Anybody want to put in for Poor man's sheep?

OP
TexanSam

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
A lot don't venture too far off the roads, which are washed out. To even get into good sheep country you have to hike in most compartments. To be fair, its just not the average hunting style most folks are accustom to, its no deer blind hunt (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Aoudads blend in well in that country, a spotting scope is invaluable. I'd rent one if you don't own one or cant borrow one.

A friend of mine drew a hunt and had the game warden at it tell him that a lot of people when they draw find out that it isn't going to be a hunt where you sit in a comfy blind in front of a corn feeder, they drop out.

OP
TexanSam

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
Technically you're not applying for a tag, but for access to a state park that is closing for a predetermined period of time to allow people to hunt on it since aoudad are non-native exotics in Texas, so therefore if you have the access rights, it is a free for all as far as shooting them goes (and all other non-game exotics)

So to answer your question, yes you do need a non-resident license if you draw.

Huh . . . I don't think I've seen that before anywhere in my entire life.

Please stop at the aoudad hunt.....rest is top secret

Texas draw hunts are actually best deal in lower 48 for NR. Even public land Alligator hunts.

You do need a non resident license plus the tag

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

No tag just hunting license. The draw hunts actually don't even use your tags(whitetail and Mulie) they have there own.

For NR Exotics you can get the NR 5 days hunting and it's $48. You can get it after you draw also. Just have to have to hunt.

Stein

FNG
If you are looking at Palo Duro, pm me. I quit applying when that rule came out but would love to go. We have an office 20 min away and I'm there 5-10 times a year and could set us up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
Do you happen to know the quality of rams that may be available? Is it more of a meat hunt or is there potential for a whopper ram. I enjoy eating wild game but am also interested in being selective and getting a nice ram.

JWP58

WKR
Do you happen to know the quality of rams that may be available? Is it more of a meat hunt or is there potential for a whopper ram. I enjoy eating wild game but am also interested in being selective and getting a nice ram.

It takes a while for rams to get big in that country. What do you consider a whopper?

It's a tough hunt. There are no protections or age restrictions out side the The PD WMA. It's traditionally a mid 30% success hunt(no age or sex restrictions) . It's a population control hunt not a trophy hunt. There are some really big rams there. The other two CR and DR offer similar odds.

Also more then just PD area for aoudads.

Last edited:

JWP58

WKR
I saw photos from park staff of (if I recall correctly) an 11yr old ram that was about 31". That is going to be the exception not the norm. I shot a 6yr old ram that was a little over 25".

I got not selected for Caprock Canyons and Pending 2nd Draw for Devils River and Garner, so probably struck out.

Maybe I'll hit the powerball tonight!