Colorado S33 help please!!! (GMUs 76 and 66)

Vids

WKR
Colorado S33 help please!!! (GMU 66)

So my September just got turned upside down. The DPW emailed me yesterday and said that someone turned in a ewe tag for S33 (code SFS33O1R) and I am next on the list. It was my second choice, so I get to keep my points. No brainer to grab that tag and go hunt, even though it leaves me with only 3 weeks to prepare.

If anyone can share info on sheep in this area that would be highly appreciated! Looks like the best area is in unit 66 near Eureka, coming in from the east up the Lake Fork of the Gunnison. Any info from folks that have elk and deer hunted in there and seen sheep would be great also. All information appreciated, access points, roads to avoid, whatever. I've never stepped foot in the area so I'm going in blind.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm going to be hunting elk in 66 this year, heading up after Labor Day. Going in blind, but have been studying maps like crazy. I'll be close by if you want or need any help with anything. But I've heard cell coverage is weak to non-existent up there.

OP
Vids

Vids

WKR
Thanks 5MilesBack, I appreciate that.

Update: Edited my first post as I realized this tag is only valid for the northern portion of S33.

OP
Vids

Vids

WKR
From the regs manual:
S33
N of Lake Fork
River, Cottonwood Creek,
Cuba Gulch, Minnie Gulch;
W and N of Colo. 110

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Not sure if this is in your area or not, but last summer I drove the Alpine Loop into Silverton with my daughter and we saw several ewes just east of dropping into Silverton. Can't remember how far that was from Silverton.

MesaHorseCo.

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Did you get down there? had a ewe tag in s21, just northwest of you. Got her yesterday, lot of fun. Just wanted to see how you did.

OP
Vids

Vids

WKR
Yeah, I hunted for 8-9 days but the first few got rained out for the most part. Didn't get one, but I passed on a few opportunities where I realize now I should have shot. I wish I had more time to prepare, it turns out determining ewe from yearling ram is easy on my computer, and more difficult when you're out of breath and looking through a shaky scope! I really didn't want to make that mistake though.

It was a lot of fun and a great learning experience for a future ram tag. I would love to try that hunt again now that I have more knowledge.

Congrats on your ewe!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry to hear you were unsuccessful but getting into sheep country is something not many people get to do. Nice that Colorado gives you the option to draw again and doesn't price the ewe tag crazy for residents. Still an expensive bowl of tag soup

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

run2gun

FNG
Did you get down there? had a ewe tag in s21, just northwest of you. Got her yesterday, lot of fun. Just wanted to see how you did.

Highcountry1-I drew this tag and was wondering If you could shoot me a message and I could ask you a few questions? would be much appreciated! Thanks! Your inbox is full :)