suggestion on first sheep hunt (where)

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
suggestions as in where to?

I may yet someday draw a bighorn tag here (Montana), but I have a bug to hunt sheep that needs fed relatively soon :)

willing to pony up the bucks (may take a couple of years to save), but less expensive would be better

looking for non-draw preferably, which probably means outfitted hunt, which is fine

options as far as species, locations, ballpark costs?

thanks in advance

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Non draw? Not a lot of options but your best bet is in your backyard. The unlimited area. Alaska is the next cheapest options but you are looking at $15 grand. Things go WAY up from there.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
thanks, I'll look into Dall in AK- I take it the options in Canada are more expensive yet?

I had a chance to work some in the unlimited areas, I thought it was a little 'hurried" (and crowded)- maybe I should revisit it????

Kimbersig

WKR
yes Canada is more expensive. there is typically a reason for that though. Canada usually kills larger and older rams than Alaska. there is another thread going with info on alaska guides. i'd check that out.

Canada you are looking at around $25,000 after you factor in travel and charter flights. AK is more like $15-20k out the door.

jwatts

WKR
I have a thread going on here about Alaska sheep hunting areas. Check it out. There is a lot of good info and outfitter recommendations.

jherald

WKR
Alaska will likely get you the cheapest guided hunt if you want a Dall Sheep. Cheaper being 15k ish range. If you do some serious research you'll find a good guide who doesnt cut corners and is serious about hunting. Cancellation hunts are a great way to go about it. I mentioned once that the sheep banquets can be a good place to network and buy into the drawings and givaways they have. I personally know someone who won a guided stone sheep hunt at one of the banquets and the numbers of tickets are more limited usually than other state lotteries for tags.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll check that thread out- thanks

good idea- I should network w/ the neighbor down the street, I believe he is the president of the Montana Sheep Foundation

dotman

WKR
You can hunt just north of Glacier National Park in BC for bighorn, no flights needed just drive up. Also no bush flights required but prices are still in the $12k range. The diff really is the bush flights as they are not really included in most prices I've seen for AK hunts.

Ftguides

Lil-Rokslider
dall in AK as others have posted

other species, hunts under $30k, are 30-40% or less success rate. BC bighorns, some alberta bighorns, etc...

the best rugged mountain species to start on is goats. less expensive options, more options. if you can hunt them consistently you can deal with the physical aspects off all the sheep hunts. you can learn to glass hunting mulies or coues deer, if you dont already have that skillset.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
driving would definitely be a plus :)

I used to live in Eureka, we were 4 miles from the BC border- spent a fair bit of time north of the border kicking around- some really pretty country

Kimbersig

WKR
You can hunt just north of Glacier National Park in BC for bighorn, no flights needed just drive up. Also no bush flights required but prices are still in the $12k range. The diff really is the bush flights as they are not really included in most prices I've seen for AK hunts.

Are you sure on your prices? most Rocky hunts I've seen in BC or Alberta is in the $30-40k range.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
12k would definitely put in the ballpark for me, 30-40 puts it well out of the ballpark :)

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just found one that advertised a $12000 bighorn hunt, but required a $19000 trophy fee upon harvest- that's a little steep for my budget

not sure if they are all like that????

Ftguides

Lil-Rokslider
BC hunts are $40k+ if they are 3/4 curl hunts in areas with good success. Full curl only hunts are around for cheaper, but you have to understand that rockies almost always broom between 3/4 and full. That makes for a tough hunt. You can get it done, but you are comparing apples to oranges.

dotman

WKR
Are you sure on your prices? most Rocky hunts I've seen in BC or Alberta is in the $30-40k range.

Yup, add another $8k for mt goat. Brian Martin even gave me a call to discuss when I was talking to the outfitter. Now this was last year so I would think pricing is similar, just remember prices and trophy fees are negotiable.

I wouldn't expect to get a trophy ram.

dvm_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Dall Sheep: 15-20K
Bighorn Sheep: 30-45K
Stone Sheep: 35-50k
Desert Bighorn: 55-90K
Barbary Sheep: 5-6k
Marco Polo-35-50K

These are as of last fall. I'm waiting to see if I can draw a Rocky Mtn Bighorn or a Desert Bighorn for awhile before I consider dropping money on one of those hunts. A lot of people overlook Barbary sheep (Audad), but they're just as hard and the terrain is definitely still tough. Free Range hunts can be had in western Texas or drawing a tag in New Mexico. You may also consider Ibex in New Mexico as well if you're wanting to somewhat scratch your sheep itch.

Ftguides

Lil-Rokslider
Yup, add another $8k for mt goat. Brian Martin even gave me a call to discuss when I was talking to the outfitter. Now this was last year so I would think pricing is similar, just remember prices and trophy fees are negotiable.

I wouldn't expect to get a trophy ram.

If it came from Bryan it was true and might be a great opportunity. He is about as good of a resource as any on this topic.

204guy

WKR
It would appear from your fitness threads and the fact that you live in MT that you're probably ready to go on sheep hunt at any given time. I'm also guessing you wouldn't need any new gear. This is a big advantage and can save you a lot of $. Usually about 30-50%. So if your work & family obligations allow it a cancellation hunt would be perfect for you. Tanner on hear had an AK dall cancellation hunt for $10,000 last year. I've seen other similar dall cancellation hunts for about the same price. Obviously you'd need to have cash in hand to take advantage of one of these. I went with Jonah Stewart in AK this fall and had a great time. I need to do write up one of these days. I didn't do a cancellation because I needed the structure of pre planned out dates, but from here on out that's likely the only way I would do another high $ hunt.