Another great Sheep Hunt

Snyd

WKR
This hunt started about 12 years ago, before I was a sheep hunter. A new friend called and asked if I’d be willing to go on a sheep hunt with him, that after 20 years he had finally drawn a coveted Delta Controlled Use Area (DCUA) tag. It was an epic walk-in hunt. 25+ miles one way. He got his ram and I got bit by the sheep hunting bug. I haven’t been the same and have sheep hunted ever since. His ram was the first I packed and ate. There have since been 9 others and I’ve got to lower the boom on 4 of them.

Over the years it never worked out for us to sheep hunt again until last year. On the second stalk on a ram I fell in a steep, rocky chute and dislocated my shoulder. We popped it back in, finished the stalk (no ram) and hunted 4 more days.

We still had the feeling of “unfinished business”…. us hunting together and me pulling the trigger.

It was a typical sheep hunt (if there is such a thing!) 10 days of hot sun, cold temps, high winds, snow, rain, sleet, long valleys, steep passes, rocky ridges, stream crossings, brush busting, heavy packs, long hikes, sore muscles, etc.

We saw 6 griz, 2 wolverines, caribou, 60+ ewes and lambs, 15 rams… one shooter. 8 year old broomer. I guess that means we batted a 1000 :D

P8110031a_zpsdmwckaen.jpg

P8110035b_zpsiapqfzkp.jpg

I found this horn half buried in the rocks 10 ft from where the ram landed in the steep chute. I brought it home.

P8160094_zpsvdrxtdlm.jpg

P8110050_zpskt7vj48w.jpg

Last edited:

PARA1

FNG
Congrats, amazing... I wish I could draw a tag......Thanks for sharing I wish you many more years in steep country. V/R

Jdog

WKR
Well deserved--you have helped many a sheep hunter. Glad to see good fortune and luck come together for you!

RamDreamer

Lil-Rokslider
Living the dream right there! Sounds like a great time and very nice souvenir to find near your downed ram. Congrats on finishing the business.

OP
Snyd

Snyd

WKR
Awesome stuff Synd!!! Very well done sir!!! You use the pistola on it?

Nope, not this trip. Kimber 325 with 200gr Nosler AB Sheep Seeking Missiles :D

But, next year my partner is up first so I'll probably pack a pistol, that is if this 55 yo body can make it another year!