, not insulating upper layers. I should have read the original
post a little more carefully!!

Bob

Last edited:

mcndrew

FNG
I do the opposite. Thinnest possible wool shirt as a base layer. I believe all the natural fiber benefit hype, and think those benefits are maximized against your skin (and synthetics next to my skin eventually irritate it). From there out though, synthetics are hard to beat regarding weight, durability, pack-ability, and mobility.

Synthetic puffy can save your bacon. . . . . .

Typically I,ll run a super thin wool (or anything but cotton) base, then if that's a little cool i,ll add one of the really thin windbreakers and add or subtract layers over that. You can sweat out the base layer, but the wind jacket keeps you from instant chill and your body heat will usually push the moisture out of a thin layer relatively quickly.

When I know i,m going to be kinda damp ALL the time i,ll often use a second wool layer, some nice fluffy (warm, light, quickly shredded) lambs wool item Ive found in a thrift shop. I do use wool care specific lanolin containing washes for my wool and even add a little extra lanolin. In my experience this helps wool retain less water, dry faster, and be warmer than the synthetic fleeces.

Wool IS very nice for trudging around and being cozy :) It does work.