AK Dall sheep hunt areas

jwatts

WKR
I am looking into AK Dall sheep outfitters. I know AK has some draw areas and some open areas. I also see that a few places guide in management areas. Before I start calling guides and checking references, are there any areas in particular to try to avoid? Any areas that I should look into more than others? I am looking at this from the viewpoint of pressure, quantity and quality of sheep, and overall hunt quality.

Kimbersig

WKR
I did the same research you are doing two years ago. my findings led me to either the Alaska Range or the Wrangell's. just my personal preference. I found out about the Sole Use Concessions in Alaska. basically you are hunting on National Preserves and they only allow one guide per area. Residents can still hunt it but no other guide can be in there legally where you are at. I really liked the idea of that. Aaron Bloomquist (Alaska Outfitters Unlimited) has one on the Arctic National Wildlife Preserve. Wayne Kubat (Alaska Remote Guide Service) has one in Denali National Preserve. I can't remember the name of the guy that has the Wrangells. I went with Wayne Kubat and loved it. you will pay a little more than some if you go with the guys that have sole guide use areas but I personally liked that idea and was willing to pay more. I don't think there is one area that you need to avoid just certain guides which takes more research to figure that one out. remember you tend to get what you pay for too.

Jonah's Alaskan Adventures. Great Success rates if you do your part and great rams. Best of luck!!!

OP
jwatts

jwatts

WKR
I did the same research you are doing two years ago. my findings led me to either the Alaska Range or the Wrangell's. just my personal preference. I found out about the Sole Use Concessions in Alaska. basically you are hunting on National Preserves and they only allow one guide per area. Residents can still hunt it but no other guide can be in there legally where you are at. I really liked the idea of that. Aaron Bloomquist (Alaska Outfitters Unlimited) has one on the Arctic National Wildlife Preserve. Wayne Kubat (Alaska Remote Guide Service) has one in Denali National Preserve. I can't remember the name of the guy that has the Wrangells. I went with Wayne Kubat and loved it. you will pay a little more than some if you go with the guys that have sole guide use areas but I personally liked that idea and was willing to pay more. I don't think there is one area that you need to avoid just certain guides which takes more research to figure that one out. remember you tend to get what you pay for too.

Thanks for the insight. I wasn't quite sure how that worked. Some of the ones I was looking at had mention of exclusive areas in the preserves.

OP
jwatts

jwatts

WKR
He should be, his guides are all top notch, lots of rams, I hope you get to enjoy a sheep hunt soon! All the best!

Thanks. I have been working on getting in better than elk shape. I have been putting back money and am almost all the way to where I need to be to cover the entire cost. Now all I need to do is get on the list and drop a deposit. For that kind of money I want to make sure I research as in depth as I can prior to making a commitment.

Wingert

FNG
I was in your position a few years ago and spent almost 2 years doing research and contacting guides before selecting one I wanted to hunt with. There are a number of factors that go into a Dall Sheep hunt that I think you've probably begun to understand: Mountain Range (rams horns are different from each), your physical ability (horseback hunt, backpack, fly-in, walk-in, or combination, amount of time you have available to hunt and the cost.

I decided I wanted to try to harvest a mature representation of a Dall sheep with flaring horns so I selected the Wrrangell Mountains. The rams there have the distinct tip-out of the horn as it becomes full curl, where as a ram from the Chugach for instance tips in at the bottom of the curl and it's tighter (sometimes). I also wanted to experience a true Alaska adventure so I wanted a guide that would access the country via Super Cub and then be able to backpack from there. I'm in good physical shape and felt the plane access would limit the walk-in pressure as well as be more remote.

When I had completed my research I talked to 4 guides that met my requirements. I finally partnered with Cole Ellis and couldn't have been happier. Cole has been an Alaskan resident for 40+ years and lives at the end of the Nabesna road. His hunts are conducted in the Wrangell-St. Elias preserve. Cole fly's his Super Cub daily like you and I drive a car - he knows where the sheep are because he lives where the sheep are. I found Cole to be honest as the day is long, he and his wife Christy raised their two kids and live year round at this location where he traps in the winter and works on planes.

Cole wants you be successful and will do everything ethically possible to see that you have a good hunt. He flew me out to a pre-established camp where we didn't eat mountain house, but rather had pancakes/eggs for breakfast, lunch meat for sandwiches, and real provisions for supper. We left each morning with our packs to hunt a drainage where we may spike out or possibly return to camp at night. He was willing to move the assistant guide and I had we not connected on a ram to another location - which he did do.

I would say that a Dall sheep hunt has to be near the pinnacle of hunting feats. The effort one puts into physical training, unbelievable scenery of being on top of the mountains, personal time it takes and the financial dedication all come together to make it an experience that goes way too fast.

I emphasize the importance of the partnership you have with the guide you select as that person completely controls the experience you'll have as well as the opportunity for meeting your dream of taking a Dall sheep. Cole exceeded my expectations on every level and I've since hunted with him numerous times.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have regarding an Alaskan hunt. If what I've described for a hunt aligned with your aspirations, give Cole a call at 907-822-5312 and talk directly with him and outline what you're looking for. Note that Cole is so remote that they use a radio phone that is shared with his brother Kirk so if you call - please ask for Cole or Christy.

Part of the fun is the research so enjoy the trip......

Best of luck
Wingert

OP
jwatts

jwatts

WKR
I was in your position a few years ago and spent almost 2 years doing research and contacting guides before selecting one I wanted to hunt with. There are a number of factors that go into a Dall Sheep hunt that I think you've probably begun to understand: Mountain Range (rams horns are different from each), your physical ability (horseback hunt, backpack, fly-in, walk-in, or combination, amount of time you have available to hunt and the cost.

I decided I wanted to try to harvest a mature representation of a Dall sheep with flaring horns so I selected the Wrrangell Mountains. The rams there have the distinct tip-out of the horn as it becomes full curl, where as a ram from the Chugach for instance tips in at the bottom of the curl and it's tighter (sometimes). I also wanted to experience a true Alaska adventure so I wanted a guide that would access the country via Super Cub and then be able to backpack from there. I'm in good physical shape and felt the plane access would limit the walk-in pressure as well as be more remote.

When I had completed my research I talked to 4 guides that met my requirements. I finally partnered with Cole Ellis and couldn't have been happier. Cole has been an Alaskan resident for 40+ years and lives at the end of the Nabesna road. His hunts are conducted in the Wrangell-St. Elias preserve. Cole fly's his Super Cub daily like you and I drive a car - he knows where the sheep are because he lives where the sheep are. I found Cole to be honest as the day is long, he and his wife Christy raised their two kids and live year round at this location where he traps in the winter and works on planes.

Cole wants you be successful and will do everything ethically possible to see that you have a good hunt. He flew me out to a pre-established camp where we didn't eat mountain house, but rather had pancakes/eggs for breakfast, lunch meat for sandwiches, and real provisions for supper. We left each morning with our packs to hunt a drainage where we may spike out or possibly return to camp at night. He was willing to move the assistant guide and I had we not connected on a ram to another location - which he did do.

I would say that a Dall sheep hunt has to be near the pinnacle of hunting feats. The effort one puts into physical training, unbelievable scenery of being on top of the mountains, personal time it takes and the financial dedication all come together to make it an experience that goes way too fast.

I emphasize the importance of the partnership you have with the guide you select as that person completely controls the experience you'll have as well as the opportunity for meeting your dream of taking a Dall sheep. Cole exceeded my expectations on every level and I've since hunted with him numerous times.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have regarding an Alaskan hunt. If what I've described for a hunt aligned with your aspirations, give Cole a call at 907-822-5312 and talk directly with him and outline what you're looking for. Note that Cole is so remote that they use a radio phone that is shared with his brother Kirk so if you call - please ask for Cole or Christy.

Part of the fun is the research so enjoy the trip......

Best of luck
Wingert

Man, thanks for the write up. I had seen Cole's name a few times during my research. I will look into him a little more. Thanks again.

VernAK

WKR
The Ellis Family has been guiding in that area since WWII era. They know their business well!
I think they may have a new bush pilot outfit try to infringe on their area now and then but they know how to handle that guy.

oenanthe

WKR
+1 on the Ellis family. I've flown with Cole and would do so again without hesitation. I think the business is called Devil's Mountain Lodge.

oenanthe

WKR

Yes, the federal land managers in Alaska have established guide concession areas. This applies to some wildlife refuges (ANWR) as well as the Preserves. Folks should be aware that even if a guide has "exclusive" use of an area they may still see other hunters. Air services and resident hunters still compete with guides in these areas.

It's unfortunate that the State has not been able to implement a similar program on State lands.

OP
jwatts

jwatts

WKR
Thanks for all of the suggestions. One more question. I am seeing the Wrangells, Brooks, and Alaska range come up a lot. One other outfitter I was looking at guides some hunts in the Talkeetnas. How is the pressure and quality in that range?

Wingert

FNG
You can probably get an answer to the pressure in the Talkeetna mountains by contacting Jake Jefferson who is on this forum and goes by BRWNBR (I think) as he guides in that range.

OP
jwatts

jwatts

WKR
You can probably get an answer to the pressure in the Talkeetna mountains by contacting Jake Jefferson who is on this forum and goes by BRWNBR (I think) as he guides in that range.
I actually PMd him earlier. I wasn't sure which range he hunted.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Ray

WKR
Thanks for all of the suggestions. One more question. I am seeing the Wrangells, Brooks, and Alaska range come up a lot. One other outfitter I was looking at guides some hunts in the Talkeetnas. How is the pressure and quality in that range?

Its hard country for a sheep. There are plenty of legal rams, but they don't get huge or very old. There are quite a few harvested with severe horn damage. Not just broomed off tips, but smashed way up high, probably from a fall. There is a lot of pressure from the locals and guides since it is close to town and open to anyone with a harvest ticket. However, few locals get deep enough into that sheep country to be successful. And even if they do, they struggle to harvest. My fear of heights keeps me pretty well grounded in the middle parts of that country.

OP
jwatts

jwatts

WKR
Its hard country for a sheep. There are plenty of legal rams, but they don't get huge or very old. There are quite a few harvested with severe horn damage. Not just broomed off tips, but smashed way up high, probably from a fall. There is a lot of pressure from the locals and guides since it is close to town and open to anyone with a harvest ticket. However, few locals get deep enough into that sheep country to be successful. And even if they do, they struggle to harvest. My fear of heights keeps me pretty well grounded in the middle parts of that country.

I didn't realize it was that rough in the Talkeetnas. That may help me make my mind up there.