Flying and gear

Wapiti1

WKR
Kind of. I carry a credit card with enough space to replace it. Never had to use it.

I have friends that hunted in Walmart gear for a couple of days before their bags arrived.

Jeremy

Trial153

WKR
Every single flight I worry. That said I haven’t lost anything yet for a substantial amount of time.

Maverick940

Banned
Every single flight I worry. That said I haven’t lost anything yet for a substantial amount of time.

Yeah, the airlines are really good. None of my clients have ever lost anything and I've never lost anything. On rare, rare occasions, there's been slight couple-hours or few-hours delays, but nothing ever permanently lost. The airlines are pretty darn good at keeping track of stuff and if it is temporarily misplaced, the airlines are quick about rectifying it. So, I don't ever worry about it. It's pointless to worry, unless you're the type of person who must have something to worry about (lol). Some people are like that.

OP
justinspicher
I’ve never hunted out of state before where I had to fly so it was never an issue. I leave Sunday for Alaska and I’m concerned about checking all of my gear, but I guess I really don’t have a choice.

Maverick940

Banned
I’ve never hunted out of state before where I had to fly so it was never an issue. I leave Sunday for Alaska and I’m concerned about checking all of my gear, but I guess I really don’t have a choice.

It's a non-issue. Stop worrying. You're fine.

LateRiser

FNG
You could always use a luggage shipping company.

It makes flying without your gear an amazing experience. It's not cheap, but it's less expensive then doing it yourself. They will pick up your gear a few days before you leave. When you arrive at your destination (if you're using an outfitter have it sent to them) your gear is there. When you leave, you just stick the shipping labels they provide on your bags and leave them. They will be picked up and arrive back at your house a few days later.

Not for everyone, but not having to check anything and not worrying about the airlines losing it is worth it to some. And with current checked bag fees, it's not much more expensive.

Full disclosure - good friends of mine started and own Luggage Forward, which is one of the primary companies doing this.

Only time I ever flew with gear it was a direct flight from BWI to Houston so I didn't worry about it. I have had friends that ship gear ahead of time and have it waiting for them, it's a good option.

Good luck on your trip !

OP
justinspicher
Thanks for the replies, im gonna check a bag and be done with it. Worst case is I hunt with Walmart goods and have one epic ass story.

Bambistew

WKR
No, but I did have my rifle take a ride without me. Set me back a day when I finally got it back.

I've had bags fail to show up probably 1 in 20 times I fly, but they find them and get them to me the next day or so.