AK Dall Sheep Gear and Prep

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Take lots of photos and then take more. And be sure to share them with us when you get back.
Sounds like an absolute hoot.
Enjoy the journey!

Randy

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
consider these:
FW 14 Frost Crampons — Stone Glacier

They are like 4x4 for your feet, I used the heck out of them on Kodiak for a goat hunt a few years ago for the first time and will never be without them in the mountains again. Even if no snow. They were especially good climbing through steep nasty low country with soft ground and totally off camber movements with weight on your back. Really help coming down with meat too.

Not to hijack the thread but I've got a sheep/grizzly hunt in September on the NW slope of the Alaska Range. Pretty stoked as it's my first sheep hunt too. Good luck!

Daniel_M

WKR

Those are good, an exact clone to the Hillsound 6 - only word of caution is the straps get a little short on a size 13+ boot. I have to crank them down, which had led to forefoot pain while descending with a heavy load. Also the buckle will get tripped in the brush so wearing gaiters over them is almost mandatory.

OP
B

bates

WKR
Thanks I will give those a look.

Training is moving along, down close to 12lbs and 6-10 more to go. Hit a bit of a hiccup with a cold and I took 4 days off. But I've moved up to 60-70lbs in the pack for my hikes and added 2 1 hour high intensity classes per week to get some interval training in and constantly upping my time in the pack.

I feel good but still feel I am behind. I guess there is no way to be 100% ready for your first sheep hunt

I will be in Jackson Wyoming for a few days coming up and will get a chance to spend some time in the mountains to see where I'm at.

Really looking forward to getting away and being in sheep country.

OP
B

bates

WKR
Yes my rangefinder has built angle comp. inside of 600 yards which is where i plan on taking the shot from.

I think we are at 16 days until I leave, i think the next week is going to be the toughest part. Just a few more hikes and a few more workouts.

i will admit i am pretty tired of the training, its just so hot down here, i did 5 miles Saturday morning with 75lbs and i was absolutely soaking wet head to toe then ran 10 miles (a personal best for me) but ended up finishing in the rain the last couple of miles. Saturday was probably as close as i have come to hitting the wall in training.

I am really looking forward to boarding the plane and heading north, i really didn't understand what all is involved in a hunt like this, lots of logistics in travel and oh so much to do. I have been making a point to get out a shoot the last week or so and will continue, probably overlooked that a bit, but i have an accurate rifle and its hitting where it should.

i have already packed and re packed a few times and i am sure i will a few more times before i leave, but feel everything is in order and keep removing an item here and there while fine tuning things.

I did end up renting a sat phone to call home, my wife is a bit anxious about me being gone this long and we have a 5 and 1.5 year old so she will have her hands busy while i am away, but think it will be good to call and talk the her and the kids while i am away.

I would like to ask for some advice on 2 pieces of gear

1. Gloves-- ok so i pretty much have every KUIU glove made, 210 merino, 200 peleton, down mitts, northstar, guide and Yukon.

which ones would you recommend? Right now i am planning on taking the 200 peleton, and either the guide or yukon gloves. will probably take the down mitts as well and make the final decision on those at base camp, it doesnt look like the northstar are going to make the trip north.

does that sound right? being from Fl i typically like a glove as im not used to the cold and want to protect them in the rocks. i was kinda thinking if forecast looks like lots of rain or snow take the yukon and if it looks more mild then take the guide.

OP
B

bates

WKR
The Second area is Optics

At this point i have pretty much made up my mind that i will not be taking my spotter, i have played this over and over in my head and just feel that the weight savings in the mountains will be worth it, all the guides carry swaro spotters.

I also have a 24x great piece of glass on my scope that i could take a look at the sheep with.

that leaves me to binos

originally i was going to take my 8x32's along with my spotter but since i am going to leave the spotter, i am thinking about taking my 12x50's

i love those binos

but should i also take a 2lb tripod for them? i feel it would be worth the weight for the ability to glass of the tripod i can handhold them or use off a trekking pole but if we had an extended glassing session then to me the tripod would be worth it

i have a smaller carbon and the outdoorsmans micro panhead that is just perfect for binos.

my main reason that i was going to take the spotter wasnt really about judging the sheep but just being able to really take in the views and have a solid platform to observe sheep and hopefully a nice grizzly.

daddie63

WKR
Sorry I can't offer any help with your optics decision, I've never hunted sheep but best of luck on your hunt. Sounds like a great adventure and I'm looking forward to reading about it when you get back.

oenanthe

WKR
On the gloves - I usually take just one pair of medium-weight pile gloves on sheep hunts. That has worked for me for 20 years or so. Note that most of my base layers have long sleeves with thumb-holes for extra warmth, and I try to pick raingear with sleeves long enough to cover the back of the hand.

On the few occasions when it's been exceptionally cold I use my spare socks as mittens, or if it's really wet, I pull a couple of plastic bags out of my food bag.

vj88

FNG
If you get a chance I would talk to your guide for last minute recommendations. Since your guide has a spotter I would not carry one. I use 10x42's. 8x42's might be small but I wouldn't pack a tripod for the big binos if I carried them. most hunts come to 40-60 miles for me so any additional weight is huge. However if you need them to find animals then pack them. Good luck and good work on working out. Keep pushing in the mountains and you will find your sheep. The brooks are my favorite range to hike by far!

oenanthe

WKR
On the optics: if your guide has a good spotter there's no need to take one.

I hunted sheep for years with 8x23 and 8x36 binos to save weight. The 8x23 give up a lot of low light performance. 8x36 does OK but I now prefer the additional magnification of 10x42, maybe because my eyes are getting old.

There's no way I'd haul a pair of 12x50s around. Although you do spend a lot of time sitting and glassing while sheep hunting, a lot of the time you're hiking along and just need a quick look to confirm whether that white spot is a sheep or a rock. So your binos need to be handy at all times. I can't imagine hiking with a pair of 12x50s around my neck all day. I'd leave the tripod at home, too - you just need one tripod to use with the scope.

Just my opinions - YMMV! It sure seems to me like you are well-prepared, with good gear, good planning, and good conditioning. Good luck out there!

OP
B

bates

WKR
thanks for the info

technically the 12x50 are only 5.4oz heavier than a set of 10x42 and end up pretty close to the same weight as the el ranges.

i carry in the alaska guide creations small pack, i have covered lots of miles with them and hardy notice, yes the 32's you barely notice but i enjoy glassing alot more with the 12's in bigger country

204guy

WKR
Bates- I wouldn't take a tripod just for the binos. I brought my outdoorsmans bino adapter with last year since, I already had my tripod and a spotter. I never used it. While you will definitely be spending some time behind the glass you're not really picking the country apart like you would hunting mule deer. The sheep are just much easier to spot. I had 8.5x42's and I was easily seeing sheep 4+ miles away. 8x32 or 12x50 really a personal choice, I'd probably lean towards the 8's though I do love my 12X El's- but they don't really come into their own until they're on the tripod though.

Don't take this the wrong way but ease up on the training. Right now isn't really the time to be pushing out personal best's. Let your body recover these last 2 weeks and just maintain where you're at. It's to late to make anymore gains anyways. And DO NOT injure yourself, seriously that would be about the most devastating thing you could do right now.

I would probably take the 200 and the Yukon for gloves.

OP
B

bates

WKR
Thanks for the advice, this past weekend was my last big push in training, i will be coasting for now. i had a goal to be able to run 10 miles before this hunt and wanted to see it through.

probably just hit the stepmill a few times with a moderate pack but lots of foam rolling and stretching until i leave

wyosteve

WKR
As far as gloves, I have some Kuiu gloves, but my go to for an early season hunt have been the Sitka Talus and/or a pair of leather gloves that Sam's Club sells. The Sitka ones are mostly synthetic so should dry if they get wet. The all leather ones are great for rock climbing, but they suck if they get wet. I don't think you'd have any need for the down mitts or even the Yukons.

Maverick940

Banned
............. mostly synthetic so should dry if they get wet.

This is an extremely important aspect of any hunt, no matter what animal you're hunting. But possibly even more important when hunting from a cramped mountaineering tent that's perched among the rocks in the alpine.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
For gloves, I really like the Kuiu guide with either the Merino or peloton base liners, I like the pelotons slightly better but would use either. I havnt carried a spotter for a few years now for exactly the reason you mentioned, but this year I wont be going guided so I may need to re think things.