I finally drew my poor mans sheep

Well my ram is just over 25 inches and about 6.5 years old. Shot him at about 250yds with a 165gr accubond out of a tc venture 308win. We saw two more rams that were probably as big or bigger than the one I shot while packing out my buddy's two rams, but they made it over the top of the canyon. We didn't hunt the last day because we were physically shot. By the morning of day three both of us couldn't hardly walk let alone hike another 8-10 miles. We hunted hard for two days, and when we left were the only ones to kill rams, and besides two other hunters the only ones to see aoudad. It is an extremely physically demanding hunt, but a blast. I'll be back.

Congrats!!!! Well earned trophy!!!! That country don't play!!

OP
J

JWP58

WKR
32511956201_9c91aa3224_b.jpg

32195782380_97e85b120c_b.jpg

Ram was spotted on the bare face left of the juniper bowl with a few other sheep. He's not a 30 incher, but a sheep would have to live for a long time in that country to get that big. Im happy and he'll be going on my wall.

OP
J

JWP58

WKR
I will close this thread out with my final thoughts, which I've been contemplating for a week.

1. I need better glass. I had this grand idea to buy a Howa Alpine in 6.5creed that's on sale at sportsman's. But after this hunt, my TC 308win worked great. My redfield binoculars did not. I need way better glass. Im a gun guy, so it hurts to say, to hell with buying a new gun...I need new glass. Without my buddy's swaro' spotter and eagle eye, I would've never even seen sheep. I glassed the same cliff for almost an hour and never saw a sheep with my binos.
2. You will never be in "good enough" shape. I have to keep pushing myself and my VO2max.
3. I need to lose weight, in many places. My gut and my pack mainly.
4. Barbary sheep will forever occupy a special place for me. They live and thrive in some of the roughest country I can imagine, and they deserve all the respect in the world.

If anyone has any questions about aoudad and the hunt I drew, feel free to pm me and I'd be more than happy to try and help answer any questions you may have.

Shane

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats! I grew up 25 miles from Palo Duro, and hunting the canyons of the Caprock for mule deer and auodad is special. It's a great hunt, huh?

OP
J

JWP58

WKR
Last post to this thread I swear....

Since I drew my public land aoudad hunt all I ever heard was how disgusting the meat is. All that talk was bullshit. I marinaded a backstrap for two days and then grilled it tonight....fantastic. Better than any deer I've ever eaten, and just below antelope. Ya it had some chew, but it was off of a 6yr old ram. If you are fortunate enough to hunt the great Barbary Sheep do not listen to folks that say your dog won't eat it.

After watching one eat a cactus for about 15 mins before moving on to other browse, I was curious about the flavor, but my curiosity was put to rest.