Best Sheep Photo Contest, sponsored by Kenetrek Boots

Not a native sheep, but they're definitely wild, wary, and wise. There aren't many sheep like this left in the OTC area, and my smile can't accurately portray the immense joy I was feeling at the time.

70371a46baa8e5cc83bad76ceedf592b.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mwhamm

FNG
e434133c9345ae8dd0ece0d394a70bd3.jpg

bebafaeec9ebde8daad7c6cfcae3874f.jpg

Opening day ram - Talkeetna Mountains

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

norsepeak

Lil-Rokslider
A ewe mount with a ram or two just looks nice.

ZLTLgnbl.jpg
Great pic. Wondering if you could PM with the details about that gun. I'm in the process of building one myself. Would like to know about yours without hijacking this picture thread. Thanks.

The pistol in the picture is an older Thompson Center Contender that I picked up second hand. It originally came with a 223 barrel, but this fall I found a 41 magnum barrel made by TC in a local shop and had to have it. In the photo, I am using the 41 mag barrel, and a older 2x Leupold pistol scope in some Burris rings. I hand loaded for this and was using a custom 250 gr roundnose, plain base bullet pushed by 8 gr of unique. In a 4 inch barrel revolver, this load is supposed to do 1,000 FPS, so out of a 14 inch Contender barrel I suspect 1200-1400 FPS, maybe a bit more. The 41 mag contender barrel is tight chambered and has a very short throat, so many of the larger cast bullets that I normally hunt with would not fit. Also, I am having some issues with Star-Line brass since it has thicker case walls and is too tight/will not chamber. Not sure if the tight chambers is common in these barrels or just this one.

As you can tell, these ewes are not very big, and a 243 would be an excellent rifle round.

The pistol in the picture is an older Thompson Center Contender that I picked up second hand. It originally came with a 223 barrel, but this fall I found a 41 magnum barrel made by TC in a local shop and had to have it. In the photo, I am using the 41 mag barrel, and a older 2x Leupold pistol scope in some Burris rings. I hand loaded for this and was using a custom 250 gr roundnose, plain base bullet pushed by 8 gr of unique. In a 4 inch barrel revolver, this load is supposed to do 1,000 FPS, so out of a 14 inch Contender barrel I suspect 1200-1400 FPS, maybe a bit more. The 41 mag contender barrel is tight chambered and has a very short throat, so many of the larger cast bullets that I normally hunt with would not fit. Also, I am having some issues with Star-Line brass since it has thicker case walls and is too tight/will not chamber. Not sure if the tight chambers is common in these barrels or just this one.

As you can tell, these ewes are not very big, and a 243 would be an excellent rifle round.

Very cool. Thanks for the info. I’ve got an older Contender in .223 and a contender carbine in 7-30 waters. Awesome guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ndbuck09

WKR
2017 Idaho Ram

September 5th, 2017 is a day that I will never forget. Once in a lifetime is the literal term for an Idaho Bighorn Ram. Took this ram after 6 days of solo hunting (after 12 days of scouting), dealing with amazingly oppressive heat bivyd out in a rock formation with no shade. The temps were over 100 in the shade a couple days. It was so incredibly mentally and physically challenging dealing with rationing water and lots of vert. But after all the challenges, you are drawn to the feeling of those amazing horns filling your glass! I do have to thank Tim and Jon from here in Idaho as well as Nathan with IDF&G for all the help and chats about strategy and drainages! My amazing wife must be thanked too for all of her dedication to scouting with me and helping pack the ram up, straight up, 24-2500ft of vert to get him home!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/G6EjX2]Ram Curl by jmille28, on Flickr[/URL]

slick

WKR
Montana. Lee Metcalf Wilderness.

Attachments

• Ewe2.jpg
    Ewe2.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 126