Artic Red Dall Sheep - Jay Scott

wapitibob

WKR
Google..

"SFW owns two hunting concessions in the Northwest Territories and British Columbia, Arctic Red River Outfitters and Full Curl Stone, respectively. Both concessions were 100% acquired through targeted donations by a very generous and longtime SFW supporter. The purpose in these areas being donated to SFW was to generate annual profits to support Utah’s conservation mission and to provide numerous world-class hunts in both auctions and drawings at the Hunt Expo. Additionally, we have annually provided a few of these hunts to some very deserving veterans. Furthermore, these sheep units are run independently of SFW’s Utah conservation operations."

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
:eek: dealin’ with the devil there...not a chance I would go on a free hunt with those outfits. That is scary.

wapitibob

WKR
Their mantra is that taking public draw tags from the pool and selling them at auction is a sacrifice "you and I" need to make to ensure hunting has a future, by using a percentage of those auction funds on habitat. Never mind they're approaching 100 million and yet their Deer herds are in the shitter. A majority of the UDWR Board is made up of former SFW personnel but don't worry, there's nothing going on there. A Board that annually approves hundreds of thousands to SFW's former lawyer who had a epiphany one night and started Big Game Forever, correctly guessing that he could convince hunters across the country to donate money to combat Wolf reintroduction while actually doing nothing but glad handing, sending out mass emails, and taking credit for things he actually worked against, such as the Simpson-Tester Ryder that enabled Idaho and Montana to start hunting Wolves.

Google "sfw arizona tag" "SFW wolf NRA" "sfw RMEF" "bgf udwr audit" for a host of information.

Last edited:
Their mantra is that taking public draw tags from the pool and selling them at auction is a sacrifice "you and I" need to make to ensure hunting has a future, by using a percentage of those auction funds on habitat. Never mind they're approaching 100 million and yet their Deer herds are in the shitter. A majority of the UDWR Board is made up of former SFW personnel but don't worry, there's nothing going on there. A Board that annually approves hundreds of thousands to SFW's former lawyer who had a epiphany one night and started Big Game Forever, correctly guessing that he could convince hunters across the country to donate money to combat Wolf reintroduction while actually doing nothing but glad handing, sending out mass emails, and taking credit for things he actually worked against, such as the Simpson-Tester Ryder that enabled Idaho and Montana to start hunting Wolves.

Google "sfw arizona tag" "SFW wolf NRA" "sfw RMEF" "bgf udwr audit" for a host of information.

Those google searches are guaranteed to lead to anger and some long threads on Hunttalk.

No thanks on Artic Red.

Trial153

WKR
SFW is basicly the antithesis of public land hunting and what many think of as the North American model of conservation is. Unfortunately they have successfully keyed on our consumerism.
We are our own worst enemies.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Could someone please explain why SFW is a red flag? I googled them but don't know the backstory.

SWF red flags for me:

1. Stole a massive amount of non resident tags to raffle off at the Utah Sportsman Expo. You must be present to win in this raffle, leaving the tags for residents and wealthy non residents who can attend the show.

2. Somehow kept the management of said show after RMEF put in a much better and more profitable offer (on paper...) to run the show. The “off paper” money must be SUPER...

SWF’s goal is to privatize Utah and then the rest of the the western state will follow like sheep. Thank God for Arizona and their constant rebuttal of the SWF communists. They keep trying, and now have a shadow organization up and going in AZ with a beloved old sheep guide as the figure head. Hopefully the sportsman of AZ can see thru the sham.

stagliano

FNG
Thanks for the replies. Based on these descriptions, it sounds like they have expanded the limited use of "governors" or auction tags in Utah and are attempting to spread outward to other western states thus limited the available tags for individuals who participate in the draw systems. Correct?

Now they have a for-profit outfitter under their umbrella?!

C Bow

WKR
Wow I have a friend that was about to drop a huge amount of money on a sheep hunt and now is rethinking it and exploring his options because of this thread

Kind of unrelated, but I can’t stand Jay Scott. Just something about him. Sometimes it’s worth it for his guest, but that dude is just unappealing.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
It wasn't my intention for this thread to go down this path but I did learn something about SFW and Artic Red I wasn't aware of.

On the Jay Scott front I have to jump in. I realize we all have our own opinions, but his podcast has helped me get up to speed on Arizona hunting more than anything else. I was fortunate enough to draw a unit 10 late tag and reached out to him for outfitter recommendations. He went as far to send me his phone number and go over the outfitters I had it narrowed down to and offered up his reasons for his suggestions.

I'm not sure any of the other "Internet Famous" guys would have gone as far as spending 20 minutes on the phone with me to help me though my decision.

stagliano

FNG
It wasn't my intention for this thread to go down this path but I did learn something about SFW and Artic Red I wasn't aware of.

On the Jay Scott front I have to jump in. I realize we all have our own opinions, but his podcast has helped me get up to speed on Arizona hunting more than anything else. I was fortunate enough to draw a unit 10 late tag and reached out to him for outfitter recommendations. He went as far to send me his phone number and go over the outfitters I had it narrowed down to and offered up his reasons for his suggestions.

I'm not sure any of the other "Internet Famous" guys would have gone as far as spending 20 minutes on the phone with me to help me though my decision.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. Glad to hear Jay was so open to helping you.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
Sorry for hijacking the thread. Glad to hear Jay was so open to helping you.

No worries. Just wanted to share my personal experience. There are some podcast guys that aren't for me either.

I was just impressed he offered to talk to me on the phone. Emails are easy in today's world, I'm a little old school and prefer a phone call and enjoyed our conversation.

I would do the same thing again next time I draw a tag in AZ.