"The Doubler"

Stid2677

WKR
Over the years I've come to learn that the weather in the Northern Brooks Range, is much like Kodiak. You get a low front and then a day or 2 of high pressure, rinse repeat and add some water in the form of rain, fog, snow, sleet often all at once. So this year I planned for staying a long time and using rafts to float out the rams and gear. Just what my 95mm Swaro needed was the new Swaro ME 1.7x magnification extender, Mr Ryan Avery was nice enough to loan me his for this hunt.

We get a weather window,, here we go........

arX5iGBh.jpg

Musk Ox

tj8Lx2Qh.jpg

Rafts used to cross flood stage river.

LfX0dq8h.jpg

As we got close to spike camp I saw a raven fly and found this......

WZKIgbkh.jpg

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
We get cozy at spike camp and try not to think about the nearby meat cache, the Grizz seems to be keeping the sheep out of the area as we see very little. We do spot a ram and the big eye is put to work.

sM6kKHVh.jpg

Fu2cWIUh.jpg

As we are glassing the Grizzly that killed the Bou walks almost into camp as he approached our blind from a spot we could not see. Stuff got real for a second or two, at about 15 feet I yelled and he stood and woofed and away he went. Chris killed a nice Grizzly last sheep hunt and I have a Kodiak spring tag.

The next day was the opener and we were eager to get at it, but the fog monster was in effect.....

textmHth.jpg

A tease of blue sky,,, lets roll.

DTyYrcFh.jpg

Toooooo Soon.

v4tL1PRh.jpg

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
The fog lifted and we started looking for some rams,, the 95mm with the extender gave us 120 power. We were able to cover vast distances and discount young rams and ewes. What a pleasant day to spend in the sheep mountains.

VjMSA11h.jpg

As we glassed and ease up I spotted a ram up a draw.

frBDfYDh.jpg

He was about 1k yards away, we glassed him up and I could see he was not full curl but was probably 8 years old. He seemed okay with us so we just watched him and continued to glass. I decided I was not interested in taking him, but thought we could push to within range and have a close look and if Chris wanted he could harvest him. We setup on a rock shelf at about 450 yards and I got him in the big eye, he looked 8, and I ask Chris to look,, as he was in the spotter I see another ram,, I ask Chris to put the spotter on him and when he does he see a 3rd ram,,, and he is a no spotter needed shooter. I look once and start digging out my earplugs, all I said was "I'm going to kill him" Chris called range, I turned my dial on my Adirondack to 465, got a rest quick look to make sure I'm on ole dirty and boom. Direct hit in the boiler, he is humped up and weaving, shot 2 goes just high. No need, he drops and rolls down all the way to the draw below.

9hAFAmph.jpg

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
The next day, I did the cape and horns and got ready to float back down. With the bear sign and lack of rams, we decided to pull back and hunt another drainage for the 2nd ram.

EHCfSjfh.jpg

PwdhM2vh.jpg

TqcNJumh.jpg

jZ6Lb2Bh.jpg

c0Yyk4Yh.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
The float/walk back was sketchy, but doable. Amazing the abuse those blow up toys took, the smaller Yak would not have floated a ram, but the explorer did okay, would not go smaller. Back at the drop point, we dried our gear and built a meat cache. We knew from the sat phone and inreach we had a blow coming and we made ready for it. We were going to have to sit out 2 or 3 days of crap weather to get another window for a 2nd ram.

s6mVNt1h.jpg

jnuKdpah.jpg

2SJeHmEh.jpg

Found a spring and made the cache over that.

sBiDFIHh.jpg

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
The weather did go to crap and for the next 3 days we did lots of this......

mq40vzDh.jpg

DMtvCq6h.jpg

Deln5MSh.jpg

During the storm, the ole Sawtooth started to show her age,, zipper kept coming apart and we had a seam fail from ground up to the first tie out. The ole girl has been strong for 7 years and seen over 10 dead rams. Time for a new Sawtooth for next year.

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
Here we go after number two...

ZmfHYIFh.jpg

Found this ole warrior.

rSOGXj9h.jpg

Chris in the big eye,, we find a ram he likes. Too late today, make a plan in the am.

6zEyRWFh.jpg

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
Up early and we see he is still there, we know where he feeds and sleeps, so let go!!!

We "Look and move,, then repeat.

g3pErDKh.jpg

See lots of Bou

tmZNyEWh.jpg

Another bear.

331XpSeh.jpg

Getting closer.

2JkmPZmh.jpg

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
We have been at the stalk all day, being forced to move in the open and getting pinned down by the ram and sun in our face. While we waited for the sun to move, he slipped out. We had a good idea from watching him where he would be and made our move, we came over on him and he was at 236 yards, we made ready and double checked that he was what we thought. Chris put the lead to him and we had just pulled off a double!!!

ywNCHiYh.jpg

AhPARW0h.jpg

We got to work and about half way through I was taking a break and spotted a huge grizzly working down the ridge. I told Chris and we admired the huge and beautiful bear. As he came down and cut our wind, he scented the dead ram and here he comes!! He covered about a mile in the blink of an eye and was within rifle range in a hot second. Shots at his feet had no effect I thought for sure we were going to have to kill him. When he ran I climbed up to see if he kept running only to see another bear on the other side of our hill. I pulled bear watch from a sheep bed until we had light to move.

What a clear, calm beautiful night. The clear skies give way to clouds around daylight as another snow storm is coming.

DJlN46Gh.jpg

We get to the river and walk him back to camp.

kM8vSoYh.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
We get him back and cache the meat, and crawl into the warm Sawtooth to ride out the snow and warm up.

eXuoZ78h.jpg

7RkyHfPh.jpg

Ready to float out the last ram.

fsVjkhwh.jpg

Almost home.

nW0m6xNh.jpg

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
Back at the strip, we get the Sawtooth and stove going and hang the meat. Both rams are back and the meat is in pristine shape. We call and await our ride home.

Iw7WPUSh.jpg

okwHnXah.jpg

Even see a Polar Bear on the way home.

MWRs9a3h.jpg

The geese were happy for us. :)

Ur5cFOuh.jpg

Love when a plan comes together.

Steve

Reload

Lil-Rokslider
Mr. Steve, thank you sir for taking us with you on an awesome adventure! Looks like a great time in beautiful country, congratulations!

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
As always Steve, nice work! Thanks for taking time to do these write ups. Congrats to you both.

The Packraft Rondy crew is 3 for 3 so far on sheep this fall.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I know it is old hat for you, but thank you so much for sharing for us that don't get to do those epic hunts every year.

What an awesome trip.

Clarktar

WKR
Thanks for sharing. As usual, your trip reports are always something I look forward too! Hope you write a book someday

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk