Unlimited Sheep Optics

Weight being a big consideration when looking at 8+ days in the Unlimited Districts, just curious what kind of optics guys are carrying back there and what gear/weight sacrifices you would make in order to carry certain optics. Thanks in advance.

MtGomer

WKR
I bring a swaro 20-60x80 HD

Scope is a very important piece of equipment up there. I would look elsewhere as a place to sacrifice weight.

amp713

WKR
Personally haven't gone but plan to soon. I don't plan to skimp on optics at all. In a hunt where it is super hard to find a ram as they are timber rams and you have to be legal id find other places to cut weight......

OP
trouthunter1106
Thanks for the info. I know I could save a pound or so on my shelter and probably another pound or two here or there but honestly if it’s just a matter of getting my legs a bit stronger over the next few weeks to carry the scope then so be it. Now I just need to finance it.

ljalberta

WKR
On a planned 11 day solo hunt (only took 9) last year and on a 14 day backpack bighorn hunt this year I'm bringing a Nikon ED50. It's extremely light and packable. However, it certainly leaves me wanting more, and once I can purchase an alpha 65 or 85 spotter, i would have no problem lugging the extra weight for what you gain!

Snyd

WKR
...and don't skimp on the tripod! an unstable, bouncy scope is crap!

OP
trouthunter1106
The transmissions on my truck gave up on me last week along with my spotting scope funds, so my question is does anyone know of or have any experience with an optics rental program? I know there a tons to chose from for camera lenses and have heard there are some for spotting scope but just looking for a recommendation or an idea of what to do in a pinch. Thanks in advance.

MtGomer

WKR
The first time I did this Hunt I used Optics4rent.com. They were great. It’s also a great spot to buy high-end optics that look brand new. They sell the old for new inventory every now and then.. It is where I got my ELs

sodak

FNG
I’m doing one of the unlimited areas this fall. Swarovski 80mm. Figured that glassing will be my primary activity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joemulkey

FNG
I just go back from a big horn hunt and I ran the vortex 18x56s and I’m sold on them. Only time the scope came out of the pack was to judge a ram. You don’t get the eye fatigue like you do with a scope. Only time the 10x42s were used was during the stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

recurveman

Lil-Rokslider
So I've never been sheep hunting in the unlimiteds and was trying to decide if I need a spotting scope or not........I was talking to the wildlife biologist and told him I was concerned about the weight and didn't know if I should bring a scope or not. He said "if I was worried about weight I should leave my rifle home and bring the scope........ya probably won't need the rifle anyways." He was just about laughing when he got done with his comment.......I was too.....but not really.

skierhs

WKR
So I've never been sheep hunting in the unlimiteds and was trying to decide if I need a spotting scope or not........I was talking to the wildlife biologist and told him I was concerned about the weight and didn't know if I should bring a scope or not. He said "if I was worried about weight I should leave my rifle home and bring the scope........ya probably won't need the rifle anyways." He was just about laughing when he got done with his comment.......I was too.....but not really.
It’s true though, most people that hunt those units never see any sheep let alone a legal ram. I use a 95mm and 10x for hunting and then I carry a 15x slc as well for scouting.

OP
trouthunter1106

They’re definitely in there though. There was one ram killed in my unit while I was in there and within three days of being out of the unit the second ram was killed and the quota was filled. Me and my hunting partner found sheep, just nothing legal. I ended up taking some of the 12x56 Mavens and while that’s what I first spotted the sheep with, I think a pair of 10x42’s would have been just fine and saved a lot of weight.

Foot injury has me out of the hunt this year but I’ll definitely be back next year.