Montana Unlimited Sheep Outfitters

Shrek

WKR
Jon Boy , you need to post up your profile on Rokslidematch.com or Plentyofpartners.com ;) hahaha ! I don't even dream that I could keep up or I'd scap the elk hunt and go sheep hunting for a month. Actually I do dream...I could arrive three weeks early and scout my butt off and be babysitting a book ram for the opener...in my dreams :( . Reality sucks ! Maybe if I get my act together and move to Cheyenne this spring I'll take a shot at it in '16.

Hoot

WKR
I have family outside of Billings, and a couple old family properties outside of red lodge and nearby, Im not too sure how close to the unlimited areas they are, or if I could even use them for a jumping off point, but I really need to get my butt in gear and start doing my homework, my goal is to try it one time in the next 5 years...

I drove over this past September to check out the area. My plan is to go this next year. Don't know what you don't try.

Jon Boy

WKR
I have family outside of Billings, and a couple old family properties outside of red lodge and nearby, Im not too sure how close to the unlimited areas they are, or if I could even use them for a jumping off point, but I really need to get my butt in gear and start doing my homework, my goal is to try it one time in the next 5 years...

Depending on the properties outside of red lodge, they're likely in one of the unlimited units.

OP
B
Yeah this is true but buyin those tags is a lot of serious money. The wife don't really care if I spent 10-12k but the 35-50k it would take to buy a desert or any of them I don't think she will let that fly. Stones and Dalls are definitely on the near future. Tintive schedule as of now 2017 bighorn then 2022 stone 2027 dall or vise versa. I think I can save enough money every 5 years to go get one. Once I get those three I reckon it's a waitin game on the rest.

willong

FNG
Goats in Unlimited Sheep Units

I think I'm gonna start puttin in for the goat tag as well who knows with a little luck I might draw a goat tag the same year and hunt them both at the same time. Talk about one hell of a trip.

Beef_Slayer, I'd heed what Travis said. On the other hand, if you are FIT and competent in wilderness conditions--make that SEVERE WILDERNESS CONDITIONS--then you might want followup on your notion of hunting goats. Goats are common in the alpine regions of the unlimited sheep units. Of course, there are no unlimited permit opportunities for the goats--you have to draw a tag first. If you manage to draw a goat tag, then hunt the country yourself first. If you still have a taste for it, then you can followup with a guided hunt for sheep (or you may discover that guides and outfitters aren't really necessary). It gives you about three chances in four to save the big expense of an outfitted hunt if you approach it that way.

Some of that sheep country is easily accessible, even by snowmobiles in years when the weather hits early and hard enough to push rams into country where they can be spotted from the Beartooth Highway; and some of that country is not even accessible by horseback. The latter is my notion of sheep hunting. Here are links to some YouTube videos showing climbers taking different routes to Granite Peak (Montana's highest), which is pretty much in the middle of the 500 units. Such videos provide a good overview of the varying nature of the terrain; and the third one even features Mountain goats: Granite Peak SW Approach GoPro Montana - YouTube Granite Peak Speed Solo HD - YouTube Granite Peak, Montana July 2016 - YouTube

Trial153

WKR
If your going unlimited save your money any do it yourself or with a buddy. I don’t think you going to have much better odds with an outfitter in any of those units. If you want pony up money to sheep hunt then you might as well save both the unlimited tag fee and the outfitter cost and put it down in a dall sheep hunt. Even the cheapest hunts in some of the just ok Alaska units will run better odds then a Montana unlimited unit.