How Old Where You When You Got Your Sheep?

KDF

FNG
I am about to turn 43, and still dream of someday getting a Sheep or 4. Make me feel good or maybe nervous. How old where you when you got your sheep?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoHiCntry

WKR
37... Still hoping to go again someday. 42 now. Seems like I see more older guys getting sheep than younger guys. Probably because they finally have a bazillion points or more money.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
34 in 2002. Started saving for my dream hunt with my first job. Finally realized prices were going up much more rapidly than my salary. Glad I pulled the trigger on a mixed bag hunt in the Yukon when I did as prices have more than doubled again since then. Was lucky enough to draw an archery tag in CO in 2007 and took the entire season off to hunt with my recurve. Did not end up with a ram but still the best hunt of my life. Hopes for the Grand Slam are fading fast but am glad I got in what I did...when I am dribbling my oatmeal from the rocking chair I will still be able to look at that ram.

Don't wait, do it as soon as you can...

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Sadly even growing up in Alaska all my life I never even went on a sheep hunt till 2010. Harvested my first one in 2011. Have seen 9 fall thus far, but only taken two myself.

Last edited:

sbcff15

Lil-Rokslider
11 years old, the first year my dad put me in for desert big horn sheep. It took him about 37 years to finally draw the same tag.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Got my first and only Dall at 26. Been along for three other successful trips, but only one of my own.

I am about to turn 43, and still dream of someday getting a Sheep or 4. Make me feel good or maybe nervous. How old where you when you got your sheep?

I was 42. Bottom line is, you're only as old as you think you are. Or is it, you're only as old as you feel....God I hope not.

I've heard it said that mountain climbers don't peek until their mid to late 30s. Supposedly that's when they're typically in their best physical condition.

mntnguide

WKR
20 years old...Idaho wilderness.. Hardest and most rewarding and frustrating hunt I have done!

wyosteve

WKR
34- Wyo. bighorn (didn't kill), 38- Stone (didn't kill), 40- Wyo. bighorn (killed), 40-Dall in Yukon (killed), 62-Wyo. bighorn (killed). Still can make it up the mountain if I draw another tag! Look at them on the wall every day--great memories.

Broomd

WKR
I've taken several rams in my late 30's early 40's..., All were grueling affairs. My first dall came in 2001 at 37. My Idaho bighorn was in 2009 and I was 45. Drew another rocky tag in '12 but the fires wiped out chances, still bagged a muley. That was at almost 49.

My last successful mountain hunt was in September with a big billy..I was two months shy of 52.
Stay in shape and anything is possible.

Bhollis

FNG
Dall at 40, Stone at 42, hopefully Desert at 47

mwhamm

FNG
First dall as a walk in hunt at 28, seven years latter I can count five to my tally and have helped a friend on three of his four.

Growing up in Alaska, I regret that I didn't start sheep hunting younger. My dad hunted the 'hard park' for sheep back in the day and had moved on from sheep to moose by the time I was a teen. A moose does a better job at feeding a family of seven... Or that was the story he told.