District 680, Breaks sheep question

deadwolf

WKR
Hey all, if starting now, in applying for this unit, how long would you say it will take to draw and have enough points for this hunt? I am only now branching out into hunting in other states (from Alaska) and kind of clueless as it is quite different from how we apply for hunts here. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not to be negative but plan on never drawing unless your luckier than 1% . Montana is on the system where they square your points and enter you in the draw. So possible to draw without max points but low odds. Also since they no longer require tag fee up front more people will be entering this year

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh I'm sure you noticed by now that all lower 48 sheep have low low non resident odds. You'll never have enough points to be guaranteed a tag but just have to be lucky

Last edited:

PA 5-0

WKR
Assuming that you're talking about Montana Missouri River breaks, 2-3-4 decades. On Your Own Adventures TV did a show on a guy that took 45+ yrs to draw it. Little ridiculous when you think about it. And they gouge you every year on license/fees/etc. Save up and do Alaska or the Yukon so you can enjoy the adventure while you can still hike for real. Or you can spend $300,000 on the Gov Tag any time your free!!

Before deciding on AK Dall, I researched it a good bit. I think Wyoming was the most reasonable to draw for time and money. "reasonable" being a relative term.
Good Luck.

OP
D

deadwolf

WKR
Thanks for the replies guys...I do live in Alaska so I'm able to hunt sheep every year. I've always figured I live in the very best sportman's paradise around and never really considered chasing after any other sheep, but I have changed that mindset recently. I actually was wondering about the license fee as I saw when applying today that it id no longer on there. So there's $750 I can keep in my pocket for a few months, but yes I see how it's going to attract a lot more applicants. Such is life I guess.

I am not opposed to heading to another state for bighorn either, I've just always had a soft spot for Montana as I deer hunt there every year. And of course the Missouri breaks just seems to top the wish list.

Thanks for the replies

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Instead of 5$ and holding the tag fee now you pay 70$ they keep but don't have to front the money. I personally liked the long shot option for 5. You going have to develop a plan to get a tag which may be harder than actually finding one to shoot

Bambistew

WKR
I think MT gave out something like 10 NR ram tags last year 7000 NR applied.

The application fee went from $35 non-refundable to $210 (if applying for M/S/G). I think I'm done with MT, at least moose and goat.

there are a few areas that are 100% draw odds in the southern part of the state... i hear it is one of, if not the hardest hunts in the lower 48. Better than puting in till you are too old to hunt though.

Joe

krossh

Lil-Rokslider
there are a few areas that are 100% draw odds in the southern part of the state... i hear it is one of, if not the hardest hunts in the lower 48. Better than puting in till you are too old to hunt though.

Joe

Squeekie is correct, there are now 3 or 4 units in SW MT that are unlimited. You put in and draw a tag. It works on a quota system. Those are your best oppportunities to hunt bighorn. Now, it's tough terrain. I mean really tough. Also, the population of legal rams there are low. Kurt from Stone Glacier is one of the guys that has tagged out there. He got a nice ram, but he said he hunted around 20 days there and that was the only legal ram he saw. He would be a great source of information if you're looking for a bighorn hunt.

I put in for the missouri breaks and have since i was of age. I'm from the area and there are monster rams. Apparently it's no secret because everyone puts in there. A friend of mine drew a tag there his first year. but the majority of us wait an entire lifetime and never draw.

In conclusion, if you have the time to devote 20+ days in the unlimited area and are experienced in the backcountry I would say go for it. If I could take a month off work, I would be all over it.

OP
D

deadwolf

WKR
Thanks Krossh, it is definitely something I've considered. I have a friend who lives in Rollins where I can visit and then go scouting from there. It would be quite an undertaking being from out of state, not only do I need time off to scout, but also the time off to hunt. Neither are too big of a problem, I can make it happen. I have talked to Kurt before about his packs and his Alaska hunts, but didn't know he had hunted that area before. Any idea how fast or if at all those units have tagged out? You mention having 20 days to hunt it, I guess I always pictured that the quota would fill pretty quick as guys would have already scouted and known where they were gonna find a ram. But then again if it's as tough as you say maybe it takes awhile to hit the quota?

Thanks for the info.

You can look at the success rates on the montana website.... most areas do not ever hit the quota. The quita is typically 1 or 2, and last i looked it had been 3 or 4 years since the quota closed the season.

Joe

dotman

WKR
I'll be hunting the unlimited areas starting in 2016, tons of research and planning needed. Huge country with a very small migratory herd. The outfitters that hunt it yearly have low success rates even.

I'll be hunting the unlimited areas starting in 2016, tons of research and planning needed. Huge country with a very small migratory herd. The outfitters that hunt it yearly have low success rates even.

Dotman, with two years doing it by now, how would you say it's been? Fun? Learning a little?

mt100gr.

WKR
Good granny!! 2014 thread revival!!

The unlimited units in MT are an incredible opportunity to hunt sheep. Hopefully you've gotten a chance to see the country Dotman.

Nick, have you given it a go??

jray5740

Lil-Rokslider
Unfortunately......this tag is years away if ever for me as well. As a NR living in CO I have 9 years worth of applying for this tag, and most likely 30 years left if ever were to draw. The fortunate part for the OP is he can hunt sheep in his home state rather easily, where as in my case, Im 17 years into CO application with no tag in my pocket to show as of yet. Here's to 2018 being the year! HAHA

mt100gr.

WKR
To the OP - 4 years and change later....

A family friend and his wife had a combined total of 64 (+/- according to him) years applying for a breaks ram tag before she finally drew one in 2016. She killed a beautiful 190 class ram.

Her husband recently passed away. A heart condition kept him from enjoying the hunt with her, but I've never seen someone so excited by and proud of another's success. It was really neat.

Breaks rams are second to none - no question. But life is short and the odds are long.

MtGomer

WKR
Montana is a random draw state with bonus points, not preference points. and there are a lot of people with a lot of points.

You could draw it the first year you apply.

It is also totally realistic that you die an old man and never draw.