I finally drew my poor mans sheep

JWP58

WKR
Looks like a buddy and I are going auodad sheep hunting in Texas, on public land. I've been putting in for a couple of years and am kinda shocked we drew. Oh well it will be a good excuse to head home. Although it will impact my late season chukar hunting...

Any advice?

• Banned
OP
J

JWP58

WKR
For anyone that has hunted Barbary sheep, am I crazy if I take my .243? There's no way I'll be shooting at anything over 300yds.

• Banned
OP
J

JWP58

WKR
I'm surprised that you even have to draw for an exotic.

Well I could just pay 7 or 8k and go hunt a private ranch. But tpwd offer a multitude of drawn hunts on public land ranging from gator to javelina to auodad.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've never hunted one but they are near the top of my bucket list. Everything I've heard is they can take a hard lick and keep on trucking. I'd opt for the best and heaviest bullet I could shoot well. Hope you do a hunt recap I'd sure love to follow your hunt. I'll draw new mexico next year (yea right)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

tlowell02

Lil-Rokslider
I shot a pretty big ewe Barbary last year on my public land hunt. Dropped her at 299 yards using my .243, although it was a spine shot.

Which place did you draw?

tlowell02

Lil-Rokslider
Same for me. It was a fun hunt, really rugged country.

They'll probably try to stick you with another hunter unless there was more than one on your application.

• Banned
OP
J

JWP58

WKR
Same for me. It was a fun hunt, really rugged country.

They'll probably try to stick you with another hunter unless there was more than one on your application.

This year they made it a mandatory minimum of two hunters per application.

easttex

Lil-Rokslider
A .243 is adequate if you intend to shoot a ewe. IMO is not adequate for a mature ram that may weigh 300+. I have killed quite a few and seen a whole lot more killed or wounded and I think pound for pound a big aoudad ram is the toughest animal to kill in NA and compares to anything in Africa. Like every thing else, a double lung or heart shot is going to be fatal pretty quick. But anything marginal and you are in for a rodeo.

hunter4life

Lil-Rokslider
I would take something bigger than a .243. It can get the job done, but is not ideal. 30-06, 7mm magnum, .300 magnum would all be good. I used to guide for them here in NM and have killed >60 of them with people over the years. The ewes are much smaller than the rams and .243 would be fine for them.

Doghed

WKR
I drew public land Aoudad here in NM. I'll be carrying a 7RM. Two years ago I helped a friend take a ewe. It was a very steep 440yd. shot with a 7RM and a 160gr. Barnes. Worked great.

chops24

WKR
I would take something bigger than a .243. It can get the job done, but is not ideal. 30-06, 7mm magnum, .300 magnum would all be good. I used to guide for them here in NM and have killed >60 of them with people over the years. The ewes are much smaller than the rams and .243 would be fine for them.

This is pretty accurate, I killed my ram with a .243 but I would consider it a bare minimum caliber and if something larger that will reach out farther is available, use it, if not take the .243 and keep shots under 300.

krohboy

WKR
I shot my Ram with my .243 at 300 yards. Great shot but had to track and ended up putting another round through him at 75 yards. It worked out but in hindsight I should have went with a bigger caliber.

IMG_4889.jpg

Shane

Lil-Rokslider
I've killed them with a .240 Weatherby Mag with 100gr Nosler Partitions going 3,200 fps. But a .243 isn't that. If you have a larger caliber gun, I'd definitely recommend taking the bigger one. They are TOUGH critters.

Killed this one last year on a draw hunt at Devil's River (7mm Rem Mag with 160gr AccuBonds).

Devil%27s%20River%20Aoudad%20Hunt%202016-2213-L.jpg