My 1st NM Big Horn Scouting Trip

CW_12

FNG
I was lucky enough to draw the NM Unit 45 Rocky Mountain Big Horn tag. Below is an account of my first scouting trip in.

On Friday we hit the road and drove the 6 ½ hour drive north to the Pecos Wilderness where my Sheep hunt is. Saturday morning found us headed up the trail head. We had four riding animals (two horses and two mules) and two pack mules.

It did not take long to realize we were in for a real treat. The mountains along with the streams and rivers were near breath taking.
I had never been to the Pecos, so this first of two scouting trips was simple. We were going to try and cover as much country as possible in two days.

Mission Accomplished!!

We covered 36 miles in two days. It was some of the most amazing country I have had the privilege to see in my life. The fresh cool breeze in my face along with the nice stride of being horseback was something that is very hard to put into words. I will attempt to do this feeling justice with pictures but I’m sure I will come up a little short.

On day one we logged 12 miles before seeing our first sheep. That excited emotion of seeing that first sheep was also a very cool experience. The sheep was very and I mean very far away. We could barely tell it was a sheep through a spotting scope. We could tell it was a Ram but that was it.

This first sighting was all the motivation we needed. We marched on and soon found more sheep. We were glassing a Ewe for a few minutes and then moved a couple hundred yards. Then it happened.

When I recollect on what went through my mind all I can think about is how fast my heart began to beat as I look at my first mature Big Horn Ram. He was only 100 yards away. We glassed that Ram for several minutes. Then another Ram entered the picture and they both bedded down.
My buddy said “Chad you plan on trying this with a bow right? Why not see how close you can get” I came in from behind the sheep and was able to crawl within 40 yards of the two sheep. I honestly did not ever want to leave the moment in time. Well, I think I could have at least shot at the Ram.

The game plan now is for me to carry my bow and my buddy will be right behind me with the rifle. If there is any doubt I will make the shot with the rifle. But if for some reason the stars align that day I will let an arrow fly at one of the most majestic animals God created.

We covered more country and ended up seeing 70 Sheep and over 100 elk. At end of the trip we had saw Ewes, Lambs, and even younger Rams.
I will admit it. I even air shot the Ram with my air bow. I made a good shot and he only went 50 yards and piled up!!! Man I hope come August those set of events can come true.

I will post pictures from my phone in just a bit. It is easier for me that way.

The Sheep pics were taken using a Leopold scope and an Iphone 5.

Enjoy.

OP
CW_12

CW_12

FNG
supa4udy.jpg

ryhazune.jpg

su9uzetu.jpg

jubazy4y.jpg

hunter4life

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck. The ram in my picture is a Pecos ram. It sure is beautiful country and is a nice change from SE NM in the summer time.

Buster

WKR
Good luck on your hunt. The excitement is only going to get stronger. Keep us updated on how the scouting and the hunt go.

OP
CW_12

CW_12

FNG
Good luck. The ram in my picture is a Pecos ram. It sure is beautiful country and is a nice change from SE NM in the summer time.

Yes sir it was one of the coolest things I have ever done. When I finish my hunt I will be back for sure for some fishing.

I'm ready for my first trip up there too. How far of a hike is it to get to tree line? I've been thinking real hard about putting in for hunts up there, but I don't want to have to hump 10 miles in on foot one way.

OP
CW_12

CW_12

FNG
I'm ready for my first trip up there too. How far of a hike is it to get to tree line? I've been thinking real hard about putting in for hunts up there, but I don't want to have to hump 10 miles in on foot one way.

I think you could get in there in less than that if you chose the right Trail Head. It took us about 12 miles from where we went in. I think there is a trail head on the east side called Alamitos that would cut that distance down. But then you have to take into account how much that TH winds and is it a climb most of the way etc... Also, I have not been to Alamitos so I don't know much about it.

UPnorth

FNG
Nice pics. I can't believe that you guys live in NM and don't spend time in the Pecos! P1010129 (1024x768).jpg

Shrek

WKR
Anyone have an estimate on the size of those Rams?

I'm not an expert at all but I'm trying to learn so I'll give my guesses and then the experts can tell me just how wrong I am. Closest ram I have as 9 years old and 164 to 167 and the far ram as 8 years old and 155 to 159.

UPnorth

FNG
That's a lot of gas to go up there for one or two nights on a weekend. And gas ain't cheap.

I really wish that Las Cruces was situated more in the middle of the state. It'd suit me a lot better :D

I can relate. If you ever get the chance for a long weekend and can swing the gas, go for it. Nice area.