AK Dall sheep hunt areas

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
I see some misinformation in this thread and some great information.
There's pros and cons to a lot of the outfits mentioned, mine included. Also a tough deal getting solid sheep guide information from Alaska residents. As right now there's a big push to get nonresident sheep hunt opportunities shut down or limited more than they are. I read these threads and see a few posts that say" I hunt there so I'm gonna tell him it's bad so he won't go there". Maybe I'm wrong?
I hear about guys never getting moved by their outfitter with no sheep in the drainage, they don't get moved because one of two things. They have no where to move you because they have other clients already in those places or they never intended to move you. Having guided for a few outfits that did/said this I'm not making this up. This isnexperience talking. I know most
Of the guides mentioned here. They all kill sheep. What you need to decide is what experience your looking for. You could get dropped in a drainage with a legal ram (that's been spotted from the plane) and that's YOUR ram. Over the ridge from you is another camp in the same situation. You could get dropped off with your gear and guide and you head out covering ground on foot checking different drainages with the freedom to move whenever and where ever. You could book with a master guide who flys the cub and hunt with an assistant guide from Vermont. Or you can book with the guide who actually is your guide.
There's so many different situations, everyone kills sheep and everyone has clients that don't kill sheep. You need to select a type of hunt you would have no regrets on IF you are unsuccessful. Going into it just to punch a tag can lead to disappointment and regret,
It's gonna happen to somebody...

Great post. Thank you for the perspective

Kimbersig

WKR
I see some misinformation in this thread and some great information.
There's pros and cons to a lot of the outfits mentioned, mine included. Also a tough deal getting solid sheep guide information from Alaska residents. As right now there's a big push to get nonresident sheep hunt opportunities shut down or limited more than they are. I read these threads and see a few posts that say" I hunt there so I'm gonna tell him it's bad so he won't go there". Maybe I'm wrong?
I hear about guys never getting moved by their outfitter with no sheep in the drainage, they don't get moved because one of two things. They have no where to move you because they have other clients already in those places or they never intended to move you. Having guided for a few outfits that did/said this I'm not making this up. This isnexperience talking. I know most
Of the guides mentioned here. They all kill sheep. What you need to decide is what experience your looking for. You could get dropped in a drainage with a legal ram (that's been spotted from the plane) and that's YOUR ram. Over the ridge from you is another camp in the same situation. You could get dropped off with your gear and guide and you head out covering ground on foot checking different drainages with the freedom to move whenever and where ever. You could book with a master guide who flys the cub and hunt with an assistant guide from Vermont. Or you can book with the guide who actually is your guide.
There's so many different situations, everyone kills sheep and everyone has clients that don't kill sheep. You need to select a type of hunt you would have no regrets on IF you are unsuccessful. Going into it just to punch a tag can lead to disappointment and regret,
It's gonna happen to somebody...

I'd listen to Jake. he's got a great reputation and knows his stuff. his last sentence is the key. remember this is hunting NOT shooting!

Carl

FNG
A little late to the conversation, but don't overlook Dan Montgomery and crew at Alaska Trophy Adventures. Great outfit, and even better sheep. Dan won outfitter of the year at the 2017 sheep show.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Kimbersig

WKR
A little late to the conversation, but don't overlook Dan Montgomery and crew at Alaska Trophy Adventures. Great outfit, and even better sheep. Dan won outfitter of the year at the 2017 sheep show.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

If you can draw the tag Dan is awesome. but drawing the tag is incredibly tough.

Kimbersig

WKR
if anyone is interested in a cancelation sheep hunt for this year my guide that i went with last year, Wayne Kubat with Alaska Remote Guide Service, has one priced at $16,000 which is nearly $4k off the regular price. he has a great area. we saw over 15 rams...for sure 5-6 legal rams just from our one camp!

TEmbry

WKR
Last minute notice, but if anyone is interested in killing their Dall Sheep Alaska is still open borders for accepting new residents... 12 months of higher pay in whatever field you work in and you will be legal to hunt annually for them. :)

I made the move 2 years ago this month and it was the best decision I've made to date. And I'm not even a sheep guy.

OP
jwatts

jwatts

WKR
Last minute notice, but if anyone is interested in killing their Dall Sheep Alaska is still open borders for accepting new residents... 12 months of higher pay in whatever field you work in and you will be legal to hunt annually for them. :)

I made the move 2 years ago this month and it was the best decision I've made to date. And I'm not even a sheep guy.

Don't think I haven't considered it. The money saved in tags and outfitters would offset the moving costs for sure.

VernAK

WKR
Ya should got here 50 years ago!

Even for we residents, hunting is not all that cheap. My annual fly-in moose hunt costs me about $3k just for Supercubs.

Mjm316

Lil-Rokslider

Gonna have to disagree with ya on the wage thing TEmbry, my hourly is less than from where I lived originally but the lack of income tax basically made it even. Aaaand it looks like we might be getting that tax as well 😖

Daniel_M

WKR
Gonna have to disagree with ya on the wage thing TEmbry, my hourly is less than from where I lived originally but the lack of income tax basically made it even. Aaaand it looks like we might be getting that tax as well

Not necessarily. The Senate has already expressed a stone wall against an income tax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
jwatts

jwatts

WKR
Not necessarily. The Senate has already expressed a stone wall against an income tax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it wouldn't take me close to 2 days to get to and from work I would have already moved. I work in the Gulf of Mexico, so flying into and out of New Orleans is a 2 day affair depending on timing of flights.