Montana Unlimited

I'm thinking of doing the unlimited sheep hunt in Montana next year instead of early season elk. How was the quota work? Do you have to call right before you shoot? I know you have 48 hours to report...what if there are 3-4 rams taken within that 48 hours before anyone calls in to report kill.
Any information on this is appreciated.

mtnkid85

WKR
You have to call in after you have harvested. Once the quota is reached the season closes 24hrs afterwards. It is your responsibility to check in daily. There is a hotline which you can call and it is broadcast over am radio. Occasionally there might be one extra ram taken, but more often the quotas aren’t met.

amp713

WKR
Not trying to be a dick but if you are asking that question you may wanna research that alot more. A high percent of people who pay for the tag dont even make it a few days into the hunt because they jumped in way over their heads. Alot of info is out there I'd take some time to look at it all and get a good understanding

OP
C
Not trying to be a dick but if you are asking that question you may wanna research that alot more. A high percent of people who pay for the tag dont even make it a few days into the hunt because they jumped in way over their heads. Alot of info is out there I'd take some time to look at it all and get a good understanding

Thanks for the heads up. I'm a pretty avid backcountry hunter with years under my belt. i know the risk...i know the area and what challenges it presents. I just didn't know how the quota hotline worked or if you had to call before a shot was taken.

Trial153

WKR
Have someone check daily or better yet twice a day and text you via inreach.
Slim odds, tough country, few ( if any) legal rams and an expensive tag. But its a sheep tag and where there is a sheep tag there is hope, sunshine, rainbows and unicorns.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I’m pretty sure the Montana sheep tag is the lowest priced non resident sheep tag in existence...

That’s a tough, tough hunt. Not only do you have the quota to worry about, I believe you also have to have the ram checked in at fish and game within 48 hour of harvest. I couldn’t do it; good luck.

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
Done it a few times. It is not an "enjoyable" hunt, especially with the early snow storms the past couple of years. Access in most units is not like you're high county mule deer hunts in WY or CO. No trails, deadfall, boulders, cliffs, dog hair regrowth from old fires, terrain too treacherous to change basins - and then add wet snow to a 4,000 ft climb.... to not see any sheep or game.

You've probably already done this but Google "Jack Atcheson, Jr Montana Unlimited" “Duncan Gilchrist” “kifaru forums” “outdoor life” "Eastman's Hunting Journal" and there's even a thread on Rokslide from 2014 about the MT Unlimited Units. The "Montana Outdoors Radio" website has a couple articles in their archives.
The previously discontinued (2014) quarterly print version of Montana Sporting Journal had an article on the MT Unlimited units by Montana native/writer/backcountry hunter, hiker, fisherman Matt Wemple w/ very detailed daily logs from Day 1-6, and if you Google it you can review/print off the daily logs...very informative on gear, the unforgiving weather and terrain, the MT Game & Fish system for tags/reporting, etc.
The Huntin Fool staff member Robert Hanneman, in April 2013 did an in-depth multi-page article also-he's spent 70-plus days in the Unlimited Units w/ his own tags and accompanying friends. A very detailed and "this ain't a hunt for couch potatoes" article.
The Duncan Gilchrist references will be OLD but he was the pioneer of videos and judging...he was a walking encyclopedia of MT Bighorns. You may be able to still find some of his DVD's somewhere online-his widow had still been selling DVD's back in 2009 when I had the Oregon non-resident RMBS tag...haven't checked since I ordered a collection then. Best of luck and it sounds like you know to have legs of steel and keep one eye open for grizzly for that country.
DWD

I did it in 2013, 14, and 16. Unless things have changed, as I recall the unit closes 48 hours after the second ram is shot, you have 24 hours to report your kill and a total of 48 hours to check it in. It would be impossible (except with sat phone) to call right before you pull the trigger. Where I was I could only get reception at the top of 2 of the peaks that were in my area, and it wasn't good reception. I wasted the weight and space taking a radio each time but never was able to pick up am signal back in there. The way I kept up with the quota was by showing a designated person where to look up the quota info online and they texted my inreach at the end of each day.

I’m pretty sure the Montana sheep tag is the lowest priced non resident sheep tag in existence...

You're probably right about MT having the cheapest non-res tag, but in my opinion, the unlimited tag should be at a discounted rate from the regular tags. You're not getting a hunt with even a fraction of the same odds of success as a limited tag, and season can close within 3 days of opening. Just my opinion though.

OP
C
You're probably right about MT having the cheapest non-res tag, but in my opinion, the unlimited tag should be at a discounted rate from the regular tags. You're not getting a hunt with even a fraction of the same odds of success as a limited tag, and season can close within 3 days of opening. Just my opinion though.

I was thinking the same thing. It's already a cheap hunt, but with the quota being able to end at any given time and the likely hood of filling tags. I think a reduced priced would be beneficial. Unless they start seeing more sheep in these areas, which would be awesome.

Does anyone know how the herds been doing? I know the stillwater herd is one of the larger herds in the unlimited area. Id be interested to see how they've evolved over the last 15-20 years in these unlimited units do to conservation. I know some of units you wont see any until october from summering in YNP and finally coming down. Unless the weather gets bad, you can see 0 sheep for weeks.

Trial153

WKR
How cheap is it if you realisticly need to by 5 tags to get a glimpse at a legal ram

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I think you boys trying to make this a cheap way to get a bighorn are dilusional. Sheep hunting is hard. Hunting sheep in the unlimited units in MT is the hardest hunt in North America. You are not just going to stroll in cold and see a ram, much less kill one. There is a reason (many) this is an UNLIMITED tag. The LEAST of your worries is the quota being met!

I spent a month hunting bighorns in Colorado with my recurve a few years ago. I have a boatload of MT sheep points; when my kids are done with college in a few years I’m going to cash them in on a ewe tag I a nice “easy” unit; there is no way I can pull off an unlimited hunt as a NR, just based off of prior sheep hunts.

Just trying to be the voice of reason. If you do go for it I wish you the best of luck!

Steve you may be taking my comments wrong, I'm not trying to make it a cheap way to get a bighorn, I just think the price should more accurately reflect the odds of having anything more than a camping trip. The first 2 years I went, the tag was cheaper than MT elk tags, which in one way doesn't seem right, but the fact of the matter is you have a LOT better chance at filling an elk tag than a unlimited sheep. And if you request the harvest stats from the regional biologists, you'll see the quota gets hit plenty often, so everyone going in there better take the quota dang serious. (You've gotta keep in mind that guides will scout it and take you in there as well. I'm sure that affects when the quota gets hit some years.)

Wapiti1

WKR
You get fined and don't get to keep your sheep. Being slow isn't the FWP's problem.

You don't need the whole sheep to check in. Just the head/cape. You strap the head to your pack, grab your truck keys, leave everything else where it is and haul ass to the nearest FWP station. Go back for the meat and camp.

Jeremy