Another Barbary Sheep Thread

bdoug93

FNG
Hi all,

First post here so I apologize if I do anything wrong. I am going to chase the poor man's sheep this year for the first time, and I wanted to run my thoughts by you guys, to see if you could offer any tips. I have never hunted NM, and I am still getting the hang of this internet scouting thing. I have read everything I can find on the internet so far, but hopefully you guys can shed some light on some questions I still have.
I plan on getting the OTC tag and hunting late January to the end of the season, in 5-6 day trips, as many times as the ol' lady will let me head out (from KS). I plan on backpacking/camping solo, and staying mobile. I am conflicted on which unit I should check out. Based on terrain, the OTC of Unit 34 looks like great sheep country, but I am worried that since the other half of the unit is draw, that is going to be where the sheep really are. So, my other thought was to do the OTC units around the draw units, and take advantage of hopefully a similar sheep range. For example, hunt the bordering public land in 31, 33, and 38. However, looking at topo maps, these areas don't seem to have near the number of cliffs and mountains as 34. So there is where my conflict lies. Can anyone help clear this up for me? Am I thinking about this right? Not looking for anyone's spot, but maybe someone can let me know if I am way off.

Thanks for any helps/tips, I am excited to be apart of this community.

Fatcamp

WKR
I know dick about sheep hunting, but that is how to ask a question when new to a forum.

I didn't even know they had OTC sheep tags. Good luck.

FlyGuy

WKR
I'm not going to be much help, never chased them out there and I don't know those units at all. I've only done it once and it was on a TX (low fence) ranch.

I hunted them in February, so post rut like you. It is a much tougher time to kill a big ram. The ewes are all grouped up with kids and a few juvenile rams. We mostly found those up high in very large groups (12-60+). They were always up high in the typical rough sheepy looking places. It seemed their comfort zone was ~ 600 yards.

But, the big shooter Rams were bachelored up in small groups of 3 - 7. The big problem with that time of year is that one small batchelor group might contain 100% of the mature rams for that entire area, so if you can't find that one group then it's a long day.

Aoudad have incredible vision, and they are naturally wary critters. Mature Aoudad are extremely wary, and a single group of 3 mature Aoudad rams are like eff'ing ghosts. These small bachelor groups had few discernable patterns and were extremely hard to locate. The few times we did put eyes on them we they seemed to be staying far away from the large groups of females and young (aka-lion bait). We mostly saw them in the places where we weren't even looking for them - Down low in the flat/rolling stuff. So, I wouldn't rule out those units with non-sheepy looking areas for the timeframe you will be there.

I would highly recommend high quality 15x56 binos on a solid tripod and a good a good spotter. After this hunt I ended up spending $5k plus upgrading my optics system. These things are hard to spot for a newb, even when there are 30 of them just feeding along and not even trying to hide.

(Also, where we were water was scarce. If you are packing in make sure you know where water is.)
e45baac31f7f326653fe13456042e95b.jpg
ca8f93aae67b1a1de90e0b2e4e61f435.jpg
ed9875ccfec23d57b635f3842d7d4396.jpg

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

teamvit

Lil-Rokslider
Just moved away but I have done the OTC for a few years . While there may be sheep in 31, 33, 38 it is not the same terrain as the draw units, more like antelope country. The OTC area in 34 does hold sheep.

FlyGuy is spot on with with the best glass you can get your hands on. 15s on a tripod is a requirement.

OP
B

bdoug93

FNG
Thanks for the info guys. FlyGuy, I had the same concern about the time of year, but unfortunately I won't be able to make it out this fall. Hopefully this isn't my only time trying for these sheep, and maybe next year I can do the fall. I was planning on running 10x with a spotting scope, but I will definitely look into 15x. Water is definitely a concern of mine, and I plan on looking at that hard once I pick an area. I realize it will be most of my weight, and plan on bringing stoveless food, to not waste water. I'll keep a large stash in my car too, so worst case I have to hike back out for water. Thanks for the tip, teamvit, 34 seems to be the right area to me too.

They are unbelievably hard to spot. I definitely third you taking the very best glass you can. I don’t know anything about NM but I went in Feb for free range in Texas. Flyguy is really spot on. Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

bdoug93

FNG
Yep, that's what I keep hearing/reading. Unfortunately, I have more time than money right now, but I plan on getting the best I can.

teamvit

Lil-Rokslider
They are hard to find, And often times you are glassing at some serious distance.

There are springs and drinkers in the 34 OTC area but it is not that big so spiking out isn't that necessary. Let me know if you have any specific questions

OP
B

bdoug93

FNG
They are hard to find, And often times you are glassing at some serious distance.

There are springs and drinkers in the 34 OTC area but it is not that big so spiking out isn't that necessary. Let me know if you have any specific questions

Thanks teamvit, I will do some more research, and may be PM'ing you with some more specific questions. Thanks!

I haven't hunted them, but I know a little about the area(34 OTC). I wouldn't plan on spiking out for days at a time either. I could definitely see an over-nighter, but that would be about it. And it will probably be a cold mofo at night on the rim in 34. Whenever I decide to go cliff hanging after those things, I'll plan on day hunting, but be prepared for a night out if necessary. Be careful...those sheep live in some very nasty crap over there.

OP
B

bdoug93

FNG
I haven't hunted them, but I know a little about the area(34 OTC). I wouldn't plan on spiking out for days at a time either. I could definitely see an over-nighter, but that would be about it. And it will probably be a cold mofo at night on the rim in 34. Whenever I decide to go cliff hanging after those things, I'll plan on day hunting, but be prepared for a night out if necessary. Be careful...those sheep live in some very nasty crap over there.

Thanks for the advice! Why do you say not spiking out? Do you mean you don't need to, in order to cover the areas? For me, I don't see the alternative, as I don't want to be hiking out every day from a base camp, I would prefer to stay in the habitat. Maybe I am looking at it wrong. Do you know if forest RD 90 will be drivable that time of year?

Kimbersig

WKR
Thanks for the advice! Why do you say not spiking out? Do you mean you don't need to, in order to cover the areas? For me, I don't see the alternative, as I don't want to be hiking out every day from a base camp, I would prefer to stay in the habitat. Maybe I am looking at it wrong. Do you know if forest RD 90 will be drivable that time of year?

I grew up in Alamo. that road is going to be open year round. they rarely get snow that lasts longer than a day or two there. spiking out would suck cause there is no water to speak of so you would have to carry it all with you. I'd start from the bottom and glass a bunch from the bottoms and just day hike different drainages till you find them then move camp or spike out if they are too far from the bottom or too far from the top road. 15x isn't a requirement. a good 10x on a tripod will do just fine and a good spotter. I think when I killed my best I was running meopta binos and a leupold spotter.

OP
B

bdoug93

FNG
I grew up in Alamo. that road is going to be open year round. they rarely get snow that lasts longer than a day or two there. spiking out would suck cause there is no water to speak of so you would have to carry it all with you. I'd start from the bottom and glass a bunch from the bottoms and just day hike different drainages till you find them then move camp or spike out if they are too far from the bottom or too far from the top road. 15x isn't a requirement. a good 10x on a tripod will do just fine and a good spotter. I think when I killed my best I was running meopta binos and a leupold spotter.

Great advice! Thank you! I’ll do just that

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but i'm planning the same thing but DIY in Van Horn area next year. It would be mid-october so middle of the rut. I've never hunted these guys so not sure how they act that time of year, i'm hoping/assuming they'll be more mobile and possibly easier to spot during this time. If anyone has some shared knowledge that would be killer.

FlyGuy

WKR
I don't mean to hijack your thread, but i'm planning the same thing but DIY in Van Horn area next year. It would be mid-october so middle of the rut. I've never hunted these guys so not sure how they act that time of year, i'm hoping/assuming they'll be more mobile and possibly easier to spot during this time. If anyone has some shared knowledge that would be killer.
The larger herds of females and kids are much easier to spot. During the rut there will be a big Ram or two lurking around each of these big groups, so they are much easier to find during that time of year too.

The larger herds of females and kids are much easier to spot. During the rut there will be a big Ram or two lurking around each of these big groups, so they are much easier to find during that time of year too.

That's how I was thinking too but I wasn't sure. Thanks for the info.

Hoping to draw for 2020 January. I'm trying to figure out the OTC line. What it says on the website of NMGF, its from Cloudcroft down to Timberon. Is this correct...everything west of that is OTC?