First AK Dall Sheep Hunt

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
Heading in today on my first AK Dall sheep hunt. This will be a solo endeavor. I want to thank SLDMTN, Luke, Steve and everyone else that has taken the time to pass on their knowledge, time and experience to me. With any luck I will get a chance at a legal ram. Just the satisfaction of going in and attempting will be reward enough. Hope to have a story to share upon my return.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Heading in today on my first AK Dall sheep hunt. This will be a solo endeavor. I want to thank SLDMTN, Luke, Steve and everyone else that has taken the time to pass on their knowledge, time and experience to me. With any luck I will get a chance at a legal ram. Just the satisfaction of going in and attempting will be reward enough. Hope to have a story to share upon my return.
Good luck and I'm looking forward to hearing all about this adventure when you return.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

RCL

WKR
Best of luck on the hunt and a safe return.
Hope you will share details of the adventure.

OP
Fjelljeger

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
Humble Pie! Plans have changed. It turned into a 3 day hike/camp/route finding trip. Lots of lessons learned and gear checked. Some worked great others not so much and carried in way too much weight for my fitness level. The hunt was with a harvest ticket so no lost tag and can still try later. Regrouping/refitting for my draw caribou tag so will be headed out on that in a day or so. Thank you all for the prior posts of encouragement. Not going to lie, feels crappy starting a thread about high adventure just for it to deflate into a mound of poo. As always, good luck to everyone that is or will be hunting.

I wish more people would be as honest as you. Everyone likes to share victories, not so many about the let downs!

BRWNBR

WKR
Man don’t sweat it! Before the internet that was how we all learned to Sheep hunt!! Trial and error. Usually heavy on the error part. Lol
I did one solo trip once, loaded my pack. Got into the mountians and then realized I had no room for a sheep in my pack. To much gear and it was gonna be another 10-15 miles of brush till I got to where Sheep started. I slept in my bed at home that night! Lol

OP
Fjelljeger

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
Man don’t sweat it! Before the internet that was how we all learned to Sheep hunt!! Trial and error. Usually heavy on the error part. Lol
I did one solo trip once, loaded my pack. Got into the mountians and then realized I had no room for a sheep in my pack. To much gear and it was gonna be another 10-15 miles of brush till I got to where Sheep started. I slept in my bed at home that night! Lol
That sounds very familiar! HaHa

BRWNBR

WKR
Lol you are not alone!

I’ve even had clients show up and quit in the first two days! Can you imagine going home and facing your friends after that!!

Snyd

WKR
Hey, if it was easy everyone would do it! Chalk it up to experience and get ready for the next one!

OP
Fjelljeger

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
First, my pack was over weight for me, 80lbs, that’s including everything.
Second, was using my phone as a gps but the otter box didn’t allow me to operate the screen or even unlock my phone once it was wet.
Third, with my pack stuffed the way it was there would have been no room for game meat.
The route in was overgrown and blow down where in many places I was crawling on my hands and knees to get under them as there was no going over or around. Nothing that would have been too bad except for the 80lb pack.
Plus my calves were spasaming something fierce. Actually took a video of it....looked like gremlins about to morph! They never stopped for 3 days. So it was a combination of factors plus going solo in an area I had never been with weather that was less than ideal. I had made a deal with my family and friends/coworkers that I would not take any unneeded risks as this was a “fun hunt” and not a mission.
As I type all this it reads like a bunch of excuses, which they are.....the lessons learned however are real.

Big Nasty

Lil-Rokslider
I had a Quad muscle cramp one time and was one of the most painful thing I've had, I drank a pile of water but that wasn't the issue it was lack of Sodium in my body, I have taken salt pills/electrolytes replacement religiously now and haven't had that issue since. Might help your spasming. 80lbs is a pile of weight, every yr I go i get lighter and lighter because things are more enjoyable that way plus I'm getting older. There's many items I'd like to bring but not willing to carry it, I'm at 60lbs with everything (water,food,gun) for 8 days and still want to get lighter.......You'll only be stronger and smarter next time out, Keep at it, better then the couch you'll never forget those days lol

OFFHNTN

WKR
First, my pack was over weight for me, 80lbs, that’s including everything.
Second, was using my phone as a gps but the otter box didn’t allow me to operate the screen or even unlock my phone once it was wet.
Third, with my pack stuffed the way it was there would have been no room for game meat.
The route in was overgrown and blow down where in many places I was crawling on my hands and knees to get under them as there was no going over or around. Nothing that would have been too bad except for the 80lb pack.
Plus my calves were spasaming something fierce. Actually took a video of it....looked like gremlins about to morph! They never stopped for 3 days. So it was a combination of factors plus going solo in an area I had never been with weather that was less than ideal. I had made a deal with my family and friends/coworkers that I would not take any unneeded risks as this was a “fun hunt” and not a mission.
As I type all this it reads like a bunch of excuses, which they are.....the lessons learned however are real.

Great attitude! Live and learn!