Basic Barbary info?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm developing some interest in going on a barbary hunt here sooner or later and want to start doing my research. I am not really familiar with them yet and know it can be overwhelming initially researching a new species (where are good concentrations, how long to draw, etc.) I was curious if someone could point me in the right direction and save me some time in regards to what state(s) are better suggestions to get out afield when starting from scratch (if points are a factor vs true lottery)? Merely looking for hunt opportunity, not trophy animals. Appreciate any assistance, feel free to PM if preferred.

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
South West Texas has a bunch of cheap sheep (talking about free range without high fence or feeders). It's all cattle ranches on privet and not much public property. When I looked into it, I think the daws were taking 3+ points for public (iirc). If you're dead set on a public land hunt, it might take a bit. Quickest way to go, is using an outfitter to access cattle ranches in SW TX. Some offer diy options. You're going to pay pretty good to get access to the property though. As barbery sheep keep gaining popularity, the prices to access the privet property will keep going up, and I imagine the point creep to draw public land will go up.

Unless I hunt Black Hawaiian in HI, aoudad might be my only chance at any sheep. AK, BC, and NWT are out of the question. I just can't see myself being able to justify that kind of money for a hunt.

You can do DIY with Mike for under $2k if you are doing the hunt soon or if you can jump on a cancellation. The non-resident license cost is $48. You are primarily paying for the access to land (and wayyyy better sheep numbers than public land).

Otherwise I think New Mexico has areas that are OTC but extremely limited populations. They also have draw hunts and I believe New Mexico is a straight draw state (no pref/bonus points).

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
I am guessing that is a four figure endeavor (that likely doesn't start with a 1 at that)? If so not going to fit the budget.

You might try for NM then. I believe odds of a sheep are pretty low, because the numbers just aren't there like in SW TX. But I think there was an OTC tag.

chawes79

FNG
Rugged terrain. I ended up getting a sheep, toughest hunt I've ever done.

NTO

FNG
Call Mike like the others said have done 2 self guided with him both successful hunts. Hardest hunts of my life and I have done some rough 3rd world countries but nothing like hunting SW TX on your own.

JPD350

WKR
NM has a year round OTC tag but the locals hunt pretty hard for them so you really got to put some time in away from the vehicle, so if you have the time through the year then its a great deal.

I bought a tag Monday night and went out Tuesday and hunted 4 hours and killed a little 18" ram, last year I spent 7 full days before I laid eyes on one and then killed a ewe on the 8th day, you just never know how hard or how easy its going to be, either outing could have produced a big mature ram but I am into eating more then horns.