New Full Curl Field Guide for Dall Sheep

Thanks for posting. Good to see Fish and Game making a quality effort in educating Alaska hunters to the nuances of judging dall sheep.

AlaskaEd

WKR
That's much better than their guidance in the past. Good on them for producing quality material for the beginning Sheep hunter.

colonel00

WKR
Interesting info. I can only hope that one day I have the chance to sit and glass sheep looking for a legal ram. By no means am I saying its easy or I can do it myself but if I have to pay $30K plus for some guide to tell me to shoot a ram (even though if he messes up it still is on me since I'm pulling the trigger) you'd hope it would be cut and dry just like for that 1st time resident hunter that just got his residency (jealous). That said, I've tried to learn enough that I fully understand how difficult it truly is to judge a full curl.

Anyway, I do agree that it's nice to see some info being distributed. I just think they've always been hesitant because once it's in writing, it's the "gospel" versus a potentially lenient interpretation.

OP
W

wantj43

Lil-Rokslider
A much needed booklet.....almost as good as talking to Joe in person!
Thank you. Lots of people worked on the book.
The booklet is at the printer's and should be in some of the ADF&G offices later in the week. The booklet is being printed on high quality paper and will fit in a pocket.
Good luck this fall.
Joe

oenanthe

WKR
Joe: Thanks for your efforts on this! The booklet has a lot of good information and will be useful for a lot of people.

P.S. Am I the only one who's amused that Joe shows up as a "Junior Member"? It's just based on post count, I know, but maybe something like "Oracle" would be more appropriate. Mods? :D

VernAK

WKR
Joe: Thanks for your efforts on this! The booklet has a lot of good information and will be useful for a lot of people.

P.S. Am I the only one who's amused that Joe shows up as a "Junior Member"? It's just based on post count, I know, but maybe something like "Oracle" would be more appropriate. Mods? :D

AGREED!........A wealth of hunting knowledge and experience in Joe.

Bambistew

WKR
Good stuff.

I have a question on the picture on page 20. Isn't the 2nd ring missing? Seems like an awful lot of horn growth from a lamb tip to the first marked annuls. I realize this image is to depict false annuli, but the demarcation has me confused.

kad11

WKR
Would anyone be willing to ship one of these to MT when they become available? I'd be happy to pay for postage.

OP
W

wantj43

Lil-Rokslider
Would anyone be willing to ship one of these to MT when they become available? I'd be happy to pay for postage.

If you call the ADF&G office Fairbanks they may be able to mail a copy.
Joe

kad11

WKR
If you call the ADF&G office Fairbanks they may be able to mail a copy.
Joe

Good idea. I emailed the office today so hopefully they'll be able to ship them out. The PDF version is outstanding and clears up a lot of the questions I had about legality.

Thanks for your work on this Joe!

oenanthe

WKR
Good stuff.

I have a question on the picture on page 20. Isn't the 2nd ring missing? Seems like an awful lot of horn growth from a lamb tip to the first marked annuls. I realize this image is to depict false annuli, but the demarcation has me confused.

I agree with you - this one is a bit of a headscratcher.

OP
W

wantj43

Lil-Rokslider
Good stuff.

Certainly a fair question.
Usually at the "18 month" groove there will be small ridges on each side of the groove on the frontal (butting) surface of the horn and the outer surface will have an oval shape. The "30 month" groove is usually the first groove that Saint Venant's curve is developed; the horn takes on a triangular appearance and on the inner surface of the frontal surface develops a ridge (obviously not visible in the example on page 20).
I can post some examples if you think they would help.
Thank you for the question.
Joe

Certainly a fair question.
Usually at the "18 month" groove there will be small ridges on each side of the groove on the frontal (butting) surface of the horn and the outer surface will have an oval shape. The "30 month" groove is usually the first groove that Saint Venant's curve is developed; the horn takes on a triangular appearance and on the inner surface of the frontal surface develops a ridge (obviously not visible in the example on page 20).
I can post some examples if you think they would help.
Thank you for the question.
Joe

Joe, I speak for myself when I say I would love to see some examples. I think it would help us all become better at judging sheep and understanding the nuances of sheep horn growth.